Search

Car and Driver DAR to JRO/ARK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Car and Driver DAR to JRO/ARK

Hello all,

I am in need of a car/driver to take me on the 12 hour drive from DAR to Arusha. I understand about the Buses, Train, Flight, etc but I will need to drive for personal reasons.

I spoke to a local friend of mine who insisted that a white none-African native (his words) should not drive this sector due to "Police Issues" and "ridiculous speeding tickets" to put it lightly. I have driven extensively in SA, Namibia, etc. Taking his advice he recommended I get a driver instead. Anyone know of a company that will do it or any comment?

Thank you

Last edited by DLATL777; Jan 12, 2021 at 7:20 pm
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Hello all,

I am in need of a car/driver to take me on the 12 hour drive from DAR to Arusha. I understand about the Buses, Train, Flight, etc but I will need to drive for personal reasons.

I spoke to a local friend of mine who insisted that a white none-African native (his words) should not drive this sector due to "Police Issues" and "ridiculous speeding tickets" to put it lightly. I have driven extensively in SA, Namibia, etc. Taking his advice he recommended I get a driver instead. Anyone know of a company that will do it or any comment?

Thank you
Thinking of my experiences quite some years ago I'd say your friend is probably right ... I was told a story that amongst other bilateral aid given by Germany to Tanzania there were a load of handheld speed detectors given to the police who love to stop nice looking cars, especially those driven by foreigners on the main roads ... The roads were pretty decent , but speed limits were quite low and poorly signed which of course interacts nicely with the police in every town having speed traps set up.

Not sure if it's changed, but being driven probably a better option than driving yourself if you don't want to fly. I'd guess contact some of the local travel agents if you don't get any other recommendations here ...I'm sure some Dar based tour operators would be happy to help out here if nobody here has any other recommendations.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A good hotel should be able to arrange this, although not necessarily at the lowest cost.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I was able to find a tour operator to do it for $350 which I find quite reasonable for a 10/11 hour drive including lunch and water.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: https://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/jon.stubberfield
I could ask one of my DMC contacts, but they usually only help me with packages including hotels/lodges. Not sure if that helps.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I was able to find a tour operator to do it for $350 which I find quite reasonable for a 10/11 hour drive including lunch and water.
Doesn't sound too bad if it's a decent car .. I'm sure you'd find it a bit cheaper locally if you were on the ground to arrange.. but that's not too bad a price really especially if there's a few of you travelling.
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I know this response may be a bit too late. But you may still be able to use it:

- I would personally never drive if I can avoid it. It is simply dangerous and people die in large numbers on the roads in Tanzania. Even though you drive nicely, that doesnt help you if a 30 ton truck comes against you around the corner and take up both lanes. Horrible head on collisions are extremely common.

- Do not and I repeat DO NOT drive after dark, whether you have a local driver or not. Sun sets around 18:30-19:00 year round in Tanzania. Within the cities you are OK, but outside the cities you face horrible road conditions and lots of life stock on the road. I had the unfortunate experience of having such an accident on my way from Dar es Salaam to Kilimanjaro years ago. Trust me, not something you want to risk. We flipped around in a Landcruiser and rolled over more than 100m after hitting a bunch of sheep on the road just outside Moshi city about an hour after dark. This was with a local behind the wheel.

Getting stopped by the police is very common. They like to camp with speed guns. You will face a lot of small villages on the road (which is nice and paved all the way). Inside the villages speed limit is 50km/h, outside it is 80km/h. You will eventually be so tired of this that you will be speeding and they know exactly where to catch you. Fine is TZS 30,000 usually (About USD 13) but if you dont have a local license you should be prepared for a lot of arguing. Tanzanian traffic police arent accustomed to see international driving licenses or foreign license, nor are they familiar with that is allowed or not. They might try and push you to pay without issuing a receipt, that is very common.

My advise:
1) If you can avoid it, fly to Kilimanjaro instead of driving.
2) If you must drive, have a local driver. You have to insist on him driving nicely. I ended up in an accident, because I was of the thinking "He's a local, surely he knows how to drive here better than me". I always start out telling them, that at no point do I want the speed to be above 90km/h. They usually complain a lot.
3) They all seem to think you can reach the Kilimanjaro area in 7-8 hours, this is not true. (Unless you drive like a maniac). Insist on leaving Dar es Salaam city at 5:30am to avoid the traffic out of the city, which is pretty bad starting from around 6am and you should be OK to reach up there without having to stress on the way. Surely the driver may try and say you can leave later, but I wouldn't do that. The first 50km out of Dar es Salaam city is very crowded and lots of trucks on the road. Leaving on a Sunday or on a holiday may be a bit better, but I still would leave no later than 6 on the dot.
4) Insist (in advance) to get a car where all seat belts are working. Its common to rent a car, just to find out seat belts have issues.
​​​
Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goaguy
I would personally never drive if I can avoid it. It is simply dangerous and people die in large numbers on the roads in Tanzania. Even though you drive nicely, that doesnt help you if a 30 ton truck comes against you around the corner and take up both lanes. Horrible head on collisions are extremely common.​​​
If you are involved in a horrible head-no collision, are you less likely to die if somebody else is driving? Also, if you hire a chauffeured vehicle, you are putting your life in the hands of somebody who may well be a worse or more reckless driver than you are.

I much prefer to be in control of the vehicle I travel in. I'll drive anywhere, only on the rarest of occasions do I use the services of a transfer company or take a taxi.

Johan
Goaguy likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by johan rebel
If you are involved in a horrible head-no collision, are you less likely to die if somebody else is driving? Also, if you hire a chauffeured vehicle, you are putting your life in the hands of somebody who may well be a worse or more reckless driver than you are.

I much prefer to be in control of the vehicle I travel in. I'll drive anywhere, only on the rarest of occasions do I use the services of a transfer company or take a taxi.

Johan
I completely agree. And as a holder of a Tanzanian drivers license I would never let anyone else be behind the wheel if I had to drive this stretch. But realistically, I would probably either fly and rent a car once I arrived, or opt for having a driver take my car from Dar es Salaam and up north and then fly myself. I really avoid driving outside the main cities in Tanzania, if I can.
If you have a SADC license you should be able to (legally) get away with driving in Tanzania. And I am sure you would know how to deal with the local roads and police, if stopped.
But if someone doesn't have experience with driving in Africa I certainly wouldn't advise you to drive yourself.
johan rebel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.