Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harare Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Harare Airport

Hi, I arrive into Harare on a Sunday morning and need to get myself a local sim ASAP. Do any of Zimbabwe's mobile providers have stores at the airport and if so, are open on a Sunday. Been told that shopping centres are all closed on a Sunday in Zimbabwe anyone have experience of this? Any advice regarding the possibility of getting it brought on Sunday or will it need to be left till the Monday?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
There are Telecel and NetOne desks in the arrivals area, just past customs, though the NeOne desk has ran out of SIMs last time I was there. NetOne has a 4G network in central Harare, while Telecel has a strong 3.5G network. Have a spare photocopy of your passport with you; they'll likely want to keep that. The airport is by far the most convenient place to by a SIM, but I don't know if those desks are open on Sunday.

More information... data is quite expensive at around USD 30 for 1Gb. If you use a lot, Telecel has daily deals, but bear in mind things like tethering and Netflix might be stolen from your real money balance (I got burned a few weeks back).
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:28 am

In my experience Econet is the widest network in Zim. There is a desk on right hand side as you leave the baggage hall. It is open most times (certainly open when the EK flight arrives late afternoon) but closes in the evening.

Data can be much cheaper than outlined above. There have been some issues with the regulator but I was there 2 weeks ago and paid $2 for a weekly bundle of either 100 or 120mb.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by simons1
In my experience Econet is the widest network in Zim. There is a desk on right hand side as you leave the baggage hall. It is open most times (certainly open when the EK flight arrives late afternoon) but closes in the evening.

Data can be much cheaper than outlined above. There have been some issues with the regulator but I was there 2 weeks ago and paid $2 for a weekly bundle of either 100 or 120mb.
The daily and weekly bundles are better value for money, but I noted with Telecel that what you could spend the data balance on was limited. For example, I watched a little NetFlix with my phone; the data balance remained the same, but the money balance reduced to zero. I didn't spot the Econet desk when I arrived; they have the strongest 4G network. My networks in order of preference:

- Econet (best 4G)
- Telecel (reliable 3.5G)
- NetOne (erm, fine when it works).

I like to take a dual sim phone with me and have two of the above.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:49 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Internaut

More information... data is quite expensive at around USD 30 for 1Gb. If you use a lot, Telecel has daily deals, but bear in mind things like tethering and Netflix might be stolen from your real money balance (I got burned a few weeks back).
This happened to me 3 weeks or so ago, Telecel are investigating supposedly but Im not holding my breath on this one, luckily it wasn't a huge amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.