Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in south africa?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Thanks, would it be enough to just take all the insurance that the car rental offers or should I get additional?
Old May 14, 2008, 10:35 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How about the drive from JNB-Blyde river canyon?
Have done it a couple of times, also 1000s of KM elsewhere - pretty much zigzagged the country except the N2 along the Wild Coast. Not a problem; good roads for the most part. Watch out for minibus taxis and pedestrians, animals in rural areas (as in cows) and potholes here and there, but generally an easy go. I'd allow 5 hours from JNB to the Blyde River area; could be less.
Old May 15, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Would any of you Yanks or foreigners recomend taking a tank of gas with me?
Old May 15, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What are the other differences between road rules between the US and SA? Does SA have the turn left on red rule and don't turn right on green till opposing traffic has moved?
Old May 15, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If I was to drive from Nelspruit to Blyde area how many kms would it be?
Old May 15, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
While I was studying with my friend at UCT we took a road trip through Southern Africa. We drove through South Africa, Swaziland, and Mozambique. We are two young females doing all the driving alone, and we had no problems.
We had one traffic fine in Swaziland that was about $7.

> We never drove when it was pitch dark outside.
> We kept our purses in the trunk (boot) of the car
> If you are crossing the border be sure you know the hours some shut down early.
> When we saw a station we always filled up with gas.
> We had extra money for the toll brides, they add up.

I have driven alone through Cape Town and I have had no problems. If you lock your doors, and try to park in well lit areas then you should be ok.
Old May 15, 2008, 4:46 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Would any of you Yanks or foreigners recomend taking a tank of gas with me?
Ha ha. Buy it as you go; the price is not that much higher than in the US. Note the previous warning that you can't use credit cards at the stations, but there are almost always ATMs inside, as well as clean loos, usually mini-marts and fast food restaurants, and other amenities. Look for the modern stations on the edges of towns, or roadside along the freeways. It's customary to tip the pump attendants a few Rand on top of the bill.

What are the other differences between road rules between the US and SA? Does SA have the turn left on red rule and don't turn right on green till opposing traffic has moved?
I always use UK rules and haven't gotten a ticket yet. (Famous last words.) There's a lot of slow traffic that usually stays on the hard shoulder. Drivers are very courteous and there's lots of headlight and tail-light flashing as you pass and are passed. That said, there are also a lot of too-fast drivers and inexperienced ones, so stay alert. I try not to drive after dark due to livestock in the road and variable pavement conditions.

If I was to drive from Nelspruit to Blyde area how many kms would it be?
Around 120 km depending on where in the canyon. Allow 90 min - 2 hrs depending on route. Note the Panoramic Route (God's Window, 3 Rondavels etc.) is really worth slowing down and savoring.

http://www.shellgeostar.co.za/
Old May 15, 2008, 4:47 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
Oh - another nicety of SA driving. If someone pulls to the side to let you pass it is polite to turn your hazard/4 way flashers on for 2 or so blinks once you pass them as a way of saying thank you.
Originally Posted by Craigo
I concur with the previous observations. The South African practice of moving over onto the shoulder to allow others to overtake was appreciated. The road shoulders are much wider in SA than in Australia.
Agreed. I LOVE this practice in S. Africa. I wish Americans would do this. The shoulders are so wide, most of the time you don't even need to slow down to let someone pass. I always kept an eye on the rearview mirror to ensure I wasn't slowing anyone up. Without exception, I would get a blinker "thank you." ^
Old May 16, 2008, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, would it be enough to just take all the insurance that the car rental offers or should I get additional?
bump...
Old May 16, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
I would go for the extra insurance. You are driving on the opposite side of the rode with new elements thrown in. I think extra insurance especially is S.A. is a good idea.

Look at the contract some companies do not cover damage done on a gravel or non paved road. Study the contract and know what the insurance will cover.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Has anyone here done a self-drive through a wildlife park like Kruger? I am considering it, but nervous at the thought of driving with my wife in an animal country. Do rental companies prohibit driving on unpaved roads?

Also I am thinking of staying in Hazyview and driving from the Numbi Gate to the Malalene Gate. Would this be a good drive?

This website says it is 4 hrs for the above drive. Is it true/reliable?

http://www.african-safari-journals.c...onal-park.html
Old May 19, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What does "stopstreet" mean? I see this under directions for this hostel:

http://www.roomsforafrica.com/establishment.do?id=2929
Old May 19, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
A stopstreet is just a junction/crossroads where there is a STOP sign.
Old May 19, 2008, 1:55 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Has anyone here done a self-drive through a wildlife park like Kruger? I am considering it, but nervous at the thought of driving with my wife in an animal country. Do rental companies prohibit driving on unpaved roads?
Driving through Kruger is no big deal; you're allowed to take rental cars on gravel roads, but of course check out the terms and conditions of your rental contract before heading out. Just stay in your car and you'll be fine. Depending on your itinerary, Addo Elephant Park at the north end of the Garden Route is also great park for self-drive safaris.

Also I am thinking of staying in Hazyview and driving from the Numbi Gate to the Malalene Gate. Would this be a good drive?

This website says it is 4 hrs for the above drive. Is it true/reliable?
Travel times within Kruger are pretty long - it's a big place and there are plenty of reasons to stop (e.g. elephants in the road) and the speed limits are set low.

I don't know about staying in Hazyview. Why not look at the lodging choices at Skukuza camp inside the park? They're quite affordable and there are plenty of visitor services close by. http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/skukuza/

Of course, driving through Kruger is not the same sort of experience as a guided safari where the vehicles can go off-road or do night drives (not inside Kruger but in the private reserves abutting.)
Old May 19, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i am thinking of driving from Graskop to Paul Kruger gate at 5AM, would I encounter drunks, pedestrians, and animals?

Also in July what time does the sun rise and set?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.