Wiki Posts
Search

Mauritius in January

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Mauritius in January

Thought I'd get some feedback - contemplating changing our family vacation from Hawaii (been several times) to Mauritius for this January and staying at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Impérial Resort & Spa (we have status). I haven't booked the flights yet and the hotel booking is cancellable. Have some concerns on weather in January (stay Jan 2 - 11). From what we read theres 13 hours of sun daily but it is one of the wettest times of the year. For those who have been or know, does it typically rain at night or are we looking at several days of only rain?

Alternatively looking at a 3 - 4 day safari followed by a beach vacation somewhere nearby.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alveoli0
Thought I'd get some feedback - contemplating changing our family vacation from Hawaii (been several times) to Mauritius for this January and staying at the Sofitel Mauritius L'Impérial Resort & Spa (we have status). I haven't booked the flights yet and the hotel booking is cancellable. Have some concerns on weather in January (stay Jan 2 - 11). From what we read theres 13 hours of sun daily but it is one of the wettest times of the year. For those who have been or know, does it typically rain at night or are we looking at several days of only rain?

Alternatively looking at a 3 - 4 day safari followed by a beach vacation somewhere nearby.

Thanks in advance!
The east of the island is said to be wetter than the west, and the rainfall tends to come in bursts. The Sofitel resort is on the sheltered west side, so you should be okay. We've booked ten days in Mauritius, flying from JNB mid January, and decided to hedge our bets and stay on both sides of the island. Do double-check COVID requirements.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by alveoli0

Thanks in advance!
Not sure how helpful this will be but we went for a few days in March and it rained the whole time pretty much.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:19 pm

November 15 - May 15 is cyclone (hurricane) season. The island is not hit directly every year, but it is a roll of the dice to go at that time.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Feb

We are visiting from Lax-CDG to Mauritius in February. Rolling the dice on weather. Three nights only. Thinking of trying the Four Seasons.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:45 pm

The odds are probably with you. Malibu is my hometown (not lived there since the 1970's), so best wishes for your travels.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Malibu is wonderful. And we may be staying there this Feb, unfortunately, but lets see how this all plays out. Weather is least of our concerns now.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBauer
Malibu is wonderful. And we may be staying there this Feb, unfortunately, but lets see how this all plays out. Weather is least of our concerns now.
We have booked Dec 31 to Jan 11 and now that is unlikely to happen. Planned to stop over in Vienna and walk around during the 12 hour layover but the current lockdown will have us staying at the lounge if this trip even happens. There are rumours that the hospitals are overwhelmed and that the government is downplaying the occupancy challenges. Really unsure what to do.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Anyone in Mauritius who can provide some accuracy to the current situation?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Per the local press (https://www.lemauricien.com/tag/covid-19/) there are roughly 2000 active cases and 71% of the pop is vaccinated.

This article notes that hospital admissions are down as of late (Il est vrai que le nombre d’admissions a baissé. ) but like pretty much everywhere, the healthcare workers are really starting to feel it now after 1.5y of doing nothing but emergency work.

My personal impression is that the situation in MRU is no worse / no better than anywhere else. If you feel you must go, the usual precautions would seem to be warranted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.