Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seems like Westjet is returning to LGA - what does it mean to AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton

As part of the slot swap between DL and US, DL gave Westjet 5 pairs of LGA slots. The rest of the story is included in the link below.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=19780

Looks like Westjet is trying again to give AC some competition at LGA - perhaps we will see lower prices in the future?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: AC*E50
Need more than 5

They won't be able to do much with five slots - given that it's LGA they'll be lucky to get three of them per day, and it's an expensive/inconvenient hub for the elusive Southwest interlining.

Their best bet would be to skip LGA-YYZ and just run from YYC or YEG. In that case it wouldn't do much to AC's prices.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Their best bet would be to skip LGA-YYZ and just run from YYC or YEG. In that case it wouldn't do much to AC's prices.
No can do (unless they fly it on Saturdays only). LGA has a 'perimeter rule', which means no flights over 1,500mi (except on Sat, when the perimeter rule isn't in effect). Both YYC and YEG are well outside the perimeter at just over 2000mi.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Jazzed69
No can do (unless they fly it on Saturdays only). LGA has a 'perimeter rule', which means no flights over 1,500mi (except on Sat, when the perimeter rule isn't in effect). Both YYC and YEG are well outside the perimeter at just over 2000mi.
That's lame. A perimiter rule?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
WS has pretty much pulled out of Atlantic City (down to a couple of flights a week) so likely just trying to see if NYC will work for it again, perhaps by generating more traffic from Sudbury, Ottawa and Montreal as well as local Toronto area, and some feed from the west. Curious that WS is not going to JFK as a feeder to various international carriers operating from that NYC airport. But then its still not even alligned with all those carriers it was supposed to be years ago.

I'd say the NYC area is pretty well served now with Porter and AC and AA. Not to mention CO may start up from the Island soon.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

For traffic from the west coast, I think JFK is a better strategy for WS as well. AC currently does not have any flights going to JFK (they used to fly YVR-JFK before).

Perhaps WS' entrance back to LGA is in anticipation of codesharing with Southwest. WS should start thinking about where to connect with Southwest (may be PHL, Chicago-Midway, etc).
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder

I'd say the NYC area is pretty well served now with Porter and AC and AA. Not to mention CO may start up from the Island soon.

I would love a CO route from the Island airport to CLE or EWR! Imagine walking to the airport instead of a 40 minute drive! (...Ok, walking to the shuttle to the airport)
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by Jazzed69
Who knew? YWG would make it with 13 miles to spare, but that's not exactly a busy hub.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveTO
I would love a CO route from the Island airport to CLE or EWR! Imagine walking to the airport instead of a 40 minute drive! (...Ok, walking to the shuttle to the airport)
Hopefully, CO is not using Q400 to fly from island airport to EWR like they do from YYZ. They cancel those flights very often.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Guess they need to put some of those new planes to use. I wonder how AC do out of the west with their flights to NY. I would see a flight from YYC or YEG working, perhaps not daily. The problem out of YYZ for all carriers these days is that there's too much capacity. When YYT, YHZ, YUL, YOW and YQB? all have their own direct service to NY, the potential feeds must be somewhat limited from that part of the country. All these other airlines have right-sized aircraft for the route - a 737 is too big IMO.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Big deal if WerstJet goes to LGA. I will still fly AC there and the prices are not expensive to fly to LGA from YYZ. Book 4-6 weeks out and it's $130 each way, how much cheaper do u want it to be?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:48 pm

It would be great if they decided to fly YOW-LGA, too bad it will never happen. I haven't seen any cheap direct flights from Ottawa for quite some time so competition would be nice.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Z-man
Big deal if WerstJet goes to LGA. I will still fly AC there and the prices are not expensive to fly to LGA from YYZ. Book 4-6 weeks out and it's $130 each way, how much cheaper do u want it to be?
+1 ^
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Who knew? YWG would make it with 13 miles to spare, but that's not exactly a busy hub.
well with that new terminal about to open (it may have already?) it wouldn't be a bad idea for WestJet to start taking up some real estate before Porter and AC do...
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by SensFan
It would be great if they decided to fly YOW-LGA, too bad it will never happen. I haven't seen any cheap direct flights from Ottawa for quite some time so competition would be nice.
Well, what one needs to do in this situation is exploit the "co-terminals" thing. YOWEWR is very reasonable right now, thanks to PD with the connection at YTZ. Buy a ticket YOW YYZ EWR with AC, arrive at the airport, do the same day change for the direct LGA flight, pay for it. On the way back, show up at LGA and pay for the change in reverse. Even with the change fee, right now, it works out to $200 less - food for thought, and works for any city with multiple airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.