Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in south africa?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
i am thinking of driving from Graskop to Paul Kruger gate at 5AM, would I encounter drunks, pedestrians, and animals?
Certainly can't be ruled out. How about using Phabeni gate?

Also in July what time does the sun rise and set?
It is amazing what a simple Google search will turn up!

Johan
Old May 20, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by johan rebel

It is amazing what a simple Google search will turn up!

Johan
Thanks, I meant what time will it be daylight and darkness.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I meant what time will it be daylight and darkness.
If you click on my link in the post above, you will be presented with a table showing the times of sunrise and sunset at Skukuza (in the KNP) for every single day of the year 2008. Sunrise and sunset are usually pretty good indicators of daylight and darkness.

Johan
Old May 21, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Would it be possible to drive from PE, do the bungee at Bloukrans (plettenberg bay), see the cubs and the ostrichs at Oudtshoorn and spend the night at oudt in one day? If not would it be possible to aleast drive to the Bloukrans bridge to see it?
Old May 31, 2008, 3:10 pm

We drove from PE to Franschhoek in one day. Left at 8.30 and arrived around 19.00. I would recommend a stop in Calitzdorp (about 150km further) where they make some of the best port wine in the world. We stopped in Oudtshoorn for about 45m to buy some ostrichs leather - the city is not all that great. We walked the Bloukrans bridge but did not jump. Average speed was around 150-170kph.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Average speed was around 150-170kph.
I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate.

Others driving at such speeds have been stopped and obliged to pay speeding fines. Cash generally preferred.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:59 am

Nah, seriously - I was pretty sure my CC would have one or two fines charged to it when I got back home but nothing of the sorts yet. I believe I went faster than most but then I was also a man with a plan, or something of the kind.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am not a regular renter. I was wondering if someone could explain if my understanding is correct. I was booking on avis and noticed my rate incl:

Collision Damage Waiver & Theft Protection. But there is link next to it that says "liability applies". when i click on it, it says:

CDW excess: 14,035.08 ZAR
TP excess: 14,035.08 ZAR

Does this mean I will be responsible for the first $2K of charges or anything above $2K of charges.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also is there any other kind of insurance that I should be taking?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
- IIRC, fuel stations are not allowed to take credit cards or normal debit cards for payment of petrol. This is because the price of petrol is fixed by the government at an artificially high price, and credit or debit cards could be used to give some kind of discount to circumvent this. South Africans have special fuel cards which are like debit cards which do not give any benefit at all to the holder.

- you drive on the left like in the UK

- there are 4-way stop junctions like in North America and unlike the UK (or all of Europe)

- stay far from the "taxis". "Taxis" are minibuses with 12 or so seats, but usually occupied by at least 20 people or so it feels. People flag them down from the side of the road.. Road rules do not apply to "taxi" drivers (or so they think) and lane cutting or going offroad to cut a traffic jam or a red light is the norm. First time I saw them I thought the driver was drunk, that was how much he was swerving.

- traffic lights are called robots

- there is often very slow traffic on the road, even on motorways

- motorways are also used or crossed by pedestrians
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:23 am

Having lived in this part of the world I would suggest you don't drive after dark and talk to the people where are staying and consult with them which areas are currently considered no go or unsafe for tourists. for your own safety LISTEN to them!!!!

Otherwise common sence is really important.

Kurger Park be sure to get up EARLY since animals tend to be more active in the cooler morning hours - nap over the hot afternoon and head out again in the cooler evening hours. Check in your hotel for guided tours into the feldt - they are ALWAYS worth the extra cost. On one of our trips we suddenly heard what sounded like a motor bike (we were wondering just who was THAT crazy) drove around the corner to find 6 young male loins on the side of the road devouring a buffalo - and the "motor bike" we had thought we had heard were these fellows purring and growling. Unfortunately this event is like winning in the lotto. You can go for days without seeing a Zebra and then come around the corner and litterally see 1.000 of them. Elephants tend to be more up north. Lions, lepards and cheetahs are much more difficult to see. As an alternative check out the small private game reserves - there is one down in the cape called NYATI or Buffalo Hills game Reserve. That is a little secret tip.

While you are in the cape don't forget the Vineyards but look for the smaller boutique ones - a good tip is to have lunch at Delheim.

Ostriches in Oudtshoorn

Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens - Cape Town

Trip to to Cape point with a drive via Chapmans peak road

Just a few things not to miss
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am not a regular renter. I was wondering if someone could explain if my understanding is correct. I was booking on avis and noticed my rate incl:

Collision Damage Waiver & Theft Protection. But there is link next to it that says "liability applies". when i click on it, it says:

CDW excess: 14,035.08 ZAR
TP excess: 14,035.08 ZAR

Does this mean I will be responsible for the first $2K of charges or anything above $2K of charges.
bump...is there any other insurance i should take?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
bump...is there any other insurance i should take?
I would put the charge on one of your credit cards that includes car rental insurance. Between the two you should be more than fine.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:06 am

Check the fine print and look if there is any way you can reduce your liability to 0 on all accounts. If need be call the serviceline to ask. Rather pay a couple of dollars more and not have too much hassle if they steal the car or anything else happens. I would only rent a car in SA that is insured to the teeth (not like regular US rentals)

Remember car jacking is a sport down there. Lock your doors and if someone threatens you for god sakes give them the keys!!!!! These guys think nothing of killing some one for the car - hense not stopping a red lights after dark as it is the perfect place to ambush a stupid tourist. I would also suggest you check if your cell phone works there - if not hire one just for emergancies.

This may sound really paranoid to anyone who has never been there and experienced everyday life. It is diffferent to where we all come from
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Does SA have the turn left on red rule and don't turn right on green till opposing traffic has moved?
I never figured this out while I was driving In CPT and JNB. I just sat at the stoplight (in daytime) and waited. If the car behind me honked, I assumed it was legal to turn. Maybe one of the SA residents here can clarify what the rule really is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.