Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amenity Kits? (AC851 Dec 24 Trip Report)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:11 am
jbb
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold

Flew AC 851 (LHR-YYC) on Christmas Eve in J and was surprised to find no amenity kits on the seat or handed out during flight. Are they only giving them out on red-eyes now? From previous flights I thought they gave out a pared down version (the one in the grey transparent plastic) on day flights?

It was a pretty disappointing experience over all. Not only were there no amenity kits, but there were the not uncommon issues with the IFE. The system was restarted 4 times over the course of 3 hours and as we have all experienced, each time I had to run through the same commercials and fast forward to get back to my spot in the movie (District 9 in this case). The system was also buggy even after it had restarted and would freeze up, on one occasion for over 45 minutes.

I did get to try the improved J class menu though. Positives: I very much liked the cookies and ice cream service, and I liked how they had the snack tray out between meal service even though it was an A330 (before I thought they only did that on the 777). I also appreciated the fourth menu option and was pleased that the service director did come around to SE's and E's first.

Negatives: the main course (I had the lamb steaks) was decidedly unappetizing and on par with what I had experienced before. The side vegetables were over done to the point of soggy with the brocolli literally falling apart in my fork and the meat was overdone and drowned in an insipid butter sauce. And contrary to how the menu described it, the bread served was not at all warm. Also, despite it being on the menu, there was no dessert course, only cheese and port.

While I'm doing a red-eye on the return bound portion of this flight and so won't see if these negative aspects of the flight were a one-off (I plan to sleep the whole way), I am taking AC851 in J again at the end of January and will see if anything improves...

Last edited by jbb; Dec 25, 2009 at 5:53 am
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:46 am

I've flown a couple of red eyes and day flights recently and have only recieved this clear plastic kit you talk about. It was fairly disapointing to only find a toothbrush, socks, and eye mask (i like to give them away as presents )... but I guess it's all about cutbacks these days.

Last edited by bakersdozen; Dec 25, 2009 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
I've flown a couple of red eyes and day flights recently and have only recieved this clear plastic kit you talk about. It was fairly disapointing to only find a toothbrush, socks, and eye mask... but I guess it's all about cutbacks.
There haven't been any cutbacks, that has been the standard for years. The larger kit (formerly blue now silver) for overnight International flights, the smaller kit (formerly plastic now canvas) for daytime International flights.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:02 am
jbb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There haven't been any cutbacks, that has been the standard for years. The larger kit (formerly blue now silver) for overnight International flights, the smaller kit (formerly plastic now canvas) for daytime International flights.
Indeed, this is what I thought the standard was as well, which is why I was confused as to why I did not receive any kit at all on my 9hr flight from LHR-YYC. Also, I interpret Bakersdozen's post to indicate that he only received the smaller kit despite flying on an overnight international flight.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:26 am

In the past 2 months I've flown 4 J fares to South America (2 daytime and 2 overnight return - seriously overnight as in departing at 1am) and haven't seen this silver kit you speak of. It's been the small plastic one each time.

Last year there were maroon/red kits that were filled with stuff on both the daytime and night flights... so yes there have been cutbacks compared to last year from what I've seen.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jbb
Indeed, this is what I thought the standard was as well, which is why I was confused as to why I did not receive any kit at all on my 9hr flight from LHR-YYC. Also, I interpret Bakersdozen's post to indicate that he only received the smaller kit despite flying on an overnight international flight.
Sorry for the less than consistent service you experienced. Amenity kits are boarded out of Canadian stations for the return flights. In addition, cheese and port, followed by dessert, coffee/tea and liqueurs is the standard for lunch/dinner flights between Europe/UK & Canada. It sounds as if there may have been some catering irregularities - it would be hard for the crew to miss dessert. This is a particular surprise, as provisioning out of LHR is generally meticulous. As far as Bakersdozen receiving the smaller kit, the J/C amenity was recently changed, and although this is pure speculation, perhaps there was a stock issue during the cutover period. The new kit features "Bio-Maple" products. I hope and trust that everything will be in order for your return flight.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:38 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Unhappy Cutbacks...

In the past 2 months I've flown 4 J fares to South America (2 daytime and 2 overnight return - seriously overnight as in departing at 1am) and haven't seen this silver kit you speak of. It's been the small plastic one each time.

Last year there were maroon/red kits that were filled with stuff on both the daytime and night flights... so yes there have been cutbacks compared to last year from what I've seen.
It is so fundamentally wrong to cut back service in J (C) or F class international flights that it simple makes my blood boil
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:41 am

GRU/SCL-EZE receive the large blue kits on both legs - marroon kits were previous to the blue one, and the silver kits featuring "B.Kamins" products are gradually being phased in. Some residual blue stock still being used up.

BOG/LIM receive the day kit (small plastic - now canvas) on the outbound flights from Canada and the larger kits on the returning night flights.

CCS - have not done the route, but assume it's similar to BOG/LIM.

That's the way it's supposed to be done
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:44 am
jbb
Original Poster

Thanks for the info re: the kits ACYYZ/SD! Do you have the same sort of info for the LHR-Canada routes?Cheers
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
It is so fundamentally wrong to cut back service in J (C) or F class international flights that it simple makes my blood boil
Quite the contrary. In recent months J/C service both domestically and internationally has seen some enhancements to the service.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
GRU/SCL-EZE receive the large blue kits on both legs - marroon kits were previous to the blue one, and the silver kits featuring "B.Kamins" products are gradually being phased in. Some residual blue stock still being used up.

BOG/LIM receive the day kit (small plastic - now canvas) on the outbound flights from Canada and the larger kits on the returning night flights.

CCS - have not done the route, but assume it's similar to BOG/LIM.

That's the way it's supposed to be done
nope last month I got the clear kit coming back from EZE.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jbb
Thanks for the info re: the kits ACYYZ/SD! Do you have the same sort of info for the LHR-Canada routes?Cheers
Canada/Europe & UK - Eastbound Night Kits (Large)
Europe & UK/Canada - Westbound Day Kits (Mini)
Israel, Asia, Australia - Both Directions Night Kits (Large)
South America - as outlined in previous post

substitutions may occur during phase in/phase out periods.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by why fly
nope last month I got the clear kit coming back from EZE.
That was about the time that the blue kits were being phased out, and the silver kits being phased in. Sorry. CARA could have been awaiting shipment or awaiting customs clearance of new stock. Was off in November, but everything this month has been as per standard on my flights.

Wishing everybody a Happy and Consistent 2010
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Are socks rather than slippers now standard in the Large Kits? We received socks on an overnight YYZ-FRA in Nov, definitely not as nice, and IMO a downgrade in the J product.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Why don't you donate some money to the Salvation Army today (Christmas Day) ...maybe it'll make you feel better.
Or not.
Some would die for a lamb dinner (in insipid butter sauce).

If anyone wants me I'll be in the other room, fiddling with my new moral compass (it was a present).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.