Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travelling AC with 2 Dogs YYZ-LHR March 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP Elite

Hoping this question isn't too off topic from AC/AP subjects, and is relevant to this fourm.

I am planning to book myself a o/w J reward tix, YYZ-LHR and book my 2 dogs on the same flight, early March 2011. Have spoken to AC Cargo pet people and have a basic understanding of how it all works. Just wondering if anyone here might have done something simillar with their pet(s), and offer any information.

Have all the UK required paperwork in place (Passport for Pets). Suppose I am concerned about the 2 dogs mostly as they have never been in a crate let alone in an airplanes cargo hold for 7 hours. I know they are placed in the rear cargo hold (pressurized, heated, etc) and removed immediately upon touchdown at LHR, but am still wondering -
- is there a light left on in this compartment (AC said, good question - but they didn't know)
- pre-flight - can I stay with the dogs in the YYZ cargo centre until the very last minute prior to boarding (giving me enough time to make it back to the gate of course)
- how do I be 100% be sure that the dogs have been boarded on the same flight as myself
- any other information I should be aware of

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by DAS1
Hoping this question isn't too off topic from AC/AP subjects, and is relevant to this fourm.

I am planning to book myself a o/w J reward tix, YYZ-LHR and book my 2 dogs on the same flight, early March 2011. Have spoken to AC Cargo pet people and have a basic understanding of how it all works. Just wondering if anyone here might have done something simillar with their pet(s), and offer any information.

Have all the UK required paperwork in place (Passport for Pets). Suppose I am concerned about the 2 dogs mostly as they have never been in a crate let alone in an airplanes cargo hold for 7 hours. I know they are placed in the rear cargo hold (pressurized, heated, etc) and removed immediately upon touchdown at LHR, but am still wondering -
- is there a light left on in this compartment (AC said, good question - but they didn't know)
- pre-flight - can I stay with the dogs in the YYZ cargo centre until the very last minute prior to boarding (giving me enough time to make it back to the gate of course)
- how do I be 100% be sure that the dogs have been boarded on the same flight as myself
- any other information I should be aware of

I can answer Question # 3. The Captain via the flight crew can confirm that your precious cargo are accounted for and on board. They are part of the flight & cargo manifest and this is a very common request.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
....but am still wondering -
1. is there a light left on in this compartment (AC said, good question - but they didn't know)
2. pre-flight - can I stay with the dogs in the YYZ cargo centre until the very last minute prior to boarding (giving me enough time to make it back to the gate of course)
3. how do I be 100% be sure that the dogs have been boarded on the same flight as myself
4. any other information I should be aware of

1. Based on second hand information from ramp agents, there is no light left on in the cargo holds. Lights are turned out by ramp agents or when door is closing. Keep in mind the hold is for containers, your pet will go into the container which then gets put into the cargo hold. The cotnainers definitely do not have lights in them.

2. The YYZ cargo centre is on Britannia road, which is across the field from T1 (the building is beside the infield hold terminal (500-599 gates). I takes about 30 minutes to get from departures level on T1 to the Britannia road location, so I doubt there is time to get from AC Cargo and meet boarding times. From AC Cargo your pet will travel in a container to the aircraft, through a tunnel under 15/33 runway and taxiways. The tunnel pops out just between the taxiways across from T3 Concourse C hammerhead.

3. See AC YYZ/SD response.

4. Confirm with AC whether its AC Cargo or AC that your dealing with for petr transfer. Also check to confirm the timeline for when and where you will need to show up (e.g. Britannia road four hours prior to flight or AC Bag Services at T1 checkin counter.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:10 am

First off the animal will not go into a ULD container in the cargo hold. The crate will be strapped down in the bulk cargo hold. I have never seen a domestic animal placed in a ULD container.

The cargo warehouse is a secure facility, so no you will not be able to stay with your animals after you drop them off at the cargo facility.

As for the light, your pets will be better off not having it on and hope that it will encourage them to sleep the entirety of the flight.

Final thing, do not sedate your dogs for their safety.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
. Suppose I am concerned about the 2 dogs mostly as they have never been in a crate let alone in an airplanes cargo hold for 7 hours. .
What dogs do you have, how long can they go alone? Training the dogs is key to making it a smooth journey for them.

Start crate training your dogs now so when they get to the flight they are not freaked out by the crate.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP Elite
I wanted to say many thanks to all who have responed with their comments - all very useful.

ACYYZ/SD - yes, precious cargo indeed. I will keep in touch with the crew prior to departure
YEG Guy - thanks for your comments. But I feel industry-killer is correct re. the placement of these guys - bulk cargo hold - never in a ULD
industry-killer - I was going to depart from YHZ to keep the flight shorter, and as a smaller station they did say I could stay in the cargo warehouse with the dogs. But understand YYZ is a different situation. LAT is 2 hours so thats not bad. I agree with you re. the light - hoping the darkness will keep them calm. Under no circumstance woulld I consider sedating them - too risky with all that will be going on - good advice. Have confirmed they are carried in the Bulk Cargo Hold - in all cases. Last on and first off at LHR. A pet would never be put into a ULD.
Railroad flyer - good advice re. training them. I will get their crates later this month and get them accustomed to them over the next few months.

Thanks again to all who have responded - all comments greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: *G
Check the kennel size

I never thought I would have anything to add to this thread, but a family member's experience this morning leads me to suggest that you make absolutely sure that the kennel you plan to use meets AC's criteria, or you will find yourself in a last minute scramble to buy a new one or just plain be refused carriage, as happened this morning.

Somewhat OT, but it does appear that the kennel issue may have been a red herring used by the agent, since the reasons for refusing went from "there are no dogs booked on the flight (it was), to "they'd already loaded the plane" (the dog was there on time) to finally the kennel, in which the dog had been shipped by AC quite recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.