Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with ethiopian Birr (ETB) in Duty-Free in ADD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Pay with ethiopian Birr (ETB) in Duty-Free in ADD

Hallo

Can I pay with ethiopian Birr (ETB) in Duty-Free Shops in Addis Ababa (ADD) airport?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by anonimous
Hallo

Can I pay with ethiopian Birr (ETB) in Duty-Free Shops in Addis Ababa (ADD) airport?
Is this on arrival or on departure? I don't recall seeing ETB being used. Best to bring USD. You can hit the bank and exchange first.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

I mean on departure if some ETB are left.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have not been to Ethiopia myself but my Ethiopian friend says that he has only spent US dollars in the airport.

In any case, you are not allowed to bring out more than 200 birr from the country which won't buy you very much. If you take more than 200 birr out and it is discovered then it will be confiscated. According to the UK foreign office, imprisonment is possible if you are discovered bringing more than 200 birr *into* Ethiopia - which my friend is getting worried about because he has about 6000 birr in the UK...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Thx a lot, but ist it possible to pay everywhere in Ethiopia with USD directly, I mean in the small shops in Addis Ababa, outside airport area?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:18 am

No Birr accepted at Duty Free shops. They want USD cash and credit card machines are hit or miss as to whether they are working on any given day.

There is now a money changer airside (opposite the Cloud Nine Lounge entrance) who can presumably change your leftover Birr back to dollars.

Outside of the airport and tourist areas, Birr is a must.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
One shop recently let me do a combo payment of USD and birr, helping me get rid of my final couple hundred birr, but it's not something I would count on. I also accepted an unfavorable exchange rate on that birr, but for the small amount and to get rid of it, it didn't matter to me.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:03 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Actually the DF operators at the airport are under constant pressure to generate foreign currency for the country that it is easier for them to say they don't accept Birr - but they do and will. There remains a desperate shortage of Forex in the country.
Ill check the 200 Birr supposed limit in a couple of weeks but I have never had any issues with this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I've paid with Birr for a $200 watch, without any problems.

Last edited by anonimous; Jun 1, 2022 at 6:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.