Search

Cape Town: Business in Observatory, Staying in City Center/Waterfront

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Cape Town: Business in Observatory, Staying in City Center/Waterfront

I will traveling to South Africa next week for my first time ever. I have business at the South African Astronomical Observatory in Cape Town. There is a long, tortured backstory that I shouldn't get into here, but I am basically required to stay in one of the following hotels:
  • Radisson Blu Waterfront
  • Radission Blu Hotel & Residence
  • AC Hotel
  • Hyatt Regency
  • Sun Square City Bowl Hotel
Does anyone have any thoughts that can help guide me in my selection? Safety is a consideration, but I also would like there to be some fun bars/restaurants within walking distance. The Radisson Blu Waterfront looks nice, but I'm concerned that there won't be much to do in the immediate vicinity, plus its that much further from Observatory.

I'm also planning on a brief safari in Inverdoorn. It's gonna be weird seeing the Sun in the northern half of the sky and constellations that I don't recognize! But I'm looking forward to it!
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would go for the AC Hotel Marriott or the Radisson Waterfront, and ask the hotel if it's safe to walk to the V&A where the restaurants are, if you want to walk after dark. Assuming you are driving yourself to the Observatory, you'll hop on the N1/N2 at the end of the Dock Road. For first timers I don't think the CBD is a good choice, there are a lot of scams in Cape Town and some opportunist robberies, reports seemed worse during covid but it's always been an issue around the Long St area as the main drinking area. We don't walk around the city at night, just get taxis to/from restaurants.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As long as you are aware how Inverdoorn operates, they have a moderately large reserve and an improving cheetah program, but the lions are separate and not free roaming. That's your choice. (There are no free roaming lions near Cape Town). Personally if you have limited free time and want to see natural wonders I would focus on Table Mountain; the Cape Peninsula including Cape Point and look for ostriches on the beaches there and the penguins at Boulders Bay; the penguins at Stoney Point and R44 drive; the mountains around the winelands.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by konagirl2
I would go for the AC Hotel Marriott or the Radisson Waterfront, and ask the hotel if it's safe to walk to the V&A where the restaurants are, if you want to walk after dark. Assuming you are driving yourself to the Observatory, you'll hop on the N1/N2 at the end of the Dock Road. For first timers I don't think the CBD is a good choice, there are a lot of scams in Cape Town and some opportunist robberies, reports seemed worse during covid but it's always been an issue around the Long St area as the main drinking area. We don't walk around the city at night, just get taxis to/from restaurants.
Thanks! Trying to take all the feedback I've gotten, the AC Hotel Marriott may be the best solution, but it's close to what I can spend.

Originally Posted by konagirl2
As long as you are aware how Inverdoorn operates, they have a moderately large reserve and an improving cheetah program, but the lions are separate and not free roaming. That's your choice. (There are no free roaming lions near Cape Town). Personally if you have limited free time and want to see natural wonders I would focus on Table Mountain; the Cape Peninsula including Cape Point and look for ostriches on the beaches there and the penguins at Boulders Bay; the penguins at Stoney Point and R44 drive; the mountains around the winelands.
Oh, we plan to do most of that! Inverdoorn was the choice of friends; I'm just tagging along. But I definitely want to check out Table Mountain, Cape Point and Stoney Point. No way I'm going to miss seeing wild penguins!
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:40 am

I've never had any issues walking to or from the Waterfront when staying at the Westin or AC Marriott but it gets dark early at this time of year.

I haven't eaten in Camps Bay for a while but it's good for sundowners if the skies are clear and it's only a few mins and very cheap by Uber from Waterfront area.

I agree with Kona...I would avoid random walking around in the cbd after dark.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
The AC Marriot is close to the waterfront and I think should be okay to walk there. The Radisson Waterfront is a nice property and when I was there years ago provided a great local shuttle/courtesy car that would take you back and forth to the waterfront at all hours. I would pick that one if the courtesy car still operates.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:42 pm

There is now a walking route to the V&A waterfront that avoids the car traffic. You will see a pedestrian bridge near the CTICC. Once on the other side, continue straight ahead, and you should see a sign that refers to the "scenic route without the traffic" (or something like that) and you should make a half-left turn and follow the canal.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:47 pm

I used to take the train between Observatory and Cape Town City Centre when visiting SAAO 20 years ago, but this is no longer considered a safe option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.