Terminal Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2000, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks YYZAC!
Old Jun 5, 2000, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I suspect the Qantas sign for operating out of T1 is temporary until July 3rd, when they start flying themselves rather than codeshare with CP as they still do. Remember, a lot of QF tickets are still sold ex-YYZ and these folks will still be flying CP metal until July. I expect, as you note, that QF will be moving over with BA in the international wing of T3 once they fly their own metal into YYZ (and YVR). Lounge will also likely be BA's as is the case with CX at JFK where those oneworld carriers share BA's lounge facility. Wonder who inherits the International Empress Lounge in T3?

You noted there was security to pass through to get to MLL in T1, but was it the full metal screening/check or just a cursory check of tickets. Also, as with BA's lounge at JFK, there would be a back exit leading down to the departures gates, but which have their own metal detectors, etc.

These reports still don't clarify if the whole "donut" at T1 airside is open, or if there is a barrier between international departures and Air Ontario's flights? Maybe Fisch can fill us in on this aspect of the terminal.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 11:28 am
Original Member

I'm off to YYZ for my flight to YXU. I may go to T2 to use a kiosk to check-in and claim my 500 bonus miles. Then I guess I have a few options for getting to T1!

Wish me luck with my quest for the MLL! I hope to be able to report back from within said lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 11:56 am
MD
Original Poster

Shareholder:

The MLL does sit on top of the donut and not on top of the parkade. I believe it used to be a restuarant but I am too young to remember those days! It is also after full security - with hand baggage Xray and metal detector. This is right off ot the elevator and with in steps of the doors to MLL. On the inside, which I could not see, I was told there was 2 way access to the departures level. I do not know if the domestic flights are blocked off or not.

I suspect that once airside there are no restrictions. I would see no reason to have them. However, the domestic flights do exit from a different place (not through customs of course) and have a baggage claim that is accessible to the whole world.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Well, a quick check-in at a kiosk Terminal 2 (for my 500 bonus miles), a short walk in a cave under the tarmac and here I am: sitting in the brand new Maple Leaf Lounge at Terminal one. There is a security check just before the doors to the MLL, and they request to see the card that grants access to the lounge.

The reception area is very nice, and I was greeted by name The colours and furnature are very similar to the Empress Lounge style, not so much like the classic MLLs. Woodwork is a cherry finish, with light granite table and counter tops. There are a fair number of computers throughout, and are in the main area of the lounge, so that you can type away while watching an Alitalia B767 get catered, as I am doing right now. The carpet is very nice, and I just love these huge windows that they have.

Well, still no exec check-in at Air Ontario or Air Alliance. Well, so long as they have this 500 mile promo going, I`ll check-in at T2 anyhow.

I`m going to go explore more. If there is anything of note, I`ll post.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks Fisch!
Old Jun 5, 2000, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, thanks for the report. They probably did take the furnishings from the T3 Empress lounges to fill the T1 MLL, which explains the "look" you describe, Fisch. Wonder if the massage chairs came along? And if the computer terminals are the fast ones Cdn uses, or the frustratingly slow ones AC uses. Sorry, but it drives me mad filing from a MLL given the delays in reconnecting to the board every time one wants to post something to these forums!
Old Jun 5, 2000, 3:55 pm

I thought the 500 miles promo for the use of the kiosks was over for YYZ . . .

Is it still available??

Old Jun 5, 2000, 3:57 pm
ALW

I just got my Aeroplan statement today.

It says 250 miles at Vancouver between June 15 and August 31, and 500 miles at Toronto between June 3 and August 31.

And I have a question: do they give bonus miles for using a kiosk in YOW?

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 06-05-2000).]
Old Jun 6, 2000, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've tended to focus on T1 in most postings. I have a question about T2:

How exactly are the two airlines arranged landside in the departures hall? Has Cdn moved into the old International area while AC remains at the Domestic end, with both co- sharing the central Transborder and Shuttle areas?

I assume domestic flights now leave from both wings of the terminal, with Transborder flights to/from U.S. remaining in the centre (which posses passenger flow problems from one end to the other down that long rear airside corridor. Or have Transborder flights been moved down to the old International wing and Shuttle and Domestic flights replaced them in the central part of the airside terminal?

Are all three MLLs still in use, or has the one in the old International wing been shut down?

Likely won't be flying again until July and then only once through T2. (Withdrawl symptoms are already severe -- it's only been a week since I was last on a plane -- and don't know if I can go Cold Turkey for so long, may relapse and book a web fare out of desparation by month's end. Even the reward of a long flight to Australia in August may not be enough...)

But from all reports, the move appears to have gone reasonably well, so congrats to the AC and Cdn employees (and those with the airport authority) who made it happen. I hope animosities can be kept to a minimum and the seniority issue settled fairly and beneficially to all concerned so the service we get is the best in the world.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 06-06-2000).]
Old Jun 6, 2000, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Do AC self-service check-in kiosks work only for AC flights on AC metal with an AC FF#?

FewMiles..
Old Jun 6, 2000, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
You don't need an Aeroplan card--you can also use the credit card you used to buy the ticket.

However, it is only AC metal.
Old Jun 7, 2000, 12:26 am

Shareholder, T2 has only changed in the sense that International has moved to T1.
Transborder has expanded to cover all the old international gates (the MLL in the old International section I believe is still open). As for Airline seperation there is none. Both CP and AC operate side by side. You will even see cross utilization of ground equipment.

The only seperation is the manpower CP people work CP flights and vice versa.(Also note that all contract carriers are worked by CP)

Well folks my first day at work was very interesting to say the least, T1 worked out better than I had thought it would. CP/AC people working side by side no labour unrest (for those media lurkers) all in all a good day. As for the MLL in T1, you all have access whether you are International travellers or Just taking a hop on GX out of T1 but you must show your boarding pass and ID.(this is what I was told).

T1 is my assignment for the next 6 months, been a long day I'm off to bed!

Regards YYZAC
Old Jun 7, 2000, 7:14 am
ALW

There was a story in yesterday's G&M that some of the retailers in T2 are suffering from the lack of international passengers. I got the impression it was primarily those selling souvenirs-of-Canada as well as high-priced stuff (things that appeal to those flying internationally, and those with a lot of time on their hands).

Presumably similar retailers in T1 will do better than before.

andrew
Old Jun 7, 2000, 1:24 pm

The kiosk bonus is not available in Ottawa. YVR needs to introduce people to them, and Toronto's bonus is a reward/enticement for people going through the terminal change and all that.

Oh, and Canadian Plus cards with magnetic stripes also work in the kiosks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.