Excommunicated from SuperElite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2000, 3:35 pm
ALW

More on this and other scary stories at
http://misc.biztravel.com/brancatelli.htm

**--THE BRANCATELLI FILE--**
You Have the Right to Remain Servile

What's the difference between frequent flyers and alleged perpetrators? Joe risks his life, and even worse his frequent flyer miles, to tell you!

andrew

Old Apr 7, 2000, 5:26 pm

I guess I understand why AC wanted CP to codeshare with DL, now.
Old Apr 8, 2000, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC MM
Well, Joe the author (The Brancatelli File) ain't too well informed - it's Pierre Jeanniot, not "Jean" Jeanniot - but I guess to the Americans, all those foreign first names from north of the border sound the same...

I still think the guy that got kicked out of SE must have brought it upon himself - can you imagine AC tossing out such a high revenue customer (and being fully aware of all the media implications) unless the guy made a real P.I.T.A. of himself?

There's got to be more to it than what the passenger alleges (though he says enough in the Finacial Post article) - AC is obviously taking the high road and being quiet. The passenger, I'm sure, must have contacted the newspaper and suggested the idea for the story.
Old Apr 10, 2000, 2:43 pm

I wonder if the guy has been declaring his free trips to Revenue Canada each year. I'd hate to be in his shoes if he hasn't, especially since he has declared his perceived value for those points, hehe
Old Apr 11, 2000, 10:40 am

Lets not go there! The last thing I want Revenue Canada to start doing is tax the most important benefit of my job!!
Old May 26, 2000, 10:55 am
MD

An interesting update. I will be sure not to ask for any courtesy upgrades, nor will I say any negative comments about Uncle Miltie!!
http://www.nationalpost.com/financia...26/299445.html
Old May 26, 2000, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, but still not enough to know the real story.
Old May 26, 2000, 10:19 pm

Hi,

Interesting piece in the Post. Obviously, there's more to the story than meets the eye.
I mean, what did this guy do, request an upgrade on his "Q Family Fare?"

LOL!
:rolleyes
Old May 29, 2000, 6:50 am
Suspended

Rumour has it from an insider at AC that the gentleman was a fraud artist. He would buy a ticket, get a boarding pass for the flight, then not show. Three days later he would cancel his ticket. He would then send in his boarding pass and a copy of the flight coupon (receipt?) to Aeroplan for mileage credit. In effect he got miles for trips he did not take.

Not a bad scam until AC caught on and took the action he did.

Until this gentleman Aeroplan never confirmed all our requests for missing points, they just took our paperwork and gave us the miles. Now they doublecheck to make sure we actually flew the segment.

It certainly would explain his twice a week transatlantic flights.
Old May 29, 2000, 7:28 am
MD

Very interesting rumour, MapleLeaf. This would explain a lot, but not everything. For instance, why were his miles reinstated by Air Canada if they were originally awarded fraudulently? Why is he using the National Post to make it public, and suing for damages etc?

It does explain, in part, why we now have to get our boarding passes at the airport, and not through our travel agent.
Old May 29, 2000, 11:46 am

The operative word being rumour, especially since it comes from an unnamed "insider." In fact it is the rumour that appears to be the fraud.

If this was indeed the situation, then there is a prima facie case of criminal fraud against the guy and something that AC (or any other firm) would not hesitate to press given his claims in the media. It's also inconceivable that the guy could obtain boarding passes for several hundred flights and not show up for them without anyone noticing. Furthermore, he was in regular communication with Robert Milton as well as AC lawyers during this entire episode -- not likely if he was criminally defrauding the airline at the same time. And finally, AC has actually stated reasons (in letters from their lawyers) for his "excommunication": that he obtained an upgrade he was not eligible for, and because he "systematically spoke negatively about our president and CEO."

It's no wonder the "insider" is anonymous. Such claims would most likely expose the maker to criminal and civil charges of slander or libel. I'd give the rumour all the credibility that "rumours from unnamed insiders" deserve.
Old May 29, 2000, 11:51 am

As for the "more to this story than meets the eye" angle -- now that it's going to court, we'll eventually get all the gory details, unless they settle out of court. (But I think that would essentially mean that AC had tacitly conceded Mr. Lawrie's points.)
Old Jun 1, 2000, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Settlement does not imply acquiescense KH.

If AC settles, it is far more likely to be due to their fervent desire to get rid of this, once and for all.

I don't see much of a cause of action here. Probably his only reason for filing is to obtain discovery of documents, to find out what the company's files on him really say.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 5:13 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I still think he should join UA or LH and fly Air Canada... then he is not under "their programme" just the reciprocal agreements of the Star Alliance...

Would be funny, him as a Senator or 1K, and flying Air Canada when needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.