Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks AC for the compassion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks AC for the compassion

A quick note to share my recent experience with AC. My grandfather was ill in the hospital and it became clear to me on the last day of my visit that I was there in his final days. I canceled my (cheap Tango) flight last minute and decided to stay on at the hospital as long as possible.

My other half took it upon himself to call AC and see what they could do for me. AC cheerfully refunded the Airport Improvement Fee on the ticket and suggested I write a letter to Customer Service regarding my situation. A quick email was sent with little hope of any reply. Imagine my surprise when a sympathetic call came two days later with an understanding AC rep who refunded the entirety of my non-refundable ticket. And apologized that it took two days to get back to us!

It was a cheap flight from a seat sale but for less than $100 AC just bought a whole lot of good will from me and my family. I was able to stay bedside with grandpa until his passing. In a day and age where few people have something good to say about AC I can honestly say there are people there who have a heart. I am grateful for the experience. Thanks AC.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Nice to know there's still someone with a heart and access to an "override" button.

Nice one AC.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
Nice to know there's still someone with a heart and access to an "override" button.

Nice one AC.
+1
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Good Job AC! ^ Sorry to hear about the passing but glad to see AC handled it very well.

Reminds me of the time that they acquired my loyalty by quickly getting me home quickly from YYG when my wife went into labour prematurely!! Still can't believe that was six years ago.

Last edited by stinger; Mar 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Sorry to hear about your loss, but thanks for posting such a great story.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Sorry to hear about your loss, but thanks for posting such a great story.
+1

And kudos to AC as well.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
This is good to hear. I'll rip into AC as much as anyone else when they screw up, but we often do forget to also post the positive experiences that we all know do take place.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pkeung
This is good to hear. I'll rip into AC as much as anyone else when they screw up, but we often do forget to also post the positive experiences that we all know do take place.
+1
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:48 am

I have a lot of respect for Air Canada. My uncle was terminally ill, and I had booked a regular Tango flight the next day noon to see him... he ended up passing away overnight and I called AC frantically trying to see if I could change my flight to the first out in the morning (which was completely full)

I don't know what they did, but they changed the flight for me free of charge and found room on the earliest flight out.

Definitely in a time of need, AC is highly respectful and responsive. Thanks AC!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When my father passed away, AC helped me book a flight as I was a basket case. Imagine my surprise to find upon check-in, that I had been upgraded to business class,

I will always remember those acts of kindness. ^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
DestinyVP, sorry for your loss and glad to see AC helped out.

I had a similar story a couple of years ago when my father passed away. I had booked a flight for the weekend and he died the day before I was to depart. AC got me out that evening. In fact, at check-in, the agent called to the gate to see if I could get out on a flight leaving in 30 and while it did not look like it was possible, after clearing TSA, an agent was paging me with my new BP. He apologized profusely that it was a middle seat (last one) and said I should go, as I was one of the last to board. On the place, there was no remaining overhead space, and the FA said my suiter bag would be at the front of the plane waiting for me and took it up to the closet. I was surprised at how supportive people were, considering that I had only mentioned it to the Check-in agent (and TSA guy who had to do the SSSS search), but for me, what AC did meant a lot!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:35 am
QNX

I am not sure if this is a standard procedure for all airlines, but one of my clients died during an overseas trip, AC refunded the return leg for his family.

these small things leave a long lasting good impressions.

^
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: AC*E
I was in NY for a few months back in 2008 on business when one of my grandfathers passed away. My girl friend who lived in Toronto had a weekend trip booked (T+) to visit me, which as I was fleeing the city to get to the funeral she decided to cancel.

Shortly after, when I was back in London, we planned a trip to Italy and I was able to use the full amount of her credit without the change fees. The agent was very friendly, a bit skeptical, given the unusual NY becomes Rome trip. However, these type of things really do make a difference and now has me as a silver, and likely a gold this year. ^
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:43 pm

good for you.

when i needed bereavement fare to HKG in 2006, their rate at $1500+tax was higher than the (then) current market rate of ~$1200 tax in.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by intlbizman
good for you.

when i needed bereavement fare to HKG in 2006, their rate at $1500+tax was higher than the (then) current market rate of ~$1200 tax in.
..What were the fare restrictions on the bereavement fare vs. the lowest priced fare? What was market rate for a ticket with the same fare rules as the bereavement fare?

Generally speaking, the bereavement fares from *all airlines* are more expensive than the lowest published fare, however, typically they book into Y or B...giving you flexibility.

It's not so much a way to get you to/from where you need to go as cheaply as possible, it's a way to get you there/back while still allowing you flexibility as the situation changes (hard to book a a return flight when you don't know when the funeral is, etc..)..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.