Search

AC vs LH business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
AC vs LH business class

Hi,

so for an upcoming trip to SFO I decided to book Air Canada's business class from Zurich. So far, I've only tried Lufthansa's business class - how does AC compare? Better/worse?

And while I'm here, which lounges will I have access to in SFO? I'm a *G (via Lufthansa).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:51 pm

I would take AC's biz class anytime over LH - I on my recent trip ORD-FRA , I found the service to be completely impersonal and robotic - it was not fun at all!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: A Few
AC for a better seat.

LH for better food/drink.

Service...I find both airlines to be hit and miss on service. Rarely terrible, often indifferent, sometimes fabulous. YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
AC for a better seat.

Service...I find both airlines to be hit and miss on service. Rarely terrible, often indifferent, sometimes fabulous. YMMV.
Could not agree more!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Depends. If you're a meat and potatoes simpleton like myself, I would take AC. I find the food on LH to "European" for my liking.

Some recent pictures.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
AC has lie flat seats whereas LH's are angled lie flat. Nuf said.

IFE on AC is also better (as long as it is working).

One downside is that you will be moving from "Executive first" international service from ZRH-YYZ to "domestic" business class from YYZ-SFO. AC domestic business class has much nicer seating than LH European business class, but it is not in the same league as on the wide-bodied aircraft of either carrier.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flew LH in J from Munich to Hong Kong and then back to Frankfurt couple of weeks back and earlier this week from LHR - YVR in AC J. No comparison for me. The LH seat I found uncomfortable as I kept sliding down the seat whilst trying to sleep. I was in a window both ways so needed to climb over someone to get to the aisle. Food was OK as was drink but I would say TV /films etc better on AC. In addition crew far more friendly on AC .
Main issue for me though is the seat - flat bed with access to aisle for all wins hands down every time.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Compared to LH, if you travel alone, nothing beats AC biz class seat. The seat is not as wide as LH but overall you get privacy and a real flat bed seat. IFE is more reliable on LH but AC offer a better and larger screen. The only thing missing with the AC product is a real good pillow (LH have nice ones). The one AC use is small and not very good.

For food I give 7/10 for AC and 8/10 for LH, On LH they offer better wines and food is more creative. I had goose on a recent flight with LH and it was really good.
For crew agree with others .. it varies on each company but would give a slight advantage to AC these days.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: AC Elite
I like them both... When given the choice, I travel solo on AC, and on LH when travelling with family.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like I made the right choice with AC this time
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
YUP LH Business class seat is CRAP however they are replacing them with new seats.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: AC Elite
Do you know if this replacement has begun, or when it is forecast to be done?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
And while I'm here, which lounges will I have access to in SFO? I'm a *G (via Lufthansa).
You will have access to UA's uninspiring RCC. Unfortunately, it is a considerable hike from the RCC to the AC gates, the most used of which is located in a different concourse (the AA concourse).

For future reference, LX starts nonstop ZRH-SFO service in June.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by propofol
Do you know if this replacement has begun, or when it is forecast to be done?
While I quite like the current LH business seat- the rumored replacement with the completely flat seat has not yet even been confirmed with the exception of the A380 which will launch in March on the FRA/JFK route with fully flat seats (rumored) in business and a new F concept which is supposed to be a big improvement (and is reducing the number of seats in F from 16 to 8 on the 744).
The AC seat is certainly better for sleeping- however the spotty IFE, the variation of flight crews (from amazing to truly truly truly miserable), the lower level of ground handling compared to LH in FRA (where the AC staff seem mysteriously to be learning for the very first time to check in a flight each and every flight), and in my experience poorer on-time performance (4 times in the past two years I missed my connection in FRA and had to wait 3 more hours due to late AC arrivals), and of course the absence of HON circle miles are all strong drivers in the direction of LH for some. Just a different opinion...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Hi,

so for an upcoming trip to SFO I decided to book Air Canada's business class from Zurich. So far, I've only tried Lufthansa's business class - how does AC compare? Better/worse?

You will have access to the Red Carpet Club or possibly the SQ lounge (depending on if it is open when you are flying out)- the SQ lounge is small but some like it as it is quiet. If you are flying after 10JUNE next year remember that LX starts their non-stop flights SFO/ZRH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.