Escalated Entry Requirements For Tanzania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Escalated Entry Requirements For Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi guys, any recent data points for travel into Tanzania? Are they essentially performing a test on arrival for all travelers now?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bradfrancini
Hi guys, any recent data points for travel into Tanzania? Are they essentially performing a test on arrival for all travelers now?
Yes, that is my understanding.

My award tickets to JRO are on hold for departure in three weeks. Have been watching accommodation availabilities at multiple lodges diligently, to jump on should the entry protocols change. I don't think they will however, especially with the delta variants.

As much as I wanted to do a Tanzania safari this summer, between the hoops of a 72 hour RT-PRC pre-arrival test from the states, the Russian roulette of the airport arrival test, and the reports of bribery at entry points (not just here, other forums have also touched on this), the price point would have to be an astronomical deal for me to wrap my head around accepting the hassle and the risk if nothing gives. Especially with Tanzania not accepting an ID Now NAAT pre-test.

It's disappointing, but will probably end up giving up my award tickets next week and go to Turks & Caicos in August instead.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I and 8 other friends are scheduled for late September arrival and we are still dealing not only with the constantly changing QR flight schedules but as of now, we are all able to comply with the 72 hour pre arrival "collection time" for our RT PCR tests and we all live in the US. Phew.
Our resort in Zanzibar will arrange for our tests prior to returning to the US and have agreed to place that charge on to our hotel bills. It will likely be more expensive but the convenience plus the ability to print out a hard copy is well worth it.
We are ALL using award tickets from various airlines! QR, TK and KLM.
If you are on QR, you can get a same day RT PCR test at PHL and they will expedite the result for an extra fee in order to fly the same day. Hope that is helpful.
I live in the Nashville area and was able to find a same day result test the day before I fly and due to my flights I will more than meet that 72 hour pre arrival requirement.
Good luck and keep searching for testing opportunities,
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Since I went to Dar a few weeks ago, some things had changed - this was my experience when I landed last Sunday.
In JNB, I was given a form by Ethiopian for arrival into DAR. On the flight from Addis to DAR, the same form was handed out.
HOWEVER, on arrival in DAR, we were told to log onto the Port Authority's wifi and either scan a QR code, or complete an online form - the printed forms were not accepted. Once the online form was done, you could either pay online, or with cash.
You then went to a few counters to get a confirmation, then directed to another counter to pay.
Once that is done, you wait in the queue(s) to get the quickie test and you get herder off to another area where someone will call your name and give you a printout of your test.
You then aim for Immigration, but you need to show the printout to someone manning the top of the stairs leading to Immigration.
Once downstairs, you look to your right, and grab and complete an Arrivals form.
This, you then show (plus your test result), to some Official.
Make your way to the Immigration desks and get stamped in (also Biometrics will be done if it is your first visit).
Go to baggage claim, collect luggage and put everything onto the X-Ray machine before you exit the area.

My phone, although connected to the wifi could not read the QR code (same as many other people), and completing the form was a disaster. One Official lent me his phone and that was how I got my registration done and why I did not do an online payment.
It seemed that most of the Emirates PAX that arrived just after us, did their applications online, so moved faster than us who were not notified.

Now, I am leaving tomorrow, so went for my test today (US$ 100). Again, you need to apply online and select a facility - a tip - if you go to a Private facility, they will charge an additional silly price, but if you use a State facility there is no extra charge. I got the hotel to pay for it online and add it to my bill. The State Hospital was fine, we used them before.

Then, unless something has changed in the past few weeks, when you get to the airport, you go to a specific counter, show your test results then get it stamped by some other dude then you proceed to check-in.

So, get to the airport at least three hours before your flight since the Health Check does take time especially with people in the queue who try and "bypass" the system.

Happy Travels.

Edit - I have now been waiting more than 24 hours for my result to be emailed to me, and still nothing, but I need to go to the airport. So, do your test as early as possible. I am sweating bullets here..........

Last edited by roadwarrier; Jul 17, 2021 at 2:12 am Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Thank you for the updated information roadwarrier.
May I assume that the form you wrote about is the official "health form"? It used to be available on the Qatar website when I clicked on the tab for "what you need to fly to Kilimanjaro" but when I just tried that I got an error -"404 page not found". I did see it a month ago and I recall it was a full 1 page form asking for lots of information.
I suppose when I get to the Al Mourjan lounge in DOH I will try again to complete the form online and surely I can get assistance in the business area if necessary.
Thanks for the detailed information and I hope the airport at JRO won't be as busy with arriving passengers as DAR.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
May I assume that the form you wrote about is the official "health form"? It used to be available on the Qatar website when I clicked on the tab for "what you need to fly to Kilimanjaro" but when I just tried that I got an error -"404 page not found".
Yes, that sounds right - but they change everything at the drop of a hat that even my Business Associate from Kenya who arrived days before, still had to deal with the Health Form.

Anyway, another update - my Business Associate is friends with the KQ Station Manager and met me at the airport after a meeting since he needed to change his outbound ticket. Told the guy about my predicament about not getting my Covid letter. Anyway, my now, bestie, phoned around and even got the airport Manager involved to expedite my letter from the Laboratory Service.
I got it in time for check in with time to spare to use the Lounge and have a rather large, liquid libation. This led to a few more when the ET Cockpit Crew were still sitting in the Lounge waiting for a technical issue to get sorted.
So, all worked out in the end, albeit it with a steep rise in Blood Pressure and Anxiety Disorder.
At least back at home on time and as planned, even though it is freezing cold - we are experiencing a major blast from the Antarctic resulting in temperatures below zero Celcius.

Till next time, safe and happy travels.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes, that sounds right - but they change everything at the drop of a hat that even my Business Associate from Kenya who arrived days before, still had to deal with the Health Form.

Anyway, another update - my Business Associate is friends with the KQ Station Manager and met me at the airport after a meeting since he needed to change his outbound ticket. Told the guy about my predicament about not getting my Covid letter. Anyway, my now, bestie, phoned around and even got the airport Manager involved to expedite my letter from the Laboratory Service.
I got it in time for check in with time to spare to use the Lounge and have a rather large, liquid libation. This led to a few more when the ET Cockpit Crew were still sitting in the Lounge waiting for a technical issue to get sorted.
So, all worked out in the end, albeit it with a steep rise in Blood Pressure and Anxiety Disorder.
At least back at home on time and as planned, even though it is freezing cold - we are experiencing a major blast from the Antarctic resulting in temperatures below zero Celsius.

Till next time, safe and happy travels.
Apologies for going OT, isn't that a major issue for South Africa. Possible loss of both vegetation and even some animals?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Apologies for going OT, isn't that a major issue for South Africa. Possible loss of both vegetation and even some animals?

Yes, some winters are more harsh than others. The interior gets very dry with fire risks which, in turn, can lead to loss of animals, whether livestock or wildlife. The Cape, on the other hand, has rain with various levels of snow in the mountainous regions. Livestock is generally protected, but there will be loss of wildlife in extreme conditions.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:11 am

I'm a bit confused by the exit procedure...I presumed the test to leave Tanzania was done according to the policy of the country you are flying back to. As such, I planned to use a self test which is allowed by the US. Are you saying that Tanzania itself requires a test to leave the country?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:40 am

I'm a bit confused by the exit procedure...I presumed the test to leave Tanzania was done according to the policy of the country you are flying back to. As such, I planned to use a self test which is allowed by the US. Are you saying that Tanzania itself requires a test to leave the country?
Yes, all people leaving the country need to have the test done, so it is not destination country issue.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:53 pm

Yes, all people leaving the country need to have the test done, so it is not destination country issue.
Is a PCR test required to exit the Tanzania? Or is a rapid test enough if thats all your destination country requires? We will be departing ZNZ to USA next month and I want to make sure I have everything properly sorted out.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by beastieb
Is a PCR test required to exit the Tanzania? Or is a rapid test enough if thats all your destination country requires? We will be departing ZNZ to USA next month and I want to make sure I have everything properly sorted out.
No, it is the PCR test that is required. As I mentioned, you go online and book an appointment for the swab (US$ 100). Preferably, get the hotel to book it for you since they can point you towards the nearest Public Facility, otherwise, you will need to pay an additional "handling fee". And also, most of the form is in Swahili.
Also, as I learnt last time, give enough of a timeframe for the result to be sent to you - you need this at the airport in order to check in, irrespective of your destination or airline.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:09 am

No, it is the PCR test that is required. As I mentioned, you go online and book an appointment for the swab (US$ 100). Preferably, get the hotel to book it for you since they can point you towards the nearest Public Facility, otherwise, you will need to pay an additional "handling fee". And also, most of the form is in Swahili.
Also, as I learnt last time, give enough of a timeframe for the result to be sent to you - you need this at the airport in order to check in, irrespective of your destination or airline.
Is there anywhere that spells out this requirement?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:42 pm

I'm going to email the US Embassy on this one. I can't find confirmation on this anywhere online. Also, given the uncertainty/cost of local testing, I'd far prefer to use the US-approved self test in this scenario.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:20 pm

I'm going to email the US Embassy on this one. I can't find confirmation on this anywhere online. Also, given the uncertainty/cost of local testing, I'd far prefer to use the US-approved self test in this scenario.
I emailed the embassy a couple days ago as well. If/when I get a response I will post what they advise here. Please do the same. Thank you
roadwarrier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.