Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Group wants to sue Air Canada for not reflecting actual ticket price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Group wants to sue Air Canada for not reflecting actual ticket price

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Class Action:Union des Consommateurs vs Air Canada

For those in Quebec who purchased tickets with Air Canada

On March 7, 2014, the Quebec Court of Appeal authorized a class action against Air Canada who is alleged to have advertised airplane ticket prices on its website in contravention of the Consumer Protection Act.

Who is a class member?
Briefly, the class action includes all consumers residing in Quebec who bought an airplane ticket on Air Canada’s website between June 30, 2010 and February 8, 2012 and who paid a price higher than the one advertised on the first step of this website, regardless of whether the flight was operated by Air Canada, by a member carrier of Star Alliance or by any other air carrier with or without a code share arrangement.
More details on the following website.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
we need to encourage more class action cases against AC.^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:53 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
For those in Quebec who purchased tickets with Air Canada

More details on the following website.
I received the email an hour ago and was somewhat surprised, as it came from an Air Canada email address...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
How exactly do I know if I

paid a price higher than the one advertised on the first step of this website
?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
I received the email an hour ago and was somewhat surprised, as it came from an Air Canada email address...
I'm almost 100% certain they were required to do so by the court.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
we need to encourage more class action cases against AC.^
How do you think that AC will attempt to recover the costs from class action suits? This is not meant to state whether or not the current one is justified. It is really just a question in regards to the quoted post. I'm curios to know what the intention of encouraging more class actions suits is.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
How do you think that AC will attempt to recover the costs from class action suits?
Excellent point. Class action lawsuits don't really force our favourite telco companies to stop doing shady stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club
How are you supposed to know

How can I find out if I did pay more? I bought multiple tickets between that date range. If I still have those confirmations, does that even show anything?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
How do you think that AC will attempt to recover the costs from class action suits? This is not meant to state whether or not the current one is justified. It is really just a question in regards to the quoted post. I'm curios to know what the intention of encouraging more class actions suits is.
AC is a horrible irresponsible corporation, since the govt has limited options to force a one airline country into responsible behavior perhaps the courts can.
AC business model has been govt bailouts or receivership mixed with bad customer service.

In answer to your question.
AC will pay the class action fees then i expect have a reduced profit. If it happens often enough perhaps AC will stop cheating customers. ( you as a 2MM will pay a larger share of the price increase to cover the costs) ( however since you have obviously flown AC a tremendous amount of time you have a larger voice in asking AC to be a good corporate citizen.)

Perhaps fuel surcharges, should be a class action suit? Perhaps AC not following IRROPS properly? Seems to be a post about that today?
Reality is CTA should be more aggressive in policing AC abuse of customers however thats not happening.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:37 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I just got the notice via email.

a) I never asked to be in this!!!!!!
b) according to the email, if I want to opt out, I need to contact the superior court by registered mail???????

I always knew Quebec was looney, but this one takes the cake. What's wrong with this place???? I'm sooooo aggravated right now.

Anybody here knowledgeable about law know how I can get out of this without having to do cartwheels???
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by PLeblond

b) according to the email, if I want to opt out, I need to contact the superior court by registered mail???????

I always knew Quebec was looney, but this one takes the cake. What's wrong with this place???? I'm sooooo aggravated right now.

Anybody here knowledgeable about law know how I can get out of this without having to do cartwheels???
Why?

Are you planning to sue Air Canada yourself on the same issue?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I was under the impression that class actions always worked that way. You're a member of the class, so you're included I'm the lawsuit.

Last edited by canadiancow; Apr 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Delete
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:52 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Why?

Are you planning to sue Air Canada yourself on the same issue?
No Ken,

If I have an issue with a company, I deal with the company.

The OPC is a humongous waste of dollars, time and energy. It represents a great deal of what I hate about the province I was born and raised in. I am wondering if the government is going to send someone over to wipe my butt next....

I am personally offended to be associated with this, and find it morally reprehensible that they can opt me in without my consent.

Quebec has many, many really amazing and cool things going for it, but there is another side of it that occasionally makes me ashamed to be from here, or to live here. This is one of those moments.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SEMM

Quebec has many, many really amazing and cool things going for it, but there is another side of it that occasionally makes me ashamed to be from here, or to live here. This is one of those moments.
I believe that this opt-out mechanism is standard for Class Action suits in all jurisdictions that allow them - so not a Québec specific thing AFAIK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.