Wiki Posts
Search

Zambia flights and luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Zambia flights and luggage

Is anyone familiar with flying between lodges in Zambia? My travel agent is telling me that the aircraft are smaller and require soft sided luggage. I am curious of others experience in this area.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

I was in Botswana in December and expect requirements are similar. We were restricted to soft sided luggage, no frames, no wheels, also a weight limit. The company used by our lodges had varying size planes. They each had varied places to stick luggage, and really needed to cram it in at times.

Our safari was part of a longer trip where I couldn't imagine getting by without my roller. We each took a soft sided case and packed it into a wheeler. We flew in and out of Maun in Botswana. This allowed the flight company to store our suitcase and return it to us when we came back from the game lodges.

Our safari lodges offered daily laundry so we really didn't need much while in camp.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Is anyone familiar with flying between lodges in Zambia? My travel agent is telling me that the aircraft are smaller and require soft sided luggage. I am curious of others experience in this area.

Thanks!
I haven't taken a flight within Zambia, but based on my (somewhat extensive) knowledge of taking flights and booking flights for clients between airstrips / lodges within Southern Africa, that would be very good advice.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd think along the lines of (slightly) oversized carry-on baggage, e.g. 22" soft shell suitcases or a carry-on sized duffel bag.

Alternatively, it may be helpful to have a look at the type of aircraft used. I'd be surprised if you'd be flying anything larger than a Cessna 208 Caravan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.