Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yellow Fever Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Yellow Fever Requirements

I will be travelling to Kenya from Canada and since Canada isn't an at risk country of YF transmission, I know I don't need it to enter Kenya.

On the way home, I'll be flying NBO - SFO with a layover in Doha, would I need a YF vaccination cert to board the Qatar flight to get back since Kenya is on the list of at risk countries?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Not sure about the answer, but why not just get the vaccination? It lasts a lifetime and saves you having this hassle again.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by DaveS
Not sure about the answer, but why not just get the vaccination? It lasts a lifetime and saves you having this hassle again.
The YF vaccination is not without risks. If you are not in one of the at risk groups for the vaccine, I agree with you. Especially if you are going to repeatedly travel to or connect through the higher risk areas of the world. The UK's Fit for Travel site has a pretty good summary of the risks.

https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/yell...r-vaccine#side
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:11 am

Here is a really handy interface into Timatic (the source that airlines use to determine entry and transit requirements).

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic

Put in all of your info (including DOH as a transit point).

I might add that even when visiting/transiting countries with Yellow Fever Inoculation requirements, I have never been asked by airline personnel at check-in for proof of vaccination. It was always by immigration officials on arrival.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, VIPorter
We were asked for YF certificates as we entered the Kilimanjaro Airport 3 weeks ago coming off a flight from ADD to JRO Tanzania. We transited ADD for just a few hours (from YYZ) so we would have been exempt but it was easier just to pull out the certificates. We were vaccinated years ago but if vaccination is an issue and someone is not spending time in an endemic area, travel clinics can possibly issue contraindication certificates.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Cas23
We were asked for YF certificates as we entered the Kilimanjaro Airport 3 weeks ago coming off a flight from ADD to JRO Tanzania. We transited ADD for just a few hours (from YYZ) so we would have been exempt but it was easier just to pull out the certificates. We were vaccinated years ago but if vaccination is an issue and someone is not spending time in an endemic area, travel clinics can possibly issue contraindication certificates.
In most major US cities they are available from a travel medical practice. I personally got the vaccination even though I am over 60 and can get a doctor's letter from my local travel medicine clinic. The letter is considered a one use item by some countries and you may have to get a new one every trip.
Cas23 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
It lasts a lifetime and saves you having this hassle again.
Wait, what? Didn't know that. Cool. Guess I can cross Yellow Fever booster off my list.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Wait, what? Didn't know that. Cool. Guess I can cross Yellow Fever booster off my list.
The guidance/rules changed several years ago. I was due a booster back then. The clinic signed my certificate to say it was done when it was not as not all countries recognised the lifetime coverage back then. Some information here:

https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/yellow-fever-vaccine
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thing is FINDING who has YF vaccine in stock. I finally tracked down ONE Walgreen's. I don't know if it's because I needed prescription (over 60) but it ended up being FREE. No adverse reaction, at all. Recently (March 2024), I had to talk myself into getting permission to enter Nicaragua w/o YF vac at a land crossing from Honduras. I think it wasn't officially required though and I read a recent post about corrupt (exorbitant "fee") immigration personnel at Guasale border crossing. Anyway, I'm glad that I have YF vac now---years ago the vac wasn't even available hardly anywhere in Sacramento, CA. I now don't have to worry about 1: not being admitted to country, 2: catching YF unvaccinated.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tailgater
Thing is FINDING who has YF vaccine in stock. I finally tracked down ONE Walgreen's. I don't know if it's because I needed prescription (over 60) but it ended up being FREE. No adverse reaction, at all. Recently (March 2024), I had to talk myself into getting permission to enter Nicaragua w/o YF vac at a land crossing from Honduras. I think it wasn't officially required though and I read a recent post about corrupt (exorbitant "fee") immigration personnel at Guasale border crossing. Anyway, I'm glad that I have YF vac now---years ago the vac wasn't even available hardly anywhere in Sacramento, CA. I now don't have to worry about 1: not being admitted to country, 2: catching YF unvaccinated.
+1

Exactly the same logic lead me to getting mine. Especially your #2 reason. Being seriously exposed to YF and not being vaccinated.
Swanhunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.