Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

**Clarification** on Star Booking Class Alignment + upgrade policies (2009 certs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**Clarification** on Star Booking Class Alignment + upgrade policies (2009 certs)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:59 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

There have been many threads on the new upgrade policy as a result of booking class alignment project so here's one to clear it up. Please post your questions in this one so I can answer them instead of having to go through all the other threads.

The Star Booking Class Alignment project was a huge one which involves lots of hard work, manpower and planning because this involves converting all the existing bookings, inventories on all flights and communication with other carriers and agencies during the process. One of the key things that we want to ensure that there will be no disruptions to our customers during the process; one of those being top tier upgrades since those are controlled by booking classes.

New booking class structure will be as follows:

Executive/Executive First: J,C,D,Z
Executive/Executive First Aeroplan award: I
Executive/Executive First upgrade: R
Latitude: Y, B
Tango Plus: M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,L,A
Tango: K,N,G,P,T,E
Economy Aeroplan award: X
Star Alliance award First: O
Star Alliance award Business: I
Star Alliance award Economy: X

All existing bookings are converted to the appropriate classes to ensure that product attributes are retained with the exception of B class.

As you are aware, M & U used to be Latitude under the old fare structure, it has now been moved to Tango Plus; in order to ensure zero inconvenience to our customers, any M,U booking class will remain to be upgradeable with 2009 certs at time of booking even though it's now T+.

B class used to be Tango Plus, it is now in Latitude; as a result of this, it will now be upgradeable at time of booking. Again, to ensure zero inconvenience to our customers, even if you are holding a B class booking prior to the realignment, all B class bookings will be upgradeable at time of booking.

For those holding a Tango Plus flight pass, existing bookings (B class) will remain in B, any bookings going forward will be booked in M; hence upgradeable using any 2009 upgrade certs.

Since M,U are now upgradeable at time of booking, some of you have noticed lower than usual fares that are now upgradeable at time of booking; this is not a glitch, it's simply because we want to honor the T & C of the 2009 certs instead of telling our top tier customers that the T & C printed on the certs are no longer valid. So enjoy!

The above should cover all the questions. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks for making it all clear Andrew! ^

OK ... so who's going to ask the first question?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:23 am

Andrew, thanks for posting the new booking class structure. Just wondering how it might affect the waitlisted for upgrades at the airport since now, the "A" booking class is below "S". Does this mean passengers who are booked with "S" before Oct. 28 would have priority over the "A" with regards to the "R" upgrade class?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:51 am

Thanks Andrew.

Your posts are very helpful and insightful. Keep up the good work!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

F would be 1st class?

All letters are used
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
New flight passes

I am planning a Transcontinental flight pass purchase soon.
I have 4 round trips to FL planned before Feb.28. If I a buy a T+ pass now which books into M these will be eligible for SWU upgrade until Feb. 28? It works out about $ 100 / leg cheaper even if I don't use the last 2 credits vs. a Latitude pass purchase. Be a great way to burn certs.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Yes, thanks, Andrew yet again. I've just hung up the phone after talking to no fewer than four Aeroplan and AC representatives for 63 minutes and not ONE person could clarify how the change effects use of upgrade certs. Surely the clowns in head office should have anticipated the questions and provided their assistant and front line clowns with accurate, unequivocal answers!!!???
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
(Update 30 minutes later).
Have now talked to two more AC agents, the first of which said, unequivocally, one CANNOT book a Tango Plus fare today and use a 2009 upgrade cert at time of booking as if it were an M class fare. The second agent said the exact OPPOSITE and quoted from a staff news update dated yesterday that both NEW and existing Tango Plus fares would now benefit until 28 Feb. 2010 by being upgradeable immediately using system wide certs. Second agent also commended my travel agent on recommending booking in Tango Plus to save money and apologized for co-worker being totally misinformed (besides argumentative, but what else is new?). Further, she noted that it was illegal for AC to issue new certs for the balance of the year with different conditions, though I thought the fine print references something that gives AC exactly that right, but whatever.....
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by YEG ex Executive Platinum
(Update 30 minutes later).
Have now talked to two more AC agents, the first of which said, unequivocally, one CANNOT book a Tango Plus fare today and use a 2009 upgrade cert at time of booking as if it were an M class fare. The second agent said the exact OPPOSITE and quoted from a staff news update dated yesterday that both NEW and existing Tango Plus fares would now benefit until 28 Feb. 2010 by being upgradeable immediately using system wide certs. Second agent also commended my travel agent on recommending booking in Tango Plus to save money and apologized for co-worker being totally misinformed (besides argumentative, but what else is new?). Further, she noted that it was illegal for AC to issue new certs for the balance of the year with different conditions, though I thought the fine print references something that gives AC exactly that right, but whatever.....
I have booked four segments since the changeover on my unlimited Tango Plus pass, immediately called and had all upgraded since they are M class which is printed on the NAU/SWU certificates. both agents I spoke to are well aware of the new rules. Did you call the SE line?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Did anyone else notice that the special extension of upgradable booking classes until Feb 2010 (Y,B,M,U) represents the 4 highest economy booking classes...exactly the same as the standard terms of SWU certs just a couple years ago (Y,M,B,H).

That being said, I do have a question, when I select 2009 upgradable fares, only Latitude fares show up, as was expected. So in order to get these "special upgradable T+ fares (M,U) we could, say, call in and specifically ask them to price out the itinerary in U or M class? Unless by chance, M/U was the lowest available T+ fare at the time. Do I understand this correctly?

Not to be a stick in the mud to this otherwise positive news, but I also read this to mean that AC/AP have zero intention of bring back the lower (2-4-7 day upgrade) booking classes for SWUs. A change that has affected many of us significantly...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AE 75K, Bonvoy Gold, BW Plat, AX AE Reserve, NEXUS, AX Business Plat
Strangely, yesterday when I selected upgradeable fares only, T+ fares remained available. Today, only Latitude fares are displayed.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Asia Miles, United
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just joined!

I have a question please regarding my ticket and would appreciate some insight.

I'm holding a Latitude (U) class ticket from YVR to HKG for November, and I am upgraded already using a SW 2009 cert. However, now I need to postpone this flight to March of next year. When I call into reservations, will Air Canada change my booking code so that its also upgradeable next year using a 2010 SW upgrade cert?

Please advise?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:00 am

To echelontm,

I believe your YVR-HKG for November has already been rebooked from "U" class to "Y". Just call AC reservation and change to March, should have no problem using the 2010 upgrade cert. But not sure if there is daily flight from YVR to HKG in March??
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by echelontm
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just joined!

I have a question please regarding my ticket and would appreciate some insight.

I'm holding a Latitude (U) class ticket from YVR to HKG for November, and I am upgraded already using a SW 2009 cert. However, now I need to postpone this flight to March of next year. When I call into reservations, will Air Canada change my booking code so that its also upgradeable next year using a 2010 SW upgrade cert?

Please advise?

Thanks
Your Latitude attributes will stay; as YYZ7464 stated, just give reservations a call and they will rebook you (provided that you will have status next year and Y/R class is available, you will be moved to J).
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aspan
I am planning a Transcontinental flight pass purchase soon.
I have 4 round trips to FL planned before Feb.28. If I a buy a T+ pass now which books into M these will be eligible for SWU upgrade until Feb. 28? It works out about $ 100 / leg cheaper even if I don't use the last 2 credits vs. a Latitude pass purchase. Be a great way to burn certs.
That's correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.