Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

10 Days in Cape Town - Suggestions? Tour Recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Qatar Airways Priveledge Club

Hi everyone! So the travel agent that I normally work with is currently on hiatus. I've got nothing booked as I was initially going to be pushing this trip but I've got some time available now. So at the moment I'll be travelling with my mother (late 50s) with a couple of friends joining mid way through the trip in the 3rd week of February. Our dates are Feb 9-17. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on tour companies that will take care of any airport transfers, day trips in and around Cape Town. I've heard the must things to do are to go to Table Mountain, wineries (Stellenbosch), and to do the garden route. Does anyone have any suggestions of what are must see things and how to safely do those things. I was told to do the garden route. How safe are these things to do? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have been to Cape Town several times in the last ten years and I have always felt safe more or less, but you need to be careful and since the first time I have used the same driver/guide and his prices have always been reasonable. He has taken us up the garden route and down to Cape Point and Boulders Beach through Franschhoek and Stellenbosch and along Chapman's Peak. You might also want to go to Robben Island and see some of the beaches (Hout Bay, Camps Bay). We were also recommended to a unique hotel on the garden route, Tsala Treetop Lodge. Coincidentally he will be dropping me off at the airport in Cape Town on the 9th, the day you arrive. I will pm you his contact info in case you want to get in touch with him.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I have been to Cape Town several times in the last ten years and I have always felt safe more or less, but you need to be careful and since the first time I have used the same driver/guide and his prices have always been reasonable. He has taken us up the garden route and down to Cape Point and Boulders Beach through Franschhoek and Stellenbosch and along Chapman's Peak. You might also want to go to Robben Island and see some of the beaches (Hout Bay, Camps Bay). We were also recommended to a unique hotel on the garden route, Tsala Treetop Lodge. Coincidentally he will be dropping me off at the airport in Cape Town on the 9th, the day you arrive. I will pm you his contact info in case you want to get in touch with him.
Hi, if you don't mind PMing me the driver's name as well, that would be greatly appreciated! I will be in Capetown from March 12-19 and would love to arrange some day trips etc.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Qatar Airways Priveledge Club
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Thank you so much for this info! I've been quoted roughly $3000 USD pp. There will be 2 of us. 11 days of hotels, a mix of group and private tours, wineries in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch . I can post my itinerary if that's of interest. I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped off or note, but it seems like the pricing is fair. I will for sure grab that number off of you. Would be great to get around with.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by harusadu
Thank you so much for this info! I've been quoted roughly $3000 USD pp. There will be 2 of us. 11 days of hotels, a mix of group and private tours, wineries in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch . I can post my itinerary if that's of interest. I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped off or note, but it seems like the pricing is fair. I will for sure grab that number off of you. Would be great to get around with.
Yes. Happy to have a look. Enjoy!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Alaska Airline, Delta Airline, British Air
It sounds as if you have already made your reservations, but I thought I would chip in anyway with my experiences and perhaps suggestions for things to do in and around Cape Town and perhaps for your next trip.

Have been to Cape Town a few times in the last several years, travelling by myself and with a travel companion. Most recently returned in December.

On each occasion I booked accommodation through booking agencies (airbnb, booking.com.) or directly with the accommodation after carefully studying reviews for comments regarding amenities and how safe deferent areas are. While staying In Cape Town I have taken a day tour of Robben Island and visited Table Mountain. Would also recommend the Museum of Contemporary Art. https://zeitzmocaa.museum/ which you can easily reach by taxi from your accommodation..

A day trip to Boulders Beach as someone else mentioned, to see penguins should not be missed. It is less than an hour drive from Cape Town with some nice beaches and places to explore along the way.

Also less than an hour away is Stellenbosch a lovely University town and nice place to stay for a few days to explore the surrounding vineyards, but can be visited in a day. There are an infinite number of vineyards in that area. I recommend visiting Delaire Graff and Tokara Vineyards.

I have never hired a driver, as I have always rented a car for day trips from Cape Town, and have driven from Johannesburg to Kruger and then to Cape Town via the Garden Route on more than one occasion.. I have found it remarkably easy to adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road. (I live in Canada). I never drive at night, and use a navigation device to prevent getting lost. That being said, I have some experience driving in other places (Brazil) where you have to be alert tot he possibility of crimes like smash and grabs, and hijacking.

Which brings me to the topic of safety. In general I would say use precautions that you would use in any big city or at tourist sites in countries where there is extreme poverty. Always be alert to your surroundings. Do not walk or drive in the dark, or in isolated places. Avoid townships. Here is the advice that the government of Canada gives. https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/south-africa I would suggest reading it, but don't let it put you off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.