Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Travel agent for fair Botswana Safari pricing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond

Any recommendations for a travel agent that charges a fair price for Botswana bookings? We will know which camps we want (all Wilderness Camps or mix of Wilderness Camps and Kwando)

My assumption is that the agents are paid a commission from the camps, but it appears that they also mark-up the rates significantly.

I was shocked when an agent recently quoted $2,000 per person above the "bottom-up" rates. (I added the rack rates for the camps plus about $750 for airfare to estimate the cost)
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:38 pm

I have had excellent experiences with Nicky Glover and James Weis at Eyes on Africa, using them for multiple trips to Kwando Lebala and also to both Wilderness and CC Africa camps. Their prices have been competitive, their knowledge is terrific, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are US-based and accept credit cards.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:03 am

I just finished several months of safari planning (yes, I am OCD about finding the best itinerary and deals).

I had problems with Eyes on Africa. I'm not sure if she was just not interested in our type of trip or misunderstood what I was asking for, but their quote was significantly higher than other companies I contacted (for the exact same itinerary). I'm talking thousands of dollars of difference for a family of 4.

Africa Adventure is also popular, but they ignored my stated desires for style of accomodation and quoted me a trip roughly $8k more than my stated budget. When I called them on it, they made some changes to get it to "only" $5k above my budget while still force-feeding me luxury camps/lodges. No thanks.

I finally settled on Rhino Africa. Their prices were the best for my trip (not Botswana). Pricing aside, they really impressed me on a few fronts:

1) when I first contacted them via the website, they asked if it would be ok if they called me so they could clearly understand my desires for the trip - of the dozens of vendors I contacted, they were the only ones to do that.

2) I am a relentless planner, always looking for "best value" type of deals. In many cases I found these planners were well versed in certain properties, but completely clueless about others. Most kept trying to push their preferred places on me, showing no interest in even researching the places I mentioned. Rhino was the only one who offered to call the management of properties they were not familiar with to do some research, negotiate TA rates, etc.

3) Similar to #2, they planned a trip based on my stated desires, not what maximized their bottom line. For example, they recommended we spend a couple of nights at Kruger restcamps so we could stay within our budget even though they would not make any money on those nights. Further, they offered a lot of insight into which restcamps would be better for us, what extra activities we should consider while staying there, etc.

I have not taken my trip yet, so we will see how things turn out with the arrangements they helped me with. It kills me to have to rely on travel planners as I often find they give me cookie-cutter trips for trips I could have easily planned myself for a lot less money. In this case, however, I feel like I got my money's worth. They offered some suggestions I would never have found on my own, while also helping me get reduced rates at properties I would have had to pay rack rates if booked on my own.

My point is not to push Rhino, but to highly recommend contacting several trip planners. You might be surprised in the variation in how you are treated, what is offered, how much it costs, timeliness of feedback, etc. I would have completely shafted myself if I went with the first company I contacted.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I had very good luck with Lion World Travel. I planned (and planned, and planned) the entire trip over the internet. Worked with a great agent in Toronto (did not really matter since it was over the net). He worked with our AA award tickets and HHonors free nights in JNB without any questions. He has just started on our next trip. PM me if you want his email.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GfL
I used Penduka Safaris (they specialize in Botswana and Namibia) and had a very good experience. I stayed at a place called Oddballs, which is low-priced by Botswana standards, but not exactly what I'd call a cheap vacation.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:57 pm

travelmad - what did you think of Oddballs?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by State fan
travelmad - what did you think of Oddballs?
I liked it. I am the sort of person who likes to be comfortable (within reason), but who also wants to feel that I am staying in the bush and not in a five-star hotel. The concept of silver service and linen tablecloths in the middle of the Okavango gives me the creeps, as do the people that typically go for that sort of thing. Oddballs was a very good fit for me. You stay in a small tent and use shared outdoor bathrooms and showers. I found the sleeping very comfy, and a couple of spiders in the shower isn't a problem for me. The food was very good and copious. Alcohol is paid per drink, another plus for me since I am very light drinker and don't feel like subsidizing others' drinking habits!

All of the excursions are either on foot or by mokoro. When I was there (October), the water was too low to do mokoro treks, so we walked the whole time. Oddballs gives each traveling party a guide that stays with you for your whole stay, which can be nice in that you get comfortable and jokey with that person. I was traveling solo, so it was just me and the guide walking around for three days. It probably would have been a little more fun with 1-2 others but I like the concept of going in very small groups. I don't like those big clumps of people tramping around.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll second that - and what you said about silver service in middle of the Okavango.

I've done some great bush camping with Penduka (with founder Izak Barnard as well as with his son Willem,) and would not hesitate to recommend them again.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I used Penduka Safaris (they specialize in Botswana and Namibia) and had a very good experience. I stayed at a place called Oddballs, which is low-priced by Botswana standards, but not exactly what I'd call a cheap vacation.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:43 pm

I second Eyes on Africa

I am currently planning a Botswana/Victoria Falls/South Africa safari with Pam from Eyes on Africa. We are booking mostly Wilderness camps and her prices are much better than the first TA I used who was recommended by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.

Pam is working with our free Park Hyatt nights and is willing to work with us to give the first agent a small piece of the itinerary. I have to tuse the first one for some air because I had already given them a $1000 deposit when I found Eyes on Africa.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Thumbs up We are using

an agent recomended by Wilderness Safaris. I emailed them and asked for a recomended agent. They sent us to a great guy who is also in Oregon. He is extremely knowledgable and former camp manager for Mombo for Wilderness. The agent we are using has a very nice web site:
www.naturalmigrations.com. We are visiting in May 2008 with 3 camps for 3 days each plus an overnight at Victoria Falls.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM - I made it, for now.
We were in Southern Africa in February 2007. We used Wild Journeys.

Not only was our guide enormously knowledgable about the flora and fauna, he was also well versed in the myraid of camping, lodging and hotel facilities available. I give them the highest recommendation.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Has anyone used The General Safari Company in Botswana (or elsewhere)?

A friend of mine used them and had a good experience, but I was curious whether anyone else on this board has done so. (This is a link to their website: http://www.gensaf.co.za/.) Thanks very much.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can the folks here post how long their trip was and approximate cost on the ground - ie. for land travel, lodging, safari etc.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM
We used Premier Tours in Philadelphia, a recommended Wilderness agency, and the owner contributes to the Fodors books and has also been recommended by Conde Nast. He took care of the entire trip which consisted of not only 3 Wilderness properties in Botswana, but also V. Falls and Cape Town and the Winelands. I recommended them to another poster here who was also very happy with their trip/pricing.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond
cost

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Can the folks here post how long their trip was and approximate cost on the ground - ie. for land travel, lodging, safari etc.
I ultimately booked through ATR (Africa Travel Resources).
http://www.africatravelresource.com/

Cost was $11,100 for 2 people including 9 safari nights, 2 nights in Vic Falls and all internal airfare. Travel was during May which was not high season. I received quotes from 2 other agents and ATR was more competitive. It took some back and forth discussion to get to that price and we separately booked our flights JNB-Vic Falls and Maun-JNB because of the mark-up ATR wanted to charge.

Camps were 3 nights each and included Duma Tau, Little Kwara and Kwetsani. In Vic Falls to save some money, we stayed at Natural Mystic Lodge which was fine, but not plush. Location was a bit out of town.

Wilderness Safaris is offering some good deals now including buy 6, get 1 free and some other promotions which you can see on their website.

This agent is also showing a great deal which inlcludes 8 nights in Wilderness camps, airfare to/from JNB and an overnight in JNB for $4,000 per person (through May)
http://www.africa-adventure.com/safa...na_wing_safari

I believe &Beyond is doing buy 4, get 2 free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.