Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Kenya/Uganda from US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Getting to Kenya/Uganda from US

Need help on best way to get to Kenya/Uganda from US or somewhere in Europe possibly. Trying to use mileage plus miles.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gatorgirl
Need help on best way to get to Kenya/Uganda from US or somewhere in Europe possibly. Trying to use mileage plus miles.
Have you done an award search on united.com?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On a random date in September, united.com is showing award availability in both Economy and Business Class for JFK-NBO:

Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:27 am

Programs: Signature Travel Network, Safari Professionals
The best way, according to 2023 on-time statistics, along with my personal experience dealing with many guests, is going to be on Delta/KLM via Amsterdam or Qatar via Doha. I agree that United/Lufthansa (for Kenya) and United/Brussels Air for Uganda is a close third.

I usually recommend starting a trip that includes a safari in Kenya and gorilla trek in Uganda with the safari. This gives you time to acclimate to altitude as the safari is enjoyed around 5,000 feet elevation which is almost as high as the gorilla experience. Of course, some like to get the hard part of the trip over with first and therefore trek first. Note the shared light air flight between Entebbe and the Masai Mara is now seasonal.

If you are using Mileage Plus, the decision is made for you! Fly United to Frankfurt then a code share to Naiorbi on Lufthansa. The return will be from Entebbe/EBB on Brussels Air and changing to a United plane in Brussels. Sometimes, you can continue on Brussels air to the US depending on where you star/finish the trip.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
billygoat27 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:12 pm

Same question! But with delta and cap one

Trying to do no more than one layover and the longest leg in a lay down (upgrade with points). Have cap one business venture x and delta !
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Just hard finding flights available in business. and trying to stay on “safe” airlines lol.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Have looked but will not fly Ethiopian Airlines or some others. Would prefer to stay with certain airlines.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi RestlessFeet,

It is very easy on Skyteam (Delta). I live 20 minutes from MSP.

Option 1 - this option earns MQD which is the only way to make status by flying on Delta in 2024.
-Fly on a Delta aircraft to AMS. Likley from MSP, DTW, SLC, ATL, JFK
-Fly KLM to EBB or NBO. Depending which country you begin with.
-Fly KLM home from NBO or EBB. Depending which country you end with.
-This is one ticket on Delta and KLM are code share flights on the Delta ticket.

Option 2 - You earn Skymiles only.
-Fly Kenya Airways from JFK-NBO. Continue onward on Kenya Airways to Entebbe when done with Kenya safari.
-Fly home EBB-NBO at roughly 430pm, layover a few hours, fly Kenya Airways NBO-EBB.
-If starting with Uganda, the above works in the opposite (land NBO from JFK and continue to EBB same day on Kenya Airways).
-This is one ticket on Kenya Airways. NBO-EBB or EBB-NBO might be issued separately by your safari planner's ticketing department.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes but don’t really want to fly Ethiopian or Turkish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.