Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2000, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
New Amenity Kits?

Has anyone seen a new version of an amenity kit being distributed by AC?

No kits have been given out on my regular flight (878/879) for the last 4 weeks in a row - one of the staff mentioned that AC was getting new kits, and that was why the stock had run out.

I know there is a new kit available for female passengers, but I have only seen the same old green rectangular kit for the guys.
Old Mar 8, 2000, 12:59 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I have only seen the regular ones on FRA-YYZ and FRA-YYC.

Tomorrow I do ZRH-YYZ...maybe we'll have 'em then?!

Dorian
Old Mar 11, 2000, 12:04 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
still none...
Old Apr 1, 2000, 10:09 am
RAB

I have just returned frrom HKG and there were no male kits available. The female kit is the same as always. The gave males a female kit and addes a razor and shave cream.

------------------
RAB
Old Apr 2, 2000, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As I and several others have noted, there is nothing, not even a female kit, on flights over the Atlantic it seems. And you're lucky to get a razor or toothbrush in the loo either. There, I will say no more on the subject except to confirm if CP internatonal flights are still handing them out.
Old Apr 2, 2000, 9:55 pm
wdk

According to an internal bulletin, newly designed Amenities kits should be onboard the first week of April.
Old Apr 19, 2000, 8:13 am
RAB

I returned from HKG last week. On the outbound there were no kits but on the return AC did produce a new kit. The female kit is like a "fanny pack" and the male kit is a similar shape to the former male kit. Both were somewhat incomplete as to contents and neither included an eyeshade. I guess they are working to correct the problem.

------------------
RAB
Old Apr 21, 2000, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

This whole amenity kit business is a real screw-up by Air Canada - They have been out of stock on these things for 4 months now, and don't really seem to have their act together at all.

I wish, at least, they could give their in-flight staff accurate information about what is going on - staff I have talked to on flights in the last two weeks are as confused and disillusioned as the passengers are.
Old Apr 22, 2000, 1:22 pm

I suspect that they will do away with them once the current supply of female kits runs out as well. The can save $50 per flight, looks good on the bottom line.
Old Apr 23, 2000, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Amenity kits would run $15 max each when bought in the numbers an airline buys them, not $50: $5 for the case (which seems always to be made in China), $10 for the contents (brand names discounted to airline by manufacturers for promotional purposes). I still contend that when properly constituted, these kits are not frills, but are essential elements of an overnight, or ultra-long flight. Basics must include: toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash; moisturizer and water spray; aromatics to fight jet lag and assist in sleeping; razor, shavecream; woman-specific items... then the frills/toys: lint brush, shoe horn, comb, brush... Eye shades and socks (I prefer the slippers that CP has gone back to over the socks most carriers still use) and ear plugs are basics to be provided outside the kit.

The container itself should have some utility: I have been using AC's old leather First Class cases to hold my camera, walkman, the power and connector cables for my PowerMac; my CP leather Fist Class case is just the right size for my Canon digital video camera, a new BA First Class case holds the microphone and transmitter equipment for the camera, and another older one hold all the cables, power units, etc. An old AC Executive Class (international) fabric case holds my own personal DOP kit of emergency travel essentials. All of these fit nicely into my carry-on shoulder bag.

While I understand someone who flies such international flights dozens of times a year finds these of little use, the occasional flyer finds them of considerable use. (And even if you do fly frequently, there are lots of family and friends who appreciate receiving these kits for their own travels. I also use them when I have guests visiting and using my guest suite.)

True, those of us who do fly frequently have likely created our own kit from the best contents of those we've collected over the years. But these always need refilling and revamping, which is why I still expect a world class airline to provide such kits on their overnight business and first class flights.
(As I've noted in other postings, on my two AC flights to/from LHR at the end of March they did not even have tooth brushes/paste in the loos, nor razors/shave cream! CP still has their kits and we received them in both directions to/ from LHR earlier this month. BA were more than generous with their First class kits in early March, and even offered me a women's kit for a friend. Theirs are changed several times a year to make them usefull even to those flying regularly.)

No, I don't think AC is out to save money. Afterall, they are spending enough to provide fine Arrivals lounges at LHR and YVR, and likely YYZ when T1 is revamped this spring. I think it was just poor planning that caught them short. But their response in providing suitable alternatives leaves much to be desired! Particularly if you are spending $5K+ for such a flight.
Old Apr 24, 2000, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Well, after 4 months wait, the new amenity kits finally arrived. I got one on my YYZ-ZRH flight today. What a disappointment!

The package is smaller and obviously cheaper than the previous green leather kit, and made of black woven plastic. The intent of the design is that it can be worn on a belt, perhaps to hold a cell phone or a pair of sunglasses. I am sure they will be well liked by the 8 to 12 year old crowd that get them as hand me downs– perfect for holding Pokeman cards, marbles, etc. – but pretty much undesirable for anyone over 14.

The most interesting feature of the new kit are two metal studs on the bottom of the kit that have no functional purpose at all - other than to set off the metal detector at the airport if one actually does attach it to a belt.

J class was full on the flight today (20 pax) – but on the way out of the plane at ZRH, I counted 9 kits left behind on the passenger seats. I think that’s a pretty accurate “quick poll” of the perceived value of the new kits.

Part of the problem is that there is nothing inside these kits of any real value. No eyeshade, no slippers, and no earplugs. It did contain a razor (sponsored by Schick), a toothbrush and a very tiny tube of toothpaste (sponsored by Colgate), a 4 gram container of lip balm (sponsored by Fruit & Passion), and a comb and emery board (sponsored by Air Canada). The comb is made of hard styrene plastic – the kind that breaks right away if you put it in your pocket and then sit down.

I guess Air Canada couldn’t find any vendors to underwrite the cost of the useful items that passengers on long, overnight flights need – like eyeshades, slippers and earplugs – so we do without.

Are you out there, Air Canada? I Suggest you find out who has been responsible for this long drawn out fiasco, and find some more suitable work for them (like, washing airplanes).
Old Apr 24, 2000, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Come to think of it, maybe it IS the new "SkyFlyers" kiddie kit - but why would they put a razor in it?
Old Apr 24, 2000, 10:50 pm

Hey Maxpower! ...So you were not all that impressed with Uncle Miltie's amenity kit in J class. I was thinking that if they were true to form on their recent logic they would only give you an amenity kit if you paid the J class fare not if you used an upgrade certificate. B.T.W are you flying 879 on Fri May 5? I might be on that one.
Old Apr 28, 2000, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

No, I'm not travelling again for two weeks - I did 878 - 879 - 878 three times (one way) in 5 days this past week - that's enough for me for a while. Maybe that accounts for my unusually cranky post about the kits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.