South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:34 pm

No changes. Unfortunately.

PCR sample is gathered at testing site and then tested at a lab. You cannot gather the sample at "home" and take it somewhere to be tested. It's either gathered at testing site (e.g. an airport location, physicians office, Mediclinic, etc.) then either tested at the same location (if it has a lab) or an off site lab.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
So the ‘state of disaster’ is extended for another month. No-one seems to understand quite why, apart that ‘legislation to control outbreaks is not yet in place’ or words to that effect.
So PCR test requirements will probably continue for another month as will face mask wearing everywhere. Good job in killing the Easter holiday season.
jsnydcsa and tpsmith82 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
PCR sample is gathered at testing site and then tested at a lab. You cannot gather the sample at "home" and take it somewhere to be tested. It's either gathered at testing site (e.g. an airport location, physicians office, Mediclinic, etc.) then either tested at the same location (if it has a lab) or an off site lab.
There are several providers that send at-home collection kits. The customer initiates a video session by which the provider proctors the self-collection. The customer then sends the sample to the provider's lab, typically by overnight service using a provided package. The provider then runs the PCR test and notifies the customer of the result. I considered using such a service for my upcoming trip to South Africa, but because I'm stopping overnight en route and needed the test to serve for both, I didn't have time and had to go to a place with an on-site lab.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:36 pm

No changes. Unfortunately.

Actually, if you live in the USA it's quite easy to test from home with a perfectly acceptable PCR test that is fine to travel to SA. No need to visit any lab.

https://www.letsgetchecked.com/pre-f...covid-19-test/

I have used this three times to travel from the USA to SA with absolutely zero issues, the last time was last month. Very efficient service and related app.
The report has all the needed info, including the Doctors name.etc. Fine for the airline check-in. At CPT the person barely looks at the report anyway.

Last edited by jcmalcolm; Mar 17, 2022 at 9:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:31 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by nordboa
I received the letter of exemption today, 4 days before arrival
It did not really clarify whether or not I am axempted from a PCR test, so I will take a test and if it turns out positive I have the letter which grants the exemption.
How long did Port Health take to respond to your Letter of Exemption request? also...mind sharing how you requested the letter? Did you email the email address provided in the FAQ section of the SAcoronavirus.za.co website and included passport copy, initial positive covid test result, and letter of recovery from GP? I submitted my request about 24hrs ago. I fly MEX-LHR-CPT on the 27th. I hope I get it by then. I tested positive on the 2nd, so I really don't want to risk it and want that exemption letter.

I have been following a thread about this on Trip Advisor forums and it seems Port Health has not been doing a good job responding to people's request in a timely manner. It even caused people to be denied boarding at the airport due to the lack of Letter of Exemption.

Edit: just read your previous post in the page before. So when I submitted my email, I never got a confirmation email from them stating that they received my application. Should I be worried?

Last edited by atcanobbio; Mar 18, 2022 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:26 am

PCR for entry may be going away under the new draft regs published 14 March (with a 30 day comment period).
"on a positive note, the draft regulations suggest the removal of the PCR test requirement for fully vaccinated incoming travellers,"
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...th-regulations
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
PCR for entry may be going away under the new draft regs published 14 March (with a 30 day comment period).
"on a positive note, the draft regulations suggest the removal of the PCR test requirement for fully vaccinated incoming travellers,"
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...th-regulations
Unfortunately, the draft regulations are also suggesting a 72-hour PCR test or proof of vaccination test prior to leaving SA - regardless of the requirements of the destination country. The phrase 'arse about face' springs to mind. Another nail in the coffin for tourism.
LETTERBOY and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Postdoc
Unfortunately, the draft regulations are also suggesting a 72-hour PCR test or proof of vaccination test prior to leaving SA - regardless of the requirements of the destination country. The phrase 'arse about face' springs to mind. Another nail in the coffin for tourism.
There are times when I wonder about the mental processes of the ZA government, and this is yet another example! Most unhelpful, as we are just about to start looking to visit at the end of the year. I shall sit on my hands (and GBP) until they get their arses in gear. About to get my 4th vaccination, so hopefully that willl allow me/us to leave the country without further nonsense/costs.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 20, 2022 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:51 am

Bizarre isn’t it!
I understand this proposal applies to people who are not fully vaccinated.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Hmm, my confidence in a 'normal' experience when I head out first week of June is starting to drop.... Is the 'exit PCR test' requirement a confirmed thing that's coming in? If so that's seriously annoying.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I disagree about the implication for tourism. If you are vaccinated you get entry and exit with no testing. Very similar to Botswana, Tanzania etc. If you choose not to get vaccinated there are many hurdles to travel, all around the world. SA are at least allowing you in, provided you take a test before entry and again at exit. Compare that with much of EU where without vaccination you need an exempted reason to travel, it allows tourism, it doesn't kill it?
Stewie Mac, HGOLI and drwook like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
There are times when I wonder about the mental processes of the ZA government, and this is yet another example! Most unhelpful, as we are just about to start looking to visit at the end of the year. I shall sit on my hands (and GBP) until they get their arses in gear. About to get my 4th vaccination, so hopefully that willl allow me/us to leave the country without further nonsense/costs.
err sat on the waterfront in Capetown having brekkie now and wondering what your problem is if vaccinated? Sounds like you need a holiday
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by konagirl2
If you are vaccinated you get entry and exit with no testing. Very similar to Botswana, Tanzania etc. If you choose not to get vaccinated there are many hurdles to travel, all around the world. SA are at least allowing you in, provided you take a test before entry and again at exit. Compare that with much of EU where without vaccination you need an exempted reason to travel, it allows tourism, it doesn't kill it?
Indeed, it sounds like a good plan (at least until the next immune-evading variant).

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
err sat on the waterfront in Capetown having brekkie now and wondering what your problem is if vaccinated?
We're on the V&A Waterfront in the Mother City as well (although we had brekkie at our hotel across the street). I agree, the new plan sounds easy for those vaccinated (and really, it sounds crazy to want to travel while unvaccinated).
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
err sat on the waterfront in Capetown having brekkie now and wondering what your problem is if vaccinated? Sounds like you need a holiday
Yea, I’ve been mis-reading things, as I’m still jet-lagged from our last trip to PHX. 🤪

Time start planning/booking a return …we’ve seriously missed ZA.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Yea, I’ve been mis-reading things, as I’m still jet-lagged from our last trip to PHX. 🤪

Time start planning/booking a return …we’ve seriously missed ZA.
its nice here now late summer, just arrived in Franschoek.
Sunny and warm tho the cape doctor blew strongly yesterday afternoon and cooled us down. Our 3rd visit and first to Capetown since covid, tho we were in Kruger, west coast and hit Franschoek just in time for the booze ban Dec 2020, just hit replay and arrived at the Protea to try again.
Capetown felt pretty normal, everyone masked indoors but it’s an outdoor lifestyle dining n all and only a small minority masking up outdoors, police pretty chilled too, quite a contrast to the heavy atmosphere and strict compliance last time
Waterfront was pretty quiet, few foreigners about tho the Americans are back… sunday night was busy but Monday dead, mainly locals out for the weekend
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.