Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baby meal on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

baby meal on Air Canada

I will be flying with my baby son in December. We booked through a Canadian travel agent and she requested a baby meal for the international legs to and from Japan. I can totally see Air Canada not loading the meal and giving me the brush-off afterward. Has anyone had experiences with baby (or other special) meals on Air Canada? Are they generally good or not at actually having the meal onboard? Should I call someone and confirm it?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
What age is your son?
What sort of foods are you wanting or expecting?

Having travelled with three midgets over the recent years, we brought our own. This included several trips to NZ, Hawaii and domestically in Canada.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Trust no one. Bring enough food and water and other supplies for at least 2x your travel time.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:26 am
Original Poster

He will be 9 months. The website says the baby meal is various kinds of strained foods (fruit, vegetable, meat, and desert). I'm still planning on bringing along some baby food of my own that I can use later if the baby meal actually shows up on the Japan - Canada legs. I'm just wondering about peoples' experiences with how often an ordered special meal such as a baby meal shows up and how often it doesn't.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul
Trust no one. Bring enough food and water and other supplies for at least 2x your travel time.
Completely agree. Do not trust AC or any other airline to get it right.

We also had a bad experience with a child meal in J last year: disgusting deep fried stuff that we wouldn't even go near at home.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okazon69

We also had a bad experience with a child meal in J last year: disgusting deep fried stuff that we wouldn't even go near at home.
It makes you wonder what the economy version would have been.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by okazon69

Wow, our experience has been the complete opposite with our kids in J. Although we do pack truckloads of snacks as Taupo suggests. The last four flights we were on with our kids, the J Kids meal was much nicer than what we were served.

On the breakfast, they actually received a nicer fruit plate than the regular adult J meals and a much better looking scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausage.

On the way home they both enjoyed their chicken fingers and french fries!! The previous flight they had noodles and meatballs.

Last edited by stinger; Oct 5, 2009 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Ordered it for our 9-month old both directions and got nothing both directions overseas. So, don't expect anything. The flight attendants, gate agents, and phone agents all said they had never heard of them before. Maybe our resident FAs on the board may know better.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
We tried the infant meal once for our son when he was 10 months or so, in J class.
All we got were jars of commercial strained foods. Never bothered trying again - for
the 79 cents or so that the jars cost may as well bring your own.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:39 am

A baby meal at AC is 2jars of Heinz baby food and that's it! Depending on flight time, you might get 4-6 jars... You can make sure it is on your file a few days before your flight. Like the others said, bring your own food... since if the catering make a mistake...it's hard to find a plan B.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
I have travelled many times with my daughter from the age of 1 month. Now she is 28 months old. Each time, when I fliy international, I have requested a baby/infant meal for her. However, each time they have supplied somthing different. Once it was a mixture of Lactose Free Meal and a Vegetarian Meal. The F/A was nice enough to understand this was not fit for a infant. But luckily we brought food for our little one. The F/A was also nice enough to warm the food we borught for her in the galley.

I would recommend you bring your own food. If you get the food correctly, consider it a bonus...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:25 pm

How much of this will you be allowed to take through security?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
How much of this will you be allowed to take through security?
I assume you are talking about liquids. Rules from CATSA and TSA allow a "reasonable" amount to be taken when a baby/ infant is present.

Given the fequency of weather and/or other delays I would have no problem holding my ground and escalting as needed.

I have never had a problem when traveling with kids and liquids.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I assume you are talking about liquids. Rules from CATSA and TSA allow a "reasonable" amount to be taken when a baby/ infant is present.

Given the fequency of weather and/or other delays I would have no problem holding my ground and escalting as needed.

I have never had a problem when traveling with kids and liquids.
Mrs. Omkhar was asked to "prove" that lil Ms. Omkhar's formula was actually formula by tasting some in front of security personnel at LHR. CATSA employee's have been undestanding when they see all three of us traveling together (no need for sampling of formula).

PS the "taste test" was an obvious example of useless Security Theatre at best - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by omkhar
Mrs. Omkhar was asked to "prove" that lil Ms. Omkhar's formula was actually formula by tasting some in front of security personnel at LHR. CATSA employee's have been undestanding when they see all three of us traveling together (no need for sampling of formula).

PS the "taste test" was an obvious example of useless Security Theatre at best - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
TSA's rules expressly prohibit the taste test.

Seems like the taste test is the norm in the UK. I check the rules for CDG. They want the taste test too. Must be an EU thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.