Help with Insane Itinerary - Prices...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Insane Itinerary - Prices...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Question Help with Insane Itinerary - Prices...

We're hopping pretty quickly through East / South Africa next March. Most stops only 3-5 days.

Most flights are handled through three main operators: Ethiopian, Kenyan and Air Madagascar.

Using Kayak to look for pricing. When I price it with each leg being one-way only, I get a price of: $3,812.
If I group a few legs together (ADD-JIB-ASM-ADD) with their 'multi-leg' tool - I get a slightly lower $3,333

There has to be a way to get lower ticket prices?

$1,200: MNL - ADD (RT - into ADD / out of TNR)
$138: ADD-JIB
$251: JIB-ASM
$153: ASM-ADD
$230: ADD-NBO
$63: NBO-MBA
$227: MBA-DAR
$231: DAR-SEZ
$372: SEZ-MRU
$319: MRU-TNR
$375: TRN-HAH (rt)
TNR-MNL (part of original fare).

Are there no air passes from Ethiopian Airlines, or any better way to price out multiple legs like this?
I prefer to travel with 'firm' dates so I can lock in hotels through booking.com etc.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
All those prices look pretty normal to me. I'm not aware of any air pass deals.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Well, I came across three things:

1. I read that if you come into the country (internationally) on an Ethiopian flight - that you could get your other Ethiopian 'in-africa' flights for a discount (40 or 50%)
2. Read that if you're on the ground and book tickets directly through vendors (vs the site) you could get a significant price difference (like 20 - 30%)
3. Also read if you book your tickets via their mobile app you can get a 10% discount.

Was hoping someone on Flyertalk.might know the details, or for the other carriers like Kenya etc.

Guess not.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ElephantGin
Well, I came across three things:

1. I read that if you come into the country (internationally) on an Ethiopian flight - that you could get your other Ethiopian 'in-africa' flights for a discount (40 or 50%)
2. Read that if you're on the ground and book tickets directly through vendors (vs the site) you could get a significant price difference (like 20 - 30%)
3. Also read if you book your tickets via their mobile app you can get a 10% discount.

Was hoping someone on Flyertalk.might know the details, or for the other carriers like Kenya etc.

Guess not.
1. They do offer that for intra-Ethiopia flights (for example, Addis to Lalibela) but not for international intra-Africa flights. I'm not sure what the booking process is for the discount though.
2. Sometimes. That's something you'd have to risk though upon arrival, maybe it'll be less, maybe it'll be more. As you noted, nothing is guaranteed either so hotels could potentially become an issue. Keep in mind though, this is Africa, things (even when booked confirmed) may very well not go as planned.
3. I've seen a few carriers offer something like that, but not many. If they do, it would be pretty clear in the app.

Also, flying out of TNR may be inflating your costs. Try looking at some larger African city pairs as your entry and exit points. For example, flying into JNB and out of ADD on random dates in March gets the big legs out of the way for $905, you should be able to find a cheap flight to somewhere on your list from JNB to reposition.

Round trip MNL-JNB in March can also be had for $781 if you can find cheap flights to position to JNB on the return. You'd have to play around with all your potential destinations to see what works best. Also, HKG-JNB can be had for $601 rt if you can score some cheapo flights to/from Manila.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

I ended up getting a good fare BKK - Addis, then out of Madagascar to BKK for $724 on Kenya Airlines - have read dire accounts of the airline.

HK also looked good, but I have some business I can do in BKK.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ElephantGin
I ended up getting a good fare BKK - Addis, then out of Madagascar to BKK for $724 on Kenya Airlines - have read dire accounts of the airline.
I've flown roughly 200K miles on KQ and they are a pretty good airline to me. I fly business class on the long hauls and eco on the short flights. No complaints from me as the few faults they do have are common to most all airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.