Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get to Zambia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Best way to get to Zambia?

Hi everyone.

My cousin wants to go to Zambia this summer to help with a missions project there, and we need to find her the best and most affordable way to get there from the US. Can anyone offer any insights as to the best airlines, routings, places to look for good fares, airports, etc.?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2003, 4:50 pm
JHL

I am going to Zambia for vacation in August. I choose to fly through Johannesburg, because that is a great jumping off point for Southern Africa. You can fly there from the US on South African Air (leaving JFK and ATL) or on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. I believe there are also flights via LHR, and Virgin probably has lower fares than British Airways to Joburg.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:41 pm

I've heard that they have a pretty sweet Wimpy Restaurant in Zambia. They serve your burgers on a plate. You may want to check it out.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Kris_Akabusi_Experience
I've heard that they have a pretty sweet Wimpy Restaurant in Zambia.
Thanks, and welcome to FT!

Zambia is a big country, so if you could tell us exactly where this sweet Wimpy is located, it might save the hungry a very long walk.

Johan
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by JHL
I am going to Zambia for vacation in August. I choose to fly through Johannesburg, because that is a great jumping off point for Southern Africa. You can fly there from the US on South African Air (leaving JFK and ATL) or on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. I believe there are also flights via LHR, and Virgin probably has lower fares than British Airways to Joburg.
Agree - JNB is entry point into Zambia for most people (there are several companies flying good planes JNB and Livingstone, including Comair (which is really BA) and SA.

As far as getting to JNB, depends on your parameters. SA is the easiest since it goes non-stop from the US. As a OneWorld junkie myself I tend to fly through LHR (BA has 2 daily flights, last I checked). If price is the determinant then just check on expedia - you'll be on SA, BA or VS.

One more piece of advice - if you choose to fly through Europe, I'd recommend spending 1 or 2 days there for jet lag purposes. Since there's little time change to JNB, you then get on an overnight 10-11 hrs flight and wake up in JNB well rested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.