Clothing questions-Kenya/Tanzania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)

My wife and I will be on a safari to Kenya and Tanzania in early November. Does one wear clothing with long sleeves or long sleeves, given the time of the year and/or mosquitoes?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vulcan
My wife and I will be on a safari to Kenya and Tanzania in early November. Does one wear clothing with long sleeves or long sleeves, given the time of the year and/or mosquitoes?

Thanks
I would advise to wear such clothing at night and to apply mosquito-repellent to uncovered areas (ankles, neck, face, hands, etc.) especially if you are in the vicinity of water. We once stayed two weeks on a beautiful lakeside place on Lake Tangyanika where they used diluted Domestos (toilet disinfectant) instead of insect repellent, since it was much cheaper and just as effective!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I don't remember us having a problem with mosquitoes, but we sure did with flies. They were obnoxious, flying into our ears and noses. You can buy netting to wear over your hat and down to your neck for just $1 or so in shops there. I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
but we sure did with flies. They were obnoxious, flying into our ears and noses.
Getting hammered by tsetse flies is even more fun!

Johan
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
So, do most people like us wear long or short sleeves, or is it a mix?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

I dress for the temperature. I might stuff a light jacket in a backpack if going out at dusk when the temperature will start dropping. Mosquitoes typically come out at dusk so if I am in an area with mosquitoes, it's smart to wear something that covers the arms at that time of day. There's no need to buy safari clothes. I simply wear casual clothes that I already own.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on the weather.

Short sleeves, shorts and barefoot if at all possible. At the other extreme, I've worn four layers, two beanies and gloves on game drives.

Mosquitoes don't come into the equation as far as I'm concerned, but most others will probably beg to differ.

Johan
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I agree with Johan. I've not had a thought about mosquitos while driving around or living in East Africa. And I'll generally wear shorts if it is a leisure activity. If in the jungle though, do as the inhabitants do and rub the local citrus over your skin. Works like a charm.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:32 am

Thanks
If you are worried about mosquitoes, you can get a mosquito repellent spray or cream. They are very cheap and they are not harsh on the skin. If you are going to Kenya in November, you can wear short sleeves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.