FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Name on passpost matching ticket... question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1018983-name-passpost-matching-ticket-question.html)

dudestir Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 13776782)
If your brother is flying with the child without the mother, make sure he has the necessary documentation giving permission.

This is another of those situations that the immigration officer can make a pain in you a$$ or not.

My wife, goes by a different surname and has no ID with mine or the children's surname on it. In 100's of trips with the kids across the border both with and without my wife there's been no issue.

When she's not there I've never been asked for a letter or documentation from her (although I normally take something but after the first couple of times never notarized).

The only time I ever had an issue was one time she was with us. The immigration officer wanted some proof she was married to me and the children's mother. He went so far as taking my then 12 year old aside and out of site to ask if the woman I was with was her mother. Hugely traumatized my daughter with fear she would be taken from us. It was a good thing Disneyland was the other end of the trip.

emma69 Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

It is something at the front of my mind at the moment - a friend has asked if I will take her daughter on a trip with me to see her family in the UK. I am perfectly happy to do so (daughter is around 12, so not going to cause me any stress - I hope!) but wonder what the customs guys are going to think (unrelated woman with child in tow) I think I will ask the parents to come to the airport with me, just in case, and will have a document signed by both parents giving permission, there isn't really anything else I can do is there? Would a notarized document make a big difference do you think? If it would, not an issue - do they want an actual notary public or will the Canadian government definition of 'authorized person' like they use for PR card renewal, including school teachers, doctors etc do?

CdnFlier Apr 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Originally Posted by emma69
It is something at the front of my mind at the moment - a friend has asked if I will take her daughter on a trip with me to see her family in the UK. I am perfectly happy to do so (daughter is around 12, so not going to cause me any stress - I hope!) but wonder what the customs guys are going to think (unrelated woman with child in tow) I think I will ask the parents to come to the airport with me, just in case, and will have a document signed by both parents giving permission, there isn't really anything else I can do is there? Would a notarized document make a big difference do you think? If it would, not an issue - do they want an actual notary public or will the Canadian government definition of 'authorized person' like they use for PR card renewal, including school teachers, doctors etc do?

For customs purposes a letter of that nature would be to be properly notarized (which means, I believe, lawyers, some bank managers, etc). Otherwise you shouldn't have too many problems - she's old enough to be able to answer questions from customs if they are concerned.

Ichinensei Apr 16, 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by CdnFlier (Post 13780510)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

For customs purposes a letter of that nature would be to be properly notarized (which means, I believe, lawyers, some bank managers, etc). Otherwise you shouldn't have too many problems - she's old enough to be able to answer questions from customs if they are concerned.

Or just get the child to travel "alone" but on the same plane.. Just reserve the seats next to each other. When they travel alone, they get special attention from the FA. Almost like a VIP. I sat next to one once. The only thing is, they have to remain on the plane on arrival and assisted off the plane at the destination. I guess her relatives would also have to be on the receiving end if you chose this route.

CdnFlier Apr 16, 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Ichinensei

Originally Posted by CdnFlier (Post 13780510)

Or just get the child to travel "alone" but on the same plane.. Just reserve the seats next to each other. When they travel alone, they get special attention from the FA. Almost like a VIP. I sat next to one once. The only thing is, they have to remain on the plane on arrival and assisted off the plane at the destination. I guess her relatives would also have to be on the receiving end if you chose this route.

If the child is traveling alone they still need a notarized letter from both parents for customs purposes... However the UM service could be handy - there are just some pretty strict rules with it.

emma69 Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am

Yes, I looked at the UM thing, but as I would need her released in to my care in the UK (to drive up to her grandparents) it probably won't help any. I'll tell them to get a notary public to sign the letter (and they I just need to remember not to lose it ;) ) keep things simple. Actually, on second glance, it seems that provided she is 12 she can fly alone - presumably that means she could fly 'with' me, (me keeping an eye on her, etc) but go through immigration in the UK and back to Canada, in front of me (so I know she is through ok!)

Ichinensei Apr 16, 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 13783577)
Yes, I looked at the UM thing, but as I would need her released in to my care in the UK (to drive up to her grandparents) it probably won't help any. I'll tell them to get a notary public to sign the letter (and they I just need to remember not to lose it ;) ) keep things simple. Actually, on second glance, it seems that provided she is 12 she can fly alone - presumably that means she could fly 'with' me, (me keeping an eye on her, etc) but go through immigration in the UK and back to Canada, in front of me (so I know she is through ok!)

what if she makes it through and you don't? :)

emma69 Apr 16, 2010 11:56 am

Into UK - they had better not - I have one of the fancy new British passports and everything!!!!!!!! They even let me use the 'self serve' passport reading machine!

Coming back, her folks will be at YYZ!

It is a strategy our teachers employed on visits overseas - send the kids through first, their theory being the government of whichever country would have to decide to let them through as well, or risk hoardes of school children abandoned in their country!

royalflight Apr 18, 2010 9:56 am

deleted

maradori Apr 18, 2010 10:52 am

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 13783577)
it seems that provided she is 12 she can fly alone - presumably that means she could fly 'with' me, (me keeping an eye on her, etc) but go through immigration in the UK and back to Canada, in front of me (so I know she is through ok!)

Careful, if she flies goes through immigration alone, at least arm her with letters from both parents about how she's travelling alone for ___ purpose, the dates of departure and arrival, contact information of each parent, etc etc etc and have it signed and notarized.

Back when I was in high school in Summer 2001 (which makes me what, 15 at the time), a dozen of us went to Japan for an exchange trip. Instead of returning with everyone, I took a detour to visit my parents in Taiwan. This caused me to fly alone on my return to Canada and oh gawd did they give me hell at YVR.

So considering that I was hassled as a 15y/o male, imagine what type of inconvenience she'll get as a 12 y/o female!

global happy traveller Apr 18, 2010 1:01 pm

i booked one of my staff from YYZ-EWR.... made a spelling mistake on his first name....and was told its fine.... because on the boarding pass its first initial + last name.... for example Jane Doe is J DOE on boarding pass....

if the mistake is with the last night, then u might be in a little bigger trouble

travelbug13 Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Legal name on passport longer name on ticket

I can go round and round with this, but a little help is greatly appreciated.

Example. Flying one airline to Caribbean and another airline home. Legal name on US passport is let's say Mike smith. Name on ticket michael smith. I'm not a michael.

Are they gonna hassle me? Not let me on plane? Notation has been added to airline system ( so they say). They would not change name because 2 airlines were involved.

If I travel out of the country will I have a hard time getting back? Traveling with my wife. Her name is ok.

I'm thinking last name good, date of birth good, picture good. I cant imagine that on a daily basis there aren't a lot of mistakes like this. I'm sure diminutives of names are common mistakes.

Sorry if I'm repeating any previous posts.

Livyer Mar 27, 2011 7:28 pm

On my last trip to the US in January, I got grief from US Customs because my boarding pass didn't match my passport (after hundreds of times traveling with no problem). As with you, I commonly go by my middle name. I had to send a copy of my passport to Aeroplan requesting a change to my account. They were very efficient in updating my account, so now there is a match.

Originally Posted by kodi (Post 12852244)
I have never used my first name and have always gone by my second name. .. So my Aeroplan account is under "kodi smith' , as is my drivers licence and everything else, except my passport.

SO , as usual, my airline, aeroplan ticket has been issued under 'kodi smith'. I am flying internationally, and Air Canada is saying the ticket must match exactly to the passport.
Aeroplan agrees, and wants to charge me $95 to change the name on my ticket.

Do you think I should, or will 'kodi chase' be ok, as it usually is?

pxy_a Mar 28, 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by dudestir (Post 13778295)
This is another of those situations that the immigration officer can make a pain in you a$$ or not.

My wife, goes by a different surname and has no ID with mine or the children's surname on it. In 100's of trips with the kids across the border both with and without my wife there's been no issue.

When she's not there I've never been asked for a letter or documentation from her (although I normally take something but after the first couple of times never notarized).

The only time I ever had an issue was one time she was with us. The immigration officer wanted some proof she was married to me and the children's mother. He went so far as taking my then 12 year old aside and out of site to ask if the woman I was with was her mother. Hugely traumatized my daughter with fear she would be taken from us. It was a good thing Disneyland was the other end of the trip.

My son has a different last name from me and I have never had an issue going to the US without mr.pxy_a (and without a notarized letter). However, my last trip back to YYZ with my son (without mr.pxy_a), I got majorly heckled by the Canadian immigration officer about returning to my home in YYZ without a letter - she said I needed a letter to get back to Canada (note: both me and my son are Canadian). It was so incredible that I almost complained to her supervisor. She asked my 3 year old son whether he was indeed 'going home to Daddy'. (thank goodness my son just answered 'yes'). You'd think I'd get more hassle leaving the country with my son, but no: hassled coming back home with him.

172pilot Mar 28, 2011 6:15 am

I use my middle name and not my first. Only the US seemed to have an issue with this and numerous times mentioned that my passport did not match my ticket. I ultimately changed my Aeroplan account to have both my first and middle name on the card and book all my tickets that way. Now no problems with the US or AP points collection. Annoying yes but it does make travel to the US much easier.