Wiki Posts
Search

2 stops and an open jaw possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet
2 stops and an open jaw possible?

We need help sorting out differing advice we're getting from Aeroplan. Travelling Lufthansa from Vancouver to Europe return using 80,000 miles per ticket for business class, can we include 2 stops and and open jaw? We were told a week ago it was possible, but now we are told it is not. Here's the proposed itinerary:

YVR-FRA (less than 24 hours in FRA; connect on to Paris)
FRA-CDG
- stay in Paris for a week - (first stop)
CDG-BCN
- stay in Barcelona for a week - (second stop)
BCN-VCE (Venice is point of turnaround)
- make our own way back to Frankfurt -
FRA-YVR (an open jaw out of Frankfurt)

While working out different itineraries earlier this week, we were told by 3 different Aeroplan agents (we were working out different possible itineraries) that we could do 2 stops and an open jaw in Europe. Tonight we've been told by 2 agents at Aeroplan that we can't do 2 stops and an open jaw; we can only do either two stops with no open jaw, or one stop and an open jaw. Which is right? Any help with this puzzle is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: *G
I suspect that there is a misunderstanding over "stops" (stopovers) and the destination. Your proposed destination is Venice, so my experience is that you are allowed one stopover and one open jaw or two stopovers in addition to the "stop" at your destination.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Unfortunately, the short answer is no. You can't have two stopovers and an open jaw. I also don't know if you can backtrack from CDG to BCN and then going eastward again to VCE.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan
This is from the AE website. It looks like only one stopover and an open-jaw is permitted.

STAR ALLIANCE REWARDS

One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only. One stopover is also permitted between Canada or Continental U.S.A. and the Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii, or Mexico.
Maximum of 10 segments per reward on allowable routings.
Routing cannot include the same city more than once in each direction.
Outbound and inbound travel must be over the same ocean.
One open jaw per reward is permitted in addition to the allowable stopover.
The reward code for any Star Alliance flight reward is determined by the airline and the highest class of service flown on any segment on the reward redemption. For business and first class flight rewards on Star Alliance with segments in lower cabin, standby at the airport is not permitted.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by ciana
This is from the AE website. It looks like only one stopover and an open-jaw is permitted.

STAR ALLIANCE REWARDS

One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only. One stopover is also permitted between Canada or Continental U.S.A. and the Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii, or Mexico.
Maximum of 10 segments per reward on allowable routings.
Outbound and inbound travel must be over the same ocean.
One open jaw per reward is permitted in addition to the allowable stopover.
The reward code for any Star Alliance flight reward is determined by the airline and the highest class of service flown on any segment on the reward redemption. For business and first class flight rewards on Star Alliance with segments in lower cabin, standby at the airport is not permitted.
It's wrong. Aeroplan has never updated the website since new rules were put in place in December 2008.

The rule is 2 stops plus POT on intercontinental travel (or 1 stop, 1 open jaw & POT). As well crossing both oceans on Asia awards is allowed even though these rules say it isn't.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
It's wrong. Aeroplan has never updated the website since new rules were put in place in December 2008.

The rule is 2 stops plus POT on intercontinental travel (or 1 stop, 1 open jaw & POT). As well crossing both oceans on Asia awards is allowed even though these rules say it isn't.
Thanks for all the replies. yycworldtraveller, if you are saying that I can do my proposed itinerary, and the AC website has not been updated, any suggestions for how I tackle that with the Aeroplan agents? Is there something other than the current website posting to which I can refer them?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: AC 75K
Here are T&Cs on the Reward Chart - which differ than those in the Terms and Conditions section.

Star Alliance Rewards

* One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only. One stopover is also permitted between Canada or Continental USA and the Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii, or Mexico.
* One stopover is also permitted between Canada and the Continental USA and the Caribbean, Central America, Hawaii or Mexico
* Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only for bookings made through the Aeroplan Contact Centre * Maximum of 10 segments per reward on allowable routings.
* Routing cannot include the same city more than once in each direction.
* One open jaw per reward is permitted in addition to the allowable stopover.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by annesdaughter
Thanks for all the replies. yycworldtraveller, if you are saying that I can do my proposed itinerary, and the AC website has not been updated, any suggestions for how I tackle that with the Aeroplan agents? Is there something other than the current website posting to which I can refer them?
I've never has a problem with an agent not knowing these rules.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler

I don't read this as saying your proposed itinerary is allowed. I still think there is confusion over "stopovers" and POT. It appears to me that you want two stops (CDG and BCN), a POT (VCE) AND an open jaw (VCE-FRA), which is not allowed.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:38 pm

The problem is that the OP wants to do 2 stopovers plus an open jaw... can do 1 stopover and an open jaw or 2 stopovers// so you will have to work out what stops will work for you. In September I am doing YYZ-ZRH AC (stop for a week) then ZRH-BUD Swiss Air (stop for 14 days) then open jaw PRG-YYZ Austrian Air. All seats are in business. This is for 100,000 AE points as both BUD and PRG are in Europe 2. No problem at all getting it.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

My thanks to everyone who replied to my original posting. I appreciate your assistance and insight - it looks like I will have to re-think my itinerary.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:35 am

I have the same experience - 2 stops AND 1 openjaw

Hello, I found your thread after I replied on another with similar topic. don't know if you will re-visit this thread anymore, but here is what I posted in "Is this route valid" thread:

Different Interpretation of Star Alliance Reward Chart ________________________________________
Thankyou everyone for your detailed answers and advice...I found an old thread (July, 2010) whose member had the same problem I do. I don't think the members will re-visit that thread so I'll explain the common problem here. As she did, I had different agents tell me differently what is allowed: 1. 2 stopovers AND 1 open jaw IF booked through the Aeroplan Centre. 2. EITHER '2 stopovers' OR '1 stopover AND 1 open jaw'. I started my post after I was told of the first scenario, that is why I seem to have so many stops.

The Air Canada Reward Chart only has Scenario 2. But the Star Alliance Reward Chart seems to me to say Scenario 1 but I suppose you can interpret it differently. Here is what the Star Alliance Chart says:

"One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only.
Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for inter-continental travel only for bookings made through the Aeroplan Contact Centre. Maximum of 10 segments per reward on allowable routings.
One open jaw per reward is permitted in addition to the allowable stopover."

What is your interpretation? And if it is Scenario 1, how do I get the agent to agree - they don't like being questioned.

Have you been able to confirm what the correct interpretation is? What have you decided on doing? My choice routing is:

YVR – LHR (Stopover 1) – BRU (Stopover 2) – VCE (Destination) / FCO (Open Jaw)-YVR

Hope to hear from you.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have to admit to finding the Aeroplan Contact Centre a little frustrating on this sort of thing. I really don't have a lot of experience booking "complicated" flights, but in trying to make sure I was booking a valid itinerary after looking through this thread, I called the centre tonight.

What I'm hoping for is YYZ-NBO-DUR-CPT-YYZ, which the agent said is fine (two stops in addition to final destination)...but of course, it's only possible to book three flights on the website, not four.

The agent with whom I spoke was shocked about this...and she said there must be a button to "add another flight" somewhere.

Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.