Search

Lisbon to Morocco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
Lisbon to Morocco

Would appreciate advice on the following -

Am going to visit Morocco this fall, coming from US. I need to fly over the Atlantic on United (UAL metal, no code share).

Denver/Lisbon is as cheap as about $1000.
Denver/Madrid is as cheap as about $1300.
Denver/Casablanca (routes as Denver/Franfurt, Lufthansa to Casablanca), $1500

Airfare Lisbon/Casablanca is about $300 (Iberia, routes through Madrid)
Airfare Madrid/Casablanca is about 1/2 that, $150.

For me, flying into Lisbon is attractive not only for price, but I have never been in Portugal, have been in Spain, so it is another country.

Am considering - simply arriving in Lisbon - going to the train station, train to Algeciras, ferry to Cueta. Since the ferries seem to cancel for weather, would plan on returning to Lisbon 2-3 days early, which would give me time to visit Lisbon

This avoids Casablanca, and the flyertalkers seem to agree that that is a good thing.

I am having a hard time figuring the price for the train/ferry, and am wondering if in reality, I am just going to spend a lot of time and even more money, than simply flying Denver/Casablanca.

Maybe someone would route completely differently?

So - what would you recommend?

Ron
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Have you checked the fares nonstop LIS - CMN on Regional Air (FN) yet? (Mo, We, Fr, Su at this time, I believe.) Or Royal Air Maroc (AT,) every day except Wednesdays?

Using IB and MAD, you will arrive T4 (Portugal is Schengen,) and have to proceed to T4-S for the flight to CMN (UA arrives / departs T4-S.)

Lisbon is a very easy city to get around - a wonderful walking city with lots to see. MAD is somewhat less so, and the airport is a significant distance from town (though the new Metro station for T4 makes it easier.) Just my preference, but I think LIS is less expensive and offers more for the visitor.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:51 pm

I've taken the train to Algeciras, the ferry to Ceuta, and then a bus to Tangier. It's difficult traveling and not very rewarding.

If you want to experience the "real" Morocco, then go to Marrakesh. A truly amazing place.

Iberia flies from Madrid and AF from Paris. Not sure where Air Moroc flies into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.