Wiki Posts
Search

Protea Hotel Transit O R Tambo Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Protea Hotel Transit O R Tambo Airport

We’ve just booked our second First (not yet being on our first First - that treat is next month) in the 2-for-1 sale to CPT. The return let is routed through JNB where we will spend nearly 5 hours.

Due to my wife’s health issues I was planning on booking a room in the transit hotel, but all of the information indicates that this hotel can only be accessed when transiting from one international flight to another. Given that I should already have the JNB-LHR boarding passes issued in CPT will we be able to access the hotel?

TIA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:48 am

The hotel is airside in the international terminal. So you need to be checked in for your international flight and through security/passport control to access it. You can only take hand baggage in.

The entrance is at the far end of the concourse by the passport control used mainly by SAA flights.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt response. This sounds like we should be ok then as our luggage will have been checked through from CPT to LHR so we will only have hand luggage and we will already be checked in. Excellent.

Last edited by bakera; Jul 15, 2018 at 7:53 am Reason: Ciorrected typo
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
The hotel is airside in the international terminal. So you need to be checked in for your international flight and through security/passport control to access it. You can only take hand baggage in.

The entrance is at the far end of the concourse by the passport control used mainly by SAA flights.
i just wanted to double check my understanding as I’ve looked at a terminal map and it appears that the only way into the hotel is from the transit corridor from international arrivals. Is there a way to enter the hotel from international departures having arrived on a domestic flight?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by bakera

i just wanted to double check my understanding as I’ve looked at a terminal map and it appears that the only way into the hotel is from the transit corridor from international arrivals. Is there a way to enter the hotel from international departures having arrived on a domestic flight?
Down the stairs behind immigration at the end of the terminal. There is a 'Le Coq Sportif' shop at the end, opposite that.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - much appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
As a South African, who uses Johannesburg airport at least several times a year, I am totally surprised by this. I did not know there was a hotel IN the airport.

Thanks for the information!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.