Flying *A with infant on points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Flying *A with infant on points

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure this out w/o having to call the AP booking office. If an adult travels with an infant on rewards, what is the fee for the infant in the following two situations? Can it (the infant) be added for a minimal charge, or would one have to effectively buy a new ticket? Note - no seat for infant (held in arms).

- YYZ-NRT (100k in J for adult, AC metal only)
- YYZ-LAX-RAR (100k in J for adult, AC/NZ or UA/NZ mix)

Thanks very much!

-pN
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure this out w/o having to call the AP booking office. If an adult travels with an infant on rewards, what is the fee for the infant in the following two situations? Can it (the infant) be added for a minimal charge, or would one have to effectively buy a new ticket? Note - no seat for infant (held in arms).
-pN
I'm not sure about these flights, but I flew a friend's wife and their newborn round-trip YVR->YZF last winter on my points. Booked the ticket through the AP site, then called up the callcentre to add the infant. They didn't charge me for the addition.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
This is on the AE site about infants.

Redeem your miles or pay a flat fee for an infant flight reward. Whatever you choose, your mileage redemption or flat fee will be the same across infant ticket travel zones:

Economy Class - $50 or 5,000 Aeroplan Miles
Business Class - $100 or 10,000 Aeroplan Miles
First Class - $125 or 12,500 Aeroplan Miles

To book your infant flight reward or get more information, please call the Aeroplan Contact Centre. Infant Terms and Conditions: *At this time, infant rewards cannot be booked online and are only required for international travel
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ciana

Redeem your miles or pay a flat fee for an infant flight reward. Whatever you choose, your mileage redemption or flat fee will be the same across infant ticket travel zones:

To book your infant flight reward or get more information, please call the Aeroplan Contact Centre. Infant Terms and Conditions: *At this time, infant rewards cannot be booked online and are only required for international travel
My bad. I swear I looked on AE's site for this, and I even Googled, but I seem to have missed that. I suspect that applies to both AC and non-AC metal?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:01 am

Even with this information, you have to phone to add children to the booking. We usually pay the fee (which is only for international flights, not domestic) rather than using the points. BYMMV.

Cheers,
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:02 pm

was searching for a answer and saw this old thread

I am planning on booking a award ticket with my aeroplan miles. the ticket will have lx,lh and ua flights in it. will aeroplan only charge me 100 dollars to add a infant? I would like to book the ticket now already, but the baby is not born yet. Can I call aeroplan in 3 month to add the infant, once I know the d.o.b and name (we dont know the name yet, as we kept the gender as surprise)

thanks
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ciana

Originally Posted by moebod
was searching for a answer and saw this old thread

I am planning on booking a award ticket with my aeroplan miles. the ticket will have lx,lh and ua flights in it. will aeroplan only charge me 100 dollars to add a infant? I would like to book the ticket now already, but the baby is not born yet. Can I call aeroplan in 3 month to add the infant, once I know the d.o.b and name (we dont know the name yet, as we kept the gender as surprise)

thanks
As in the post above.

It's not a problem if your infant is yet to be born (when I posted the message above, mine wasn't born either yet). You just tell them that you will add an infant to the flight, they will make a note on the file, and you call when you know. It'll be a $100 fee, assuming you're in business, for your ENTIRE itinerary. Make sure, then, to call individual airlines and ENSURE you have a bassinet, it will make your life SO much easier.

Btw - if you're flying AC and they claim they have a bassinet on their new layout J, they are LYING [or are desperately misinformed] (they told me they did... I had no idea where they could POSSIBLY fit one, but admittedly, I've only flown AC/J "babyless" so I never paid attention... showed up to the flight, and sure enough, no bassinet on it and only a "sorry").
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
By far best deal out there when redeeming miles and traveling with an infant!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Ha. Yes. We redeemed round trip J tix and paid the $100.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Note that you may also pay taxes. For example, trips that go through the US will have ~20$ of taxes added.

And make sure to call the airlines to confirm. We just flew an itinerary that has LH, OS, TK and AC, and even though a ticket was issued, and an infant added, it had not actually been associated with the infant. Check-in took 30 minutes longer (good thing we got to the airport early) to work around the strange situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.