Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by j_pp
We’ve thought about the in-terminal hotel - can you just show-up and make a reservation on the spot for this?
Yes, it is very rarely completely sold out.
j_pp likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:47 pm

Are they still offering the in terminal hotel for connecting passengers in Y?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kodalip
Are they still offering the in terminal hotel for connecting passengers in Y?
It has never been officially offered for anyone, but anecdotally when your voucher says "Skylight" you can try your luck there.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:34 pm

Getting closer to trip. Flight details have changed. Transfer time from VFA-ADD to ADD-ORD flight is now 1 hour. What should we expect with the short layover and flying to the USA? Assume there are additional checks at ADD before flying to USA and will not be brought straight from one plane to the other if needed. 2 people flying business and 2 people flying economy. Also assume different paths for business vs economy. Trying to figure out how rushed we will be to make the flight to ORD. Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by MichielR
Posting my recent experiences transiting ADD.

On the outbound, we arrived at 5am (among the first flights that arrived in the morning), there were no stairs ready so we waited 10 minutes. The business/C9 bus was filled to the rim with Y pax, probably maybe there were only 5 pax in C9. Transfer security was still opening up, a long queue and the C9/*G track wasn't open yet but a friendly ET staff member let me jump the queue anyway.

Plenty of space in the lounge at that time, but by 7:30 it was full. Same for my return, arriving at 7pm the lounge was mostly empty but by 8:30pm there was hardly an empty seat. On the return the stairs were ready and the business/C9 bus was actually just that for a full load of 24 C9 pax.

F&B was good, the bar was staffed and toilets were cleaned regularly. My only complaint would be the lack of sockets; the window seats where I sat have them in the floor but half didn't work.

Departure from A15 forced an extra security check because that's seems to be the gate area for US flights (A14-16) even if I wasn't going to the US. While there is a C9/*G track, it dumps you in the next queues for a very poorly signposted document check for the US flights, where, again, I wasn't flying to.

Boarding in groups 1-2-3 was well enforced, even if boarding on both outbound and inbound was delayed by 30 min without any announcement, meaning that pax had to sit/stand/queue for an additional 30 min.
I suspect you connected at ADD from/to Tel Aviv which uses the same gates as US, Canada and UK flights, with added security checks.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by ETStar
I suspect you connected at ADD from/to Tel Aviv which uses the same gates as US, Canada and UK flights, with added security checks.
As you say UK flights, this was the combined GVA/MAN flight. That might explain but then again the next time I took this flight it didn't have the additional security check.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MichielR

Plenty of space in the lounge at that time, but by 7:30 it was full. Same for my return, arriving at 7pm the lounge was mostly empty but by 8:30pm there was hardly an empty seat. On the return the stairs were ready and the business/C9 bus was actually just that for a full load of 24 C9 pax.
Is there any chance on getting a shower 7:30-10:20am connection, or is this peak time for the lounge?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Is there any chance on getting a shower 7:30-10:20am connection, or is this peak time for the lounge?
It's peak time, but the lounge empties out after about 9am. In any case, only a tiny fraction of passengers (mainly Americans) are using the showers anyway so there is rarely a line. No self respecting African passenger trusts an airport shower
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.