Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

Old Apr 29, 20, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
true, but she most likely will not be surprised either :/
Old May 12, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Anyone with plans to travel in October? Looks like reopening is going to be a slow crawl.
Old May 12, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
Anyone with plans to travel in October? Looks like reopening is going to be a slow crawl.
I'm scheduled to be in SA for the last week in October and first week in November. This is a rescheduled trip from April. I'm hopeful but not optimistic. I have a backup plan (Hawaii) if we can travel domestically and a second backup plan (Grand Canyon) if we can only travel within the CONUS.
Old May 13, 20, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
For us, Western Cape at the start of December. I have no expectation of actually getting there.
Old May 16, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: *G
Odds are pretty much 0% for late August, are they :/
Old May 17, 20, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Odds are pretty much 0% for late August, are they :/
Yes. Worth tracking https://sacoronavirus.co.za for on-going bad news!
Old May 17, 20, 9:45 am

As I type, I should be half way through a 3 week trip to Kruger. Also had a Kruger and Eswatini trip booked for mid Nov for 3 weeks, but resigned to it not happening. :-(
Old May 22, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
I am Cape Town based, interesting to read international flyertalk views on the situation here. Yeah things are pretty bad and about to get worse and I'm talking about the economy. Good news expect a cheap holiday with the current exchange rates that will most likely get even better.

I will provide updates here for those who wish to follow along regarding information that may of not hit the media yet or that might not be common knowledge for those overseas - that i think is worth sharing. I am predicting SA international borders open up by October, SA just can't miss out on the tourist season. I am predicting country wide civil unrest if we aren't open by November, the problem is even if the borders are open by then it doesn't mean restaurant will be open - do not be surprised if the country is subjected to a bunch of ridiculous rules that may make your holiday not even worth it.

Dlamini Zuma is the biggest liability currently, wanting alcohol and cigs to be banned until Level 1 which could be god knows when, we are currently on level 4. She also has a big say on what goes down in SA and some of the rules she wants and rules kept are just absolutely f*cking bonkers - like you can not even make it up! Example: Not allowed to buy a short sleeve T-shirt without being able to prove you will be able to wear it under a fully covered item of clothing that extends to your wrists..... what a joker.

( BTW, for those that do find themselves in Cape Town on holiday in the future and if cigs/alcohol is still banned/illegal then let me know and as a special flyertalk courtesy i will provide you with a supply of quality red/white/rose wine, whisky, gin and cigs - just PM me - but hopefully it won't get to that)
Old Yesterday, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, Flame3601, and thanks for the offer of local updates. The view from the ground is at least as important as Government outpourings!

I had previously noted the strange regulations elating to Level 5, which did not inspire me with any confidence that the Govt there had a grip on reality. Your highlight of Dlamini Zuma's thinking does not make us feel better about a December trip. And, certainly, if restaurants and bars in the Western Cape remain closed, there's little point in going anyway! Helpfully we have personal contacts with management at all 3 privately-owned hotels we use, in addition to our regular taxi driver, but additional info from you would be much appreciated,
Old Today, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
SA down to level 3 restrictions down from level 4, more info on specifics to follow. Alcohol allowed, but no cigs.
Old Today, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
SA down to level 3 restrictions down from level 4, more info on specifics to follow. Alcohol allowed, but no cigs.
Thanks for the update. Iím not a smoker, but the alcohol but no cigs rule seems odd to me. It seems like people are much more likely to make poor decisions while drinking than while smoking.
Old Today, 1:13 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Thanks for the update. Iím not a smoker, but the alcohol but no cigs rule seems odd to me. It seems like people are much more likely to make poor decisions while drinking than while smoking.
acute nicotine withdrawal isn't deadly - acute alcohol withdrawal is.
Old Today, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
acute nicotine withdrawal isn't deadly - acute alcohol withdrawal is.
Sure, but alcohol was already banned for the last two months.
Old Today, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Thanks to Stewie and Flame3601 for the info. Unfortunately my "like" button seems to have stopped working.

My own plan was CPT, PLZ and a few places in-between for a couple of months around Dec/Jan/Feb.

With what I have read here in mind, I am going to hold off on making any bookings at all. It sounds like it could go any which way. Maybe the country will be closed. Maybe it will be officially open but with domestic restrictions that would destroy the trip. Maybe it'll all be ok by then.

If I do go, it will be a last minute booking. I may, however, be looking to find another warm place to ride out the Austrian winter.

Above all, I send my best wishes to @Flame3601, family and friends. I really hope things improve for you there soon.
Old Today, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
I may, however, be looking to find another warm place to ride out the Austrian winter.
When did Friedrichshafen move to Austria? And how? By zeppelin?

Johan

Search this Thread
Search Engine: