Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:39 am

lounge access for guests

If I travel business class (by Ethiopian airlines), may I bring a guest (who travels economy) to the Cloud Nine lounge?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Surgee

flying into ADD late evening with an overnight transit and onward to JRO the following morning, all on one ticket with ET. Will get voucher, transit visa, etc.

Do I need to reclaim (am I able to reclaim) my checked bags during the overnight transit, or does ET hang onto them?

Check if this applies to you from the airline's website:

Interline Desk on the first floor will facilitate the smooth transit for immediate connecting passengers. For passengers whose connecting flight is over 8 and up to 24 hours and there is no immediate connecting flight to continue the journey, interline desk will facilitate hotel accommodation provided that such passengers have transit /entry visa. For those nationals/ citizens who are eligible for transit visa on arrival, interline desk will facilitate such transit visa. The airline provides a bus service for transfer to/from hotel layover transit passengers.
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA...baba-stopovers
Originally Posted by Braswch
Is this still the case? Will be transiting through ADD in a couple weeks. Separate tickets, but no checked bags is the plan. Coming in on ET 307 and then departing on TK 677. I do not have to get a stamp in the passport or go through immigration, correct? 4 of us in J for both flights.

Thanks!

PS. I find it weird, that the Kenya to ADD flight goes the the "international terminal" and then the ADD to Turkey Flight leaves from the "domestic" terminal. LOL
"Domestic" is the old name that the old terminal had, so people tend to still refer to it as such, but it comes complete with immigration services. Domestic flights do indeed depart and are processed from that building, but the gates are shared between Domestic and International flights. Select international destinations are served from this terminal.

Originally Posted by Dubkeano
I’m looking at a 75min connection from DUB-ADD-CPT in December, ET to ET (flight ET713 to ET847) - is it doable? Thanks
Doable.

Originally Posted by river_rower
Hi all- I am flying FRA ADD on ET with climbing gear. I then connect with another ET flight to JRO. My daughter is arriving into ADD on SV and joining me on the same ET flight. We are both on the same PNR for the connecting flight. I am assuming that we both need to clear customs and immigration, gather our bags, and recheck onto the connecting ET flight to JRO together. I am also assuming that we need e-visas to do this and avoid the immigration mess. Do I have this correct or is there an easier option. We have plenty of time- she has eight hours and I have five to make the connection.
If you have each bought two separate tickets into ADD and onto JRO, then you will need to claim your bags and then check in anew at ADD. Which means needing to go through immigration and customs. UNLESS at your points of embarkation, ET is able to send your bags through onto the next flight and issue boarding passes. Some airlines in the west won't do this for you anymore, would only process up to where the reservation you're embarking with takes you. I have made it a personal rule to never travel with separate tickets on a single journey for this reason (I can do separate one way and another the other way, but never two tickets to get to a destination.)

Originally Posted by Smiley90
How... doable is a 65min International-International ET-ET connection at ADD? Specifically this is ET846 to ET684 (not at all confusing with the near-identical flight number, I know) - CPT-ADD-PVG. This would be in J if that makes a difference for transfer (odds someone will be there to assist with the transit?)
Doable. The CPT flight, both leaving and returning into ADD is one fraught with tighter than usual connections. If you look at its history it does operate on time mostly.

Originally Posted by RainmanMumbai
Hi

​​​​​​Has anyone made a connection with only 50 minutes at Addis? Mumbai-Addis-Johannesburg? Both flights on ET on 1 ticket/ PNR. Sounds very very rushed but they are selling these connections.

Thanks!
They sell tickets with a minimum 45 min connection, which is doable. They have even boasted facilitating 20 minute connections, which I can see - sometimes they come fetch you at your aircraft door and transfer you across the tarmac to your aircraft.

If you have such connection, or any connection at ADD, always give yourself ample time to go through security where this applies. That's where your lineups will be, and boy have I had so many sweaty moments there.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:34 am

A recent update about me connecting in ADD: Seems that there is only one security before gates, meaning that you pass through it after arrival and then you can enjoy(?) waiting stress-free. The *A lounge is as shady as described here. However, i found the toilets relatively clean and i also found a nice touch that there was a chef(!) preparing omelets in the morning. Finding a seat was quite challenging though. I also found wifi to be working okay-ish (not high speed though). I boarded once via the *A/Business gate which is now A9 (the problem is that you get to the plane after most Y pax, so you might be looking for overhead bins space or asking pax. to move out of your window). On the way back i boarded via a bridge where there was clear signage for priority and groups 3/4/5. Overall, smooth experience.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by sdfamily
If I'm arriving on ET business class from Singapore and departing on ET economy class to JRO, will I have lounge access at ADD? (no other Star Alliance status)

Thanks!
I may have the same question, I just bid for an upgrade but only on the way to ADD while I will be departing on ET economy as well. Can you share your experience? Where you allowed in the lounge with you inbound business ticket?

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:27 am

You need to be in C in your departing flight. These are the rules for every program.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:55 am

Oh too bad, thank you for your answer!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I just did 2x a KQ to KQ connection - one time with a very delayed arriving KQ flight (but same plane goes back). I had an online check-in print out and upon arriving at ADD, walked fast to the international transfer (there does not seem to be anyone during that hour - after 1 am on both occasion) and just walked back up to the departure hall and went to my gate directly. (you have pass a security screening again).

For the 1st time - due to very late arrival, I was lucky that I was met by an agent responsible for KQ and I was the last pax to get boarded (every one was gone already - it was a bus gate - so as soon as we were dropped off, the bus took the incoming pax to the aircraft).
For the 2nd time - even though with a slight delay, but at a more leisure phase, I still managed to get on the same bus as the rest of the pax - though while being processed at the gate, my name was called on the announcement (although later, there were still 5 pax missing).

All in all - seems connection in ADD is doable on separate tickets - provided you can do online check-in and if possible a print out. (i guess if you don't have a print out at least for ET, you can get one of the agents to help).

On my second connection, I had about 15 mins before boarding time on my boarding pass (they started early boarding).
Cheers!
Thanks a lot for these useful infos!
What was the delay? At the end, did you have any checked-in luggage?
Too bad the great deal is gone , but I'm thinking of doing this risky back to back soon!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
About to take my first trip to Africa / Ethiopia / ADD all in one!

Couple of questions about the airport:
- will I be able to buy an iPhone sim upon arriving for data while in-country? Where should I go looking for this, and what price range?
- When departing, will I have access to a shower if I am *G and flying LH in Y?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Couple of questions about the airport:
- will I be able to buy an iPhone sim upon arriving for data while in-country? Where should I go looking for this, and what price range?
- When departing, will I have access to a shower if I am *G and flying LH in Y?
1) The guys in the arrivals tourist office will offer to sort one out for you for a fairly huge mark up. If you have the time, best is to go to an EthioTelecom shop yourself (there's only one network). There's one on the airport road after the Ramada.

2) Not as far as I know. The bathroom in the *G lounge is rather basic.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
EDITED - Newer posts didn't load properly, so I didn't see answers were already provided.

Since it seems to come up often, previous experiences with the ET online upgrade auction and lounge access at ADD can be found here: Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Last edited by b_magee; Feb 6, 2020 at 6:39 am Reason: Didn't realize there were newer posts.... appologies
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Direct turnaround at ADD with KQ?

I am landing on KQ400 from NBO to ADD (9:05 arrival) and would like to catch KQ401 from ADD to NBO (9:45am departure). Would that be feasible itinerary?

it would be separate tickets: arrival is in J from AMS via NBO, outbound Y from ADD to NBO using FB miles.

Since I am KL Plat I imagine KQ would be willing to check luggage all the way through AMS-NBO-ADD-NBO.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Since I am KL Plat I imagine KQ would be willing to check luggage all the way through AMS-NBO-ADD-NBO.
I'm not sure that would technically be possible, but please report back
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I can't see how they'd check your bags through, and I can't see how you'd have time to get a boarding pass for the ADD-NBO leg.

Better would be to secure a long layover at NBO, ask them to short check your luggage, get a transit visa, store your luggage with friends, beg them at Nairobi to issue your ex-ADD boarding pass. Or just fly on a later ex-ADD flight that gives you time to collect and recheck your luggage.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
The KQ check in agent at AMS can search Find Connection and the computer will be able to tag the baggage all the way back to NBO. I have done this before, although admittedly not with KQ.

I did consider the idea of a longer layover in ADD but the next KQ flight from ADF leaves 12 hours later. Not acceptable!

Can anyone answer my question of whether I can go from KQ arrival gate to KQ departure gate (same plane) at ADD without having to pass through controls etc?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Can anyone answer my question of whether I can go from KQ arrival gate to KQ departure gate (same plane) at ADD without having to pass through controls etc?
KQ parks remote at Addis, so you will be bussed to arrivals. You then have to go through health screening and transit security, and then back upstairs to departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.