Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Help using points between CPT, VFA or BBK, EBB, & JRO?

Old Dec 29, 19, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out an itinerary exploring several African countries. I can get from Kansas City to Cape Town and out of Uganda (EBB) with United, but most of the flights between the other cities / countries are unavailable with United (or some are just really long). Timing is end of June to mid July.

I have a lot of American Airlines points I'd love to use, but I can't find any availability with any of these airports (i.e. CPT->VFA, VFA->EBB, VFA->JRO, etc.).
I also have a lot of points with Delta, but I'm not finding much there either.
I have some points with Alaska Airlines (which I understand you can find availability with British Airways search), but searching BA, I don't see any availability.
And I have some points with Virgin Atlantic, but I'm guessing there's no way to use them in Africa...

And I have Amex MR I could transfer if needed. I'm transferring a lot of Chase to United to book the main flight, but I'll be getting low on Chase points. Any suggestions on good ways to find availability?? Thanks!
--Kyle

Last edited by kyamnitz; Dec 29, 19 at 6:26 pm
Old Dec 29, 19, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyamnitz View Post
Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out an itinerary exploring several African countries. I can get from Kansas City to Cape Town and out of Uganda (EBB) with United, but most of the flights between the other cities / countries are unavailable with United (or some are just really long). Timing is end of June to mid July.

I have a lot of American Airlines points I'd love to use, but I can't find any availability with any of these airports (i.e. CPT->VFA, VFA->EBB, VFA->JRO, etc.).
I also have a lot of points with Delta, but I'm not finding much there either.
I have some points with Alaska Airlines (which I understand you can find availability with British Airways search), but searching BA, I don't see any availability.
And I have some points with Virgin Atlantic, but I'm guessing there's no way to use them in Africa...

And I have Amex MR I could transfer if needed. I'm transferring a lot of Chase to United to book the main flight, but I'll be getting low on Chase points. Any suggestions on good ways to find availability?? Thanks!
--Kyle

Have you researched which airlines fly those routes non stop or via another (major) airport?
Africa, as a continent, does not have that many internal flights. Lack of demand and politics. Internal flights can be on local airlines. More flights are to an overseas destinations.

AS award chart does not any options Africa to Africa
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Falls_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilima...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasane_Airport
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Have you researched which airlines fly those routes non stop or via another (major) airport?
Africa, as a continent, does not have that many internal flights. Lack of demand and politics. Internal flights can be on local airlines. More flights are to an overseas destinations.
Thanks, that makes some sense. I'm seeing a little more come up through United the more I search (but not JRO and some others). And I found I can get some flights in and out of Africa with American Airlines miles now - just not from Kansas City. But I could go out of Dallas (for example) to CPT and back from NBO. Unfortunately, AA doesn't have a stopover (or whatever United calls it), so I'd lose out a bit on using United here. But it would allow me to use up some of the less valuable (to me) AA miles I have and not use all of my Chase points (to transfer to United). Hmm... Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kenya Airways is in Skyteam, as is DL
Ethiopian Airlines & South Africa Airways are in Star Alliance, as is UA. However given SAA financial situation a brave person who books any flight with them
Look at what alliances the airlines are in. Many will not be in a major alliance.
If awards fail consider buying cash tickets
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Kenya Airways is in Skyteam, as is DL
Ethiopian Airlines & South Africa Airways are in Star Alliance, as is UA. However given SAA financial situation a brave person who books any flight with them
Look at what alliances the airlines are in. Many will not be in a major alliance.
If awards fail consider buying cash tickets
Thanks. I don't want to spend cash if I can avoid it.
--Kyle

Search this Thread
Search Engine: