Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada faces Twitter rage over PR nightmare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada faces Twitter rage over PR nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Surprise, surprise there is more then one side to the story.

Update on G&M site:

Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick has replied to an e-mail query asking for comment on the incident. Here’s his full reply

“Regrettably Tanner's electric chair arrived in damaged condition at La Guardia airport, we are sorry about this and are investigating. Our manager at the airport immediately sent the broken chair, which is custom made, out for repairs. We also supplied a manual wheelchair and later in the evening an electric wheelchair for his use in the interim. Once we learned the replacement chair was inadequate we got in contact with the family to see what we could do for them. Because the chair is custom-made it is difficult to get it repaired or replaced quickly but we are doing all we can.”
Corporate reverse-speak.

How about "Regrettably WE damaged Tanner's electric chair enroute to La Guardia airport."
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
sounds like an amicable ending. AC screws up, takes a short time to fix, kid gets another dream fulfilled. Wonder if AC would have done that last step if media hasn't done their "job"
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Remember in Grade 1 when you passed the story from person to person to see how it came out at the other side of the room?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by NordsFan
AC's goose was cooked before the doors on the cargo hold were closed and the airbridge pulled back for the flight to LGA.

No way to win this one. None.

BS.
No, AC's goose got cooked the moment someone gave the family a boilerplate corporate response ("sorry, it's broken, here's a crap chair, we'll be sending your $100 compensation check in three months") instead of recognizing that this was a special situation. At least the damage control department was on the ball this time.

If AC had done the right thing from the get go, there would have been no reason for the aunt to go public with the story.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:09 pm

1- a young child with a life-threatening disease;
Why is no one questioning why a young child with a life-threatening disease is allowed to be on board even if there's a companion with them. Just because this unfortunate child is close to death so we all should be less critical to the family?

It's like letting a woman who is due to have a baby at anytime on board the plane.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:11 pm

1- a young child with a life-threatening disease;
2- an irate aunt with no objectivity;
3- Twitter;
4- sloppy, biased Canadian media outlets in the middle of summer;
5- AC;
6- an unfortunate checked item issue;

AC's goose was cooked before the doors on the cargo hold were closed and the airbridge pulled back for the flight to LGA.

No way to win this one. None.

BS.
Actually there was one very simple, foolproof method to "win" this one (or at least not "lose".) Don't damage the property in the first place.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Actually there was one very simple, foolproof method to "win" this one (or at least not "lose".) Don't damage the property in the first place.
No. The very simple thing is don't even bother to organize this selfish tweet-a-thon to send a child to another country so his selfish wish can be fulfilled.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiml1126
No. The very simple thing is don't even bother to organize this selfish tweet-a-thon to send a child to another country so his selfish wish can be fulfilled.
My suggestion is to head for the nearest foxhole because this post possibly will result in a few incoming shots.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
My suggestion is to head for the nearest foxhole because this post possibly will result in a few incoming shots.
yes, because I dare to call out people are bringing selfishness, sympathy to a whole new level that is no longer acceptable. And if people dare to question the motive of sympathy will always be shot, because "this is for a good cause, who cares about the motive, who cares about if it's legitimate".
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Guess nobody noticed AA killed a half-dozen dogs yesterday, putting them in the hold in 90-degree weather then the plane sat on the ground for longer than anticipated.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
wow, to both of your posts. MD is a debilitating and often life-shortening disease. BUT that doesn't mean he is going to die tomorrow. He could be weakening and expected to pass within a short time (months-years) which is typical of people who are doing the Make A Wish programs. He may be strong enough to survive the short flight to LGA and even to Orlando. This is a kid who will quite obviously not live a full life and shouldn't be belittled about that. As someone who almost died twice before the age of 18 I find it offensive to use that against him.
Find that foxhole Fast because you stepped on a landmine.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by armattheus
wow, to both of your posts. MD is a debilitating and often life-shortening disease. BUT that doesn't mean he is going to die tomorrow. He could be weakening and expected to pass within a short time (months-years) which is typical of people who are doing the Make A Wish programs. He may be strong enough to survive the short flight to LGA and even to Orlando. This is a kid who will quite obviously not live a full life and shouldn't be belittled about that. As someone who almost died twice before the age of 18 I find it offensive to use that against him.
Find that foxhole Fast because you stepped on a landmine.
Do I care I stepped on a landmine? no.

Yes, like you said, this unfortunate boy could pass away within a short time, regardless days, months, years.

This boy's health condition is being compromised for flying to another country under the name of unfortunate, good deeds, sympathy, wish, selfishness. There are other wishes that us the general public can help this boy and other kid's wish and not compromising his condition.

What if he died suddenly inflight? What if he died suddenly on the trip?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: FT
Do I care I stepped on a landmine? no.

Yes, like you said, this unfortunate boy could pass away within a short time, regardless days, months, years.

This boy's health condition is being compromised for flying to another country under the name of unfortunate, good deeds, sympathy, wish, selfishness. There are other wishes that us the general public can help this boy and other kid's wish and not compromising his condition.

all i have to say is classy....

as to Ken hAAmer....
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
or when you do say you scewed up...do not say how initially...offer the good reward...in addition to fixing the actual problem....a given........and then tell them how you f'ed up....

but i do agree, this is no win for everyone.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
No, AC's goose got cooked the moment someone gave the family a boilerplate corporate response ("sorry, it's broken, here's a crap chair, we'll be sending your $100 compensation check in three months") instead of recognizing that this was a special situation. At least the damage control department was on the ball this time.

If AC had done the right thing from the get go, there would have been no reason for the aunt to go public with the story.
But, is that what happened ?

My reading is that the damage occurred and that steps were taken on the spot at LGA. Where is the "boilerplate" in that ?

The corporate response, if any, surely came after what was surely an honest good-faith attempt by the LGA station staff to fix a problem that in the particular circumstances was going to blow up any way they played it (except, as KH suggests, if they didn't break the w-chair to begin with).

Like I said, put those 6 ingredients in the bowl and there is NO way that AC will get any kind of break from the press or the general public, no matter what the actual facts of the matter turn out to be.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Sad hypothetical, yet possible, outcomes. If that had happened, I would venture that many would go with "AC killed the child".

Cynical perhaps, but based on the usual tone of this board, not an unlikely spin.

AC is evil and always acts in bad faith. That's the message. Many seem to believe and repeat it. <shrug>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.