Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada and bottled water

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
And, on a different topic.

I was at a YYZ-CUN flight at the first row in Y. As usual, the front cabin was occupied by a whole bunch of AC staff or families. In Y, water is served from a pitcher. I would never drink it because I don't really like the taste of tap water. I didn't ask for anything else because I wasn't thirsty.

Anyways, at the end of the flight, I saw an FA took out a bunch of 1.5L bottles of Dasani and distributed them to those loud AC staff/family/dependents/friends sitting in J. Each one got 1 or 2 bottles!!

This was hilarious!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Or, I understand this involves out of pocket, and airport post security bottled water is "highway robbery" pricing, but why not buy your own bottled water. If I have a long flight (usually 5+ hours) I have no issue paying for a big bottle. Then I can control my own hydration needs.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:12 pm

It's all about cutting down cost, just like the soft drinks most of the airlines will serve you from a 2L bottle but I always ask for a can of it. Would it be easier to give you a small box of juice rather than pour it from a big carton box? Yes, but they won't do it because it's all about cost again.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by jarusoba
And, on a different topic.

I was at a YYZ-CUN flight at the first row in Y. As usual, the front cabin was occupied by a whole bunch of AC staff or families. In Y, water is served from a pitcher. I would never drink it because I don't really like the taste of tap water. I didn't ask for anything else because I wasn't thirsty.

Anyways, at the end of the flight, I saw an FA took out a bunch of 1.5L bottles of Dasani and distributed them to those loud AC staff/family/dependents/friends sitting in J. Each one got 1 or 2 bottles!!

This was hilarious!
I have witnessed something similar many times on long flights as well. My favorite, is witnessing the pilots have a fresh 1.5 Dasani strapped to their luggage when entering or exiting the plane.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:17 pm

I was on a flight last month and a FA picked up a 1.5 litre bottle of water and stuck it up to her mouth and had a drink; she drank like a third of it in one go. Hope it doesn't get mixed with the public bottle's. ....

Last edited by getaround; Aug 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by greenlotus
Or, I understand this involves out of pocket, and airport post security bottled water is "highway robbery" pricing, but why not buy your own bottled water. If I have a long flight (usually 5+ hours) I have no issue paying for a big bottle. Then I can control my own hydration needs.
This is what we have been doing... But sometimes, we're in a hurry that we forget to buy or we didn't buy enough.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLYJabNTZg
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:05 am

I have witnessed something similar many times on long flights as well. My favorite, is witnessing the pilots have a fresh 1.5 Dasani strapped to their luggage when entering or exiting the plane.
Good thing, the pilot will be hydrated during his 10 hour flight and won't crash the plane!! ^

You people sometimes ...
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Good thing, the pilot will be hydrated during his 10 hour flight and won't crash the plane!! ^

You people sometimes ...
You are completely missing my point. I'm not against pilots keeping hydrated. It just amazes me how I have paid for my seat and I cannot request a 1.5 L bottle but airline employees can just request or take them at their own will. I guess it depends on what side of the fence you reside.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
On my last international J flight, they just gave me the brand, new 1.5L bottle when I asked.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Dasani isn't water ...or should I say it is but bottled from a tap. It is one of the worst tasting waters. I drink it on th International flights cause I have too otherwise I stay away for it.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: CO, AC, MR, Hertz
Originally Posted by Cyan
Am I missing something here, or, is there a problem with pouring from the big 1.5L bottle to a clean glass? O_o?

-RS.
UA in business, at least internationally, has large bottles and constantly refills the glass at your seat. Less waste. Never had an empty glass--better service than many restaurants. Maybe you can suggest this to AC?

As for small bottles, or even complaining about tap water, have a look at this: http://vimeo.com/11892114
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Silvercity
Dasani isn't water ...or should I say it is but bottled from a tap. It is one of the worst tasting waters. I drink it on th International flights cause I have too otherwise I stay away for it.
Tastes bad for sure - Brampton tap water if I recall correctly - but at least you get the benefit of tap water that's more often tested than bottled. Bottled waters can have huge amounts of nasty stuff in them and legally are tested far less often than your tap water.

In Halifax, the city gives out bottled tap water to make the point that tap is tasty, and it actually is compared to some other cities. Kitchener comes to mind - so many minerals.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:18 am

You are completely missing my point. I'm not against pilots keeping hydrated. It just amazes me how I have paid for my seat and I cannot request a 1.5 L bottle but airline employees can just request or take them at their own will. I guess it depends on what side of the fence you reside.
Look, I'm on the passenger's side of the fence ... I want my 1.5L water bottle too! When I requested it more than once in the past I always got it (when I was flying in J) ...

My point is that the pilot's PERSONAL water bottle has nothing to do with this conversation, and should not be used as an example ...

On another note, I guess that this is a flying object, so there are some weight limits!!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Oh come now. We all breathe the same recycled air in the tin can. Is that really much worse then having contaminated bottles?

Besides which, the big bottle is 1.5l. If it's used to refill little ones, then it's empty after 3 refills. Even if it's used to top off the little bottles, it's used after a max of say, 10 pours.
Airplane air exchanges more frequently than shopping mall air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.