Wiki Posts
Search

Consensual seat swapping with SSWU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
Consensual seat swapping with SSWU

I crossed 75k SM during my last trip to SJO at the end of November/early-December. I am expecting two more SSWU. So a few questions ...

1) Should I be expecting to receive these SSWU sometime in the coming weeks? When should I call to confirm they are en route? I am hopping to be able to use them in February.

2) Am I correct in assuming these SSWU will expire at the end of February 2010?

3) I have a business+family-winter-getaway trip to an Eastern Caribbean destination in February. I am thinking about using two SSWU to upgrade myself and Mrs. Chinetti to J, but actually having Mrs. C and mum-in-law sit up front while I tend to the three (well-behaved and well-travelled) kids in the back; a small way to reward Mrs. C for keeping the home-front going with all my travels. Will that be okay, especially when the FA/SD comes to take the meal order expecting to see Mr. and Mrs. Chinetti but encountering Mrs. Chinetti and Granny Mac instead? To possibly complicate things a bit more, Mrs. C will be travelling under her maiden name courtesy of the way things work here in Quebec wrt to the use of maiden name on official documents.

Related to (3), if I am successful in burning through two SSWU for the southbound leg, I would like to use up the remaining SSWU on the northbound leg. From my understanding of how the upgrade works, it will need to be in my name, but I would like Mrs. C to sit upfront instead. Will that be okay?

I guess the bottom line is ... will the FA/SD have any issue with consensual seat swapping?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nchinetti

2) Am I correct in assuming these SSWU will expire at the end of February 2010?
I would think/hope that at this point you would get SSWUs good until Feb. 2011.

From my understanding of how the upgrade works, it will need to be in my name, but I would like Mrs. C to sit upfront instead. Will that be okay?
As long as you are on the same flight, you can upgrade anyone on the flight, not necessarily yourself.

Catch being, however, that if the upgrade does not get confirmed in advance, you would have a higher priority than no/lower status companions.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: aeroplan
yes not a problem

i have done this several times where Mrs zincguy and the little ones have flown with me on business and they have traveled on points. It iS a nice start and finish to the vacation for Mrs zinc to enjoy the comforts of the front of the bus, while I get to spend some quality time coloring and watching cartoons with the kids.

As long as you are on the flight and you don't start doing multiple switches during the flight to get a free drink or a piece of cheese.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:04 am
Suspended

seat swapping is fine;wife swapping is not
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by hub and spoke
LOL, funny you thought of that
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hub and spoke
You sure it's not the opposite?

At least if consensual.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I just did this a few weeks ago on a trip to MCO with Mrs. YQMer and the kids, no problems at all. What I would suggest though is that you just upgrade yourself and a companion and switch BP's on the bridge.

On my flight FA did notice and came back to comment on my generosity... I got the impression it wasn't a rare occurrence.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YQMer
I just did this a few weeks ago on a trip to MCO with
Swapped wives?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Swapped wives?
I suppose that's considered generous too... but a little more rare that seat swapping I'd imagine.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The FA's actually came to the back with champers...

...and the nuts for me for being such a nice husband by letting marge sit up front...so no you wont have a problem.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
Thanks for all the responses.

Btw, just received the two SSWUs a couple days ago ... they are good until Feb 2011!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.