Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Seychelles or Mauritius?

Seychelles or Mauritius?

Old Jun 19, 18, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Seychelles or Mauritius?

We are planning 4 nights in Cape Town, 5 days safari, 2 days Joburg and then 4-5 days in either Mauritius or Seychelles.

Which would you choose? And why?
Old Jun 19, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Both are on my radar, and ideally I'd visit both over an 8-9 day stretch, but I'd probably opt for the Seychelles in your case. Mauritius seems a little smaller and not quite the biodiversity or sights to see that the Seychelles looks to have. I like the idea of island hopping and visiting Praslin.
Old Jun 19, 18, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I think Seychelles will win based on ease of flights.
Old Jun 23, 18, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
I can't speak to Mauritius but the Seychelles were really wonderful. It would take an extra ferry ride or flight but I would especially recommend Praslin or La Digue.

Anse Source d'Argent, La Digue

also Anse Source d'Argent
Old Jun 23, 18, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the pics!
Old Jun 24, 18, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by betonic View Post
Thanks for the pics!
When are you planning on going..? I am following your thread also as my wife and I plan on going to the SEYCHELLES for 2 weeks in September so that I can cycle and just hang out...
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Coincidentally, I also went in late September. It was a good time for getting deals, and on all 3 islands I stayed at guesthouses for $40-50/night for a private room (two with ensuites)

Being so close to the equator, it'll be hot no matter when you go.
Old Jun 25, 18, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Coincidentally, I also went in late September. It was a good time for getting deals, and on all 3 islands I stayed at guesthouses for $40-50/night for a private room (two with ensuites)

Being so close to the equator, it'll be hot no matter when you go.
All setup in my Travelocity Account, just not paid for the trip yet. 2 weeks starting the the 15 of September on the main Island. I am a "ROAD CYCLIST" Bicycle and curious if there is a main road that circles the perimeter of the island I could ride my bike on...? I will be bringing my own bike along with me..
Old Jun 27, 18, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a Mahe map from Googling.

If memory serves from using the rental car, the flattest sections are along the east coast from Victoria southward. The Northern loop is hilly even along the coast because of the headlands, and just about anything through the interior except at the very south will involve some real up-and-down, and on roads not engineered to western standards (drainage ditches could be a hazard for getting a wheel stuck in places). Mahe also easily has the most car traffic.

Aerial of Mahe, I believe from the southern tip.

Even if it's only a daytrip, it's probably very do-able to go via ferry to Praslin with bike and come back. Praslin has the Valee de Mai park with the coco de mers and Anse Lazio, the #1 beach in the world according to some surveys.

Search this Thread