Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any reason why AC does not have a MLL at Calgary It'l?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

We have flown out of Calgary several times in recent months.

I am rather surprised AC does not have a lounge of any kind, or do an access deal with the quite superb new looking "Rocky Mountain Lounge" upstairs I am typing this from. As we had a Platinum Amex - otherwise we were toast for our 3 hour layover to SFO/SYD tonight.

As Star Golds on long haul Biz tickets it seems curious to me there is not some kind of Star access arrangement?

Glen
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
AC does indeed have a MLL at YYC:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...locations.html
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by tcook052
I think s/he means on Concourse C; the MLL is in A/B and I'm not sure if you can get from one to the other airside.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:54 pm

There is a very nice domestic/international lounge... but no USA pre-clearance lounge. Space limiation has been the issue in the past I've heard, and I've also heard that with the new terminal being built there will be one.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ceaton
I think s/he means on Concourse C; the MLL is in A/B and I'm not sure if you can get from one to the other airside.
Then OP should've phrased the thread title differently.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by tcook052
Then OP should've phrased the thread title differently.
To be fair, "International" means "between two different countries" in all over cases aside from, apparently, air travel between Canada and the United States, unless you are talking about accessing a Red Carpet Club, but as long as you don't want a free beer, and sometimes (but not always) when going to Hawaii, and perhaps Mexico (admittedly an entirely different country, unless you are watching an international friendly between the US and Mexico at the Rose Bowl, in which case you might feel like you are actually in Mexico).
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:07 pm

I'm willing to forgive the lack of a MLL (though it is weird given the number of flights in a day), but I don't forgive the lack of a deal for access to the Rocky Mountain Lounge.

I imagine it has something to do with WestJet trying to brand that lounge as theirs and how that would make AC look bad. However, it seems like nobody has clued in that lacking a lounge in a major Canadian airport is worse for your appearance than using someone else's.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rehoult
I'm willing to forgive the lack of a MLL (though it is weird given the number of flights in a day), but I don't forgive the lack of a deal for access to the Rocky Mountain Lounge.

I imagine it has something to do with WestJet trying to brand that lounge as theirs and how that would make AC look bad. However, it seems like nobody has clued in that lacking a lounge in a major Canadian airport is worse for your appearance than using someone else's.
Has nothing to do with WestJet as that carrier is linked to the Chinook lounge also operated by Servisair in the D concourse. Neither AC nor CP found operating a transborder lounge cost-effective so AC shut down the old one (a former DL Crown Room) and left it to the airport to build one. Ultimately Servisair took on the operation. Since this lounge has a tie in with Amex, there is no need for AC to offer access to it's J, STARGolds, etc as most of these travelers will have an AeroPlat card or regular Amex Plat for entry, saving AC money. If they don't then not having a lounge is not the end of the world...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Has nothing to do with WestJet as that carrier is linked to the Chinook lounge also operated by Servisair in the D concourse. Neither AC nor CP found operating a transborder lounge cost-effective so AC shut down the old one (a former DL Crown Room) and left it to the airport to build one. Ultimately Servisair took on the operation. Since this lounge has a tie in with Amex, there is no need for AC to offer access to it's J, STARGolds, etc as most of these travelers will have an AeroPlat card or regular Amex Plat for entry, saving AC money. If they don't then not having a lounge is not the end of the world...
But then I fly WS because nothing is for AC transborder YYC...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:08 am

guess there isnt a lounge for *G/AC*E/SE without Amex or Aero Plat then eh
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:30 am

Since this lounge has a tie in with Amex, there is no need for AC to offer access to it's J, STARGolds, etc as most of these travelers will have an AeroPlat card or regular Amex Plat for entry, saving AC money. If they don't then not having a lounge is not the end of the world...
I really hope "well most people have an AmEx" isn't the reason they are basing the decision on. That's a cop out and begs the question: "well then why not shut down every other lounge near an AmEx one; no matter how cost effective they are, free is still cheaper." To which the answer is, that it would really piss off the J/*G travellers who don't have a card and expect a lounge, and that will cost them business in the long run. And that's the situation here, people who don't have a AmEx are pissed that they paid for J out of a major city and don't get a lounge.

Is it the end of he world? No, but its something I expect at YYC.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There's no lounge from the terminal AC operates from at LAS either. Why should AC have lounges everywhere? If you want 100% lounge access get yourself the type of cards and memberships that give it. Don't blame AC for a decision it has made on a cost-benefit basis. Get an AmEx card -- that's one of it's unique offerings to give it's members something not available to others -- or a Priority Pass membership. That's how the marketplace works. BTW this lounge is not an automatic benefit of flying WS so it has no bearing on this particular matter. Odd that you all feel YYC is such a sh#thole you need a lounge to survive a few hours waiting for your flight.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
guess there isnt a lounge for *G/AC*E/SE without Amex or Aero Plat then eh
Ever try to find a STAR lounge at an Australian domestic airport? Or even EZE when AC's flight departs?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:32 am

Ever try to find a STAR lounge at an Australian domestic airport? Or even EZE when AC's flight departs?
with the exception of few smaller airports that does not have a lounge at all, i never had a prob getting into a lounge per say...... for the destinations I travel, even if STAR doesnt offer their own lounge, they usually have a contracted lounge arrangement in place.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: A Few
Despite SH's assertion that AC has determined another MLL is not 'cost-effective' for YYC, I will be very surprised if one is not part of the new runway and terminal that is being built.

YYC has the same passenger volume as YUL, and has a significant number of *A transborder flights. YYC should be first in line for the next MLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.