Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Johannesburg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:09 pm

Why I said "maybe an option for you"... Regardless, sounds like he is sorted.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I've been to Johannesburg four or five times and have always stayed in Sandton. It's a little sterile but relatively safe. I've driven from JNB to Sandton late at night (N3 to Marlboro Drive to Katherine Street) and I'm comfortable with that.

For my trip in January, I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn in Rosebank adjacent to the mall. My flight doesn't arrive until 22:10. Will driving from JNB to Rosebank late at night be equally as safe as driving to Sandton at that hour? Or should I stay near the airport for the first night and then move to the hotel in Rosebank?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Driving to Rosebank won't be materially less safe, though proportionally less of the journey is on the N3. However, please do check the route your GPS gives you as the fastest routing (by 1 min) takes you through some suburbs - Houghton Estate and Orange Grove on Google maps - that are distinctly sketchy. You want the route using the R24. Usual street smarts apply, doors locked, cruise slowly up to a red robot, no valuables in sight etc.
ecaarch likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Dec 22, 2023 at 6:39 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
However, please do check the route your GPS gives you as the fastest routing (by 1 min) takes you through some suburbs - Houghton Estate and Orange Grove on Google maps - that are distinctly sketchy. You want the route using the R24.
Thanks for the info. That def seems doable. From my previous visits, I found that JNB can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. A you advised, you gotta pay attention to your surroundings and be street smart.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Or to keep it easy, just take your same route to Sandton and then South on Rivonia and Oxford Street past Illovo - won’t be more than five minutes slower than going ‘direct’ and you’ll know where you are….
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Adding a recommendation for the Marriott Melrose Arch. Yes it's a chain, but it is a very good one with some truly excellent staff and great rooms. Melrose Arch is a bit of a bubble but for first time visitors it's also a safe place to hang out, and for regulars it's nice to be able to go for a walk after dinner. Well worth considering.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Driving to Rosebank won't be materially less safe, though proportionally less of the journey is on the N3. However, please do check the route your GPS gives you as the fastest routing (by 1 min) takes you through some suburbs - Houghton Estate and Orange Grove on Google maps - that are distinctly sketchy. You want the route using the R24. Usual street smarts apply, doors locked, cruise slowly up to a red robot, no valuables in sight etc.
I thought houghton estates was one of the nicest areas?

we are planning on staying here https://theresidence.co.za instead of the Hilton. Seems very nice and they have onsite car service. Unfortunately, the Rolls is out for service and a Mercedes is subbing in.

if you do stay there, check booking dot com prices. They match prices and in my case I saved 30% so I upgraded to the penthouse.

Last edited by tkelvin69; Jan 11, 2024 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I thought houghton estates was one of the nicest areas?
The estate is - the roads that take you past there however are not.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Adding a recommendation for the Marriott Melrose Arch. Yes it's a chain, but it is a very good one with some truly excellent staff and great rooms. Melrose Arch is a bit of a bubble but for first time visitors it's also a safe place to hang out, and for regulars it's nice to be able to go for a walk after dinner. Well worth considering.
But don't venture two blocks from the hotel....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2476810.html
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF SG
Any thoughts on which is a better location for a tourist between the Hyatt House Sandton & Hyatt House Rosebank?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bacook
Any thoughts on which is a better location for a tourist between the Hyatt House Sandton & Hyatt House Rosebank?
Bumping this.

Any recent stays at Hyatt House Rosebank?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Bumping this.

Any recent stays at Hyatt House Rosebank?
Not familiar with either hotel specifically but I know where both are. I'd pick the Rosebank location as the area is more vibey, has more going on during the day and at night too. The mall - which the district revolves around - is 2 blocks away too. Sandton location is much more of a walk and not one to do after dark.

Wherever you are in Johannesburg you'l be travelling around to visit stuff so there isn't, per se, a "best" location. Lots of people recommend Sandton almost by default but I really don't like it that much. Rosebank and Melrose Arch are better IMO.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:56 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
What Swanhunter said.
I've stayed at the HH Rosebank a couple of times, and it's an easy walk to the Firs and the Rosebank Mall, which is a nice indoors/outdoors but safe area for wandering, shopping, eating (although imo it's short a decent pub). I've never stayed at HH Sandton, but then I've only stayed in Sandton 4-5 times (out of 50 odd visits), and not for 6-7 years. as I don't really rate it. The mall is fine, but it's all indoors and just feels like a mall, and the area while safe enough isn't really great for wandering around, too many office blocks and panhandlers.
Melrose Arch I've only ever driven through.
Swanhunter and MarkP24 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Not familiar with either hotel specifically but I know where both are. I'd pick the Rosebank location as the area is more vibey, has more going on during the day and at night too. The mall - which the district revolves around - is 2 blocks away too. Sandton location is much more of a walk and not one to do after dark.

Wherever you are in Johannesburg you'l be travelling around to visit stuff so there isn't, per se, a "best" location. Lots of people recommend Sandton almost by default but I really don't like it that much. Rosebank and Melrose Arch are better IMO.
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
What Swanhunter said.
I've stayed at the HH Rosebank a couple of times, and it's an easy walk to the Firs and the Rosebank Mall, which is a nice indoors/outdoors but safe area for wandering, shopping, eating (although imo it's short a decent pub). I've never stayed at HH Sandton, but then I've only stayed in Sandton 4-5 times (out of 50 odd visits), and not for 6-7 years. as I don't really rate it. The mall is fine, but it's all indoors and just feels like a mall, and the area while safe enough isn't really great for wandering around, too many office blocks and panhandlers.
Melrose Arch I've only ever driven through.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.