Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kruger, Zimbabwe/Zambia, or East Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson

Hi all,

I am planning a trip for August 2017 and have read a lot online and here.

I've never been to Africa - and all I know is that I want to visit Cape Town, the Winelands, and do a safari in about 14 days.

I have spoken to a few different travel agents and am getting mixed reviews - some say Zambabwe/Zambia offer more 'value' (aka less expensive) but are not as expansive as East Africa and the game is not as good. Other say Z/Z are amazing experiences. I haven't even considered Kruger.

I have a moderate budget (4-500 USD per person per day). I would love to do it for less, but am also open to increasing it if there is real value to be had in East Africa or Kruger.

I'd love to get opinions from you about Z/Z vs. East Africa vs. Kruger.

Many many thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi BostonFlyer1624!

I'm in Boston too!

First of all, you are planning well in advance which is key. The earlier you book, the more choices you will have and especially if you have a specific budget in mind or style of travel you prefer, planning on the earlier side is better.

Of the countries you mentioned, there is no better value right now than South Africa. The Rand is still at a historic low. This means that your travel dollars will stretch which ultimately means anything from extending your stays, upgrading your lodging, adding incredible activities, etc etc. Lodges and hotels book in Rand and, as compared to other Southern Africa countries right now, you can't beat the value in comparison.

For South Africa, the best game viewing would be in the Greater Kruger area which includes Kruger National Park as well as the abutting private reserves like Sabi Sand, Timbavati, Manyeleti and some others. With a fenceless border between the two, the animals roam freely. Sabi Sand is well known for its incredible leopard sightings! You would have many options for lodges that meet your budget. Lodges all have different styles and some cater well to families, some to honeymooners, etc etc. Depending upon who you are traveling with and your specific needs, targeting the right lodges at your price point is key.

Adding Cape Town and optionally some time in the Winelands would make for a wonderful and well-balanced trip. The waterfront in Cape Town is great. And with Table Mountain and two massive oceans converging, it truly is a sight to be seen. Don't miss the penguins and a trip to Cape of Good Hope. Robben's Island is a nice visit (easy ferry ride) and a great way to learn more about apartheid and freedom fighting. You can see Nelson Mandela's cell where he was imprisoned 18 years. There is so much even more to speak of for the area!!! The Winelands are a mere 45 to 1 hour by car. I have always found them to be prettier than our Napa region in CA. The mountains are beautiful, restaurants are divine, and the wine superb plus cheap! There are so many lovely guesthouses or inns to speak of. Plus there's a wine train that you can HOHO!

Many clients start in Cape Town (optionally add the Winelands) for 3-5 nights then fly into the reserve and stay 4-6 nights. If you can do 6 nights, it's great to split the time between 2 lodges with an easy transfer between the two. Lodges have different feels and styles plus many find it enjoyable to try a luxury tented camp too.

Let me know if I can help! It's the most amazing trip you will ever go on!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi BostonFlyer1684,

You have a tough choice to make since almost all of Africa’s wildlife countries are in peak of peak season in August! You really can’t go wrong in any region that you choose. The great migrations are taking place on the Mara in Kenya. Southern Africa is late into the dry season which means animal viewing is at its best. Also, for Southern Africa, August is the mildest month of the year weather wise with cool mornings, warm & sunny days with highs in the 70s thereabouts. Zambia could be a touch warmer.

I have been to Africa over 35 times. I have also been to every upscale safari lodge in Zambia and Zimbabwe except for ones that have opened in the past 24 months like Anabezi, Linkwasha, Chinzombo, etc. I have been to the exact place where these lodges now sit; they just did not exist. Anabezi, for example, is on the old Kulefu site. I have been to over 100 other lodges in Kenya and South Africa but keep in mind these two countries have hundreds of choices!

Your budget is ok and you may need to get a little bit creative but I think you can stick to roughly $500 per person per day on the safari if you go to Southern Africa. With Park Fees etc. the prices in Kenya may be a little higher than you want. My go-to properties in the Mara ecosystem for budget conscious clients are Spekes Camp, Encounter Mara, and Offbeat Mara. All are over your budget in August which, again, is peak of peak season. You would also want to add a second and possibly third destination in Kenya and ones that I would recommend are all going to be just over your threshold.

On top of the budget concern, combining Cape Town and East Africa on a 14 day trip can be a bit hard logistically. You will definitely have a forced overnight in Nairobi on arrival if you go to Cape Town first. It is possible to wake-up at a safari lodge in Kenya and be in Cape Town that night but you will arrive at midnight roughly. The flight from Nairobi leaves at 330pm and you change planes in Johannesburg. You can wake-up in Cape Town and be on safari in South Africa that afternoon or the other way around. You can get to most safari lodges in Zimbabwe in one day from Cape Town as well. For Zambia, it is better to start in Zambia and go from there to Cape Town to avoid unnecessary overnights on the way.

Here is what I suggest you researching as possible options. Both of these options are mostly within South Africa and you can take advantage of the week Rand if it is still weak when you make final payment next year.

Day 1 - Land Jo’burg and overnight at City Lodge OR Tambo. It is under $100/night for a room and right at the airport.
Day 2 – Fly 45 minutes on SAA to Hoedspruit. From there, transfer by road 1 hour to the Timbavati game reserve and stay at Shindzela, Kambaku River Sands, or possible Honeyguide (in the Manyaleti). All are in your budget range. All are on private land adjacent to the Kruger National Park with no fence between the private land and the park. All offer great odds of seeing the big five each day or at least on a three night stay!
Day 3 & 4 - Kruger safari.

**Option 1 for the second safari**
Day 5 – from the Kruger, there is a company called Copper Tours that will take you by road about six hours to Mashatu Private Game reserve. Their main camp is $510 per person per night. Their tented camp is less. Organizations like National Geographic and the Smithsonian use Mashatu on their itineraries. Mashatu is on the eastern fringes of the Kalahari and technically in Botswana but on the South Africa border. You will get really nice diversity in flora and fauna and landscape at Mashatu compared to the Kruger ecosystem.
Day 6 & 7 – Mashatu safari.
Day 8 – road transfer 2 hours to Polokwane and fly PTG-JNB-Cape Town/CPT.

**Option 2 for the second safari**
Day 5 – from the Kruger, you can fly Fedair to the Madikwe Game reserve with a quick plane change in Joburg. This reserve is in South Africa on the Botswana border. It is also on the eastern fringes of the Kalahari. I have been on safari here in late July and it was exceptional. There is a luxury safari lodge called Makanyane that just changed ownership. For the past two years it has been under-marketed in the core markets like the US. A company called Sanctuary has taken it over and they are offering a REALLY low introductory rate through Aug 31, 2017 while they come back into the market. On Sep 1, 2017 the price more than doubles. I think it is roughly $300 per person per night. This property will deliver exceptional value for money and Madikwe is a big five reserve.
Day 6 & 7 – Madikwe safari.
Day 8 – fly Fedair at 1pm back to Jo’burg and take a 330pm commercial flight to Cape Town.

Day 9-14. I suggest 2 nights in the wine country and 4 in the city. Here are some suggestions in your price range with rough rates for 2016 (I realize you want to go in 2017).

Cape Town – check out Welgelegen Guest House, Four Rosmead or Portswood.

Wine Country – Check out Franschhoeak Country house in Franschhoeak. Or check out Mejeka in Stellenbosh.

As far as Zambia and Zimbabwe goes, accommodations in Zimbabwe can be cheaper but transport to the more remote parks like Matusadona and Mana Pools has to be by small plane and it can break a smaller budget. You could do a safari just within Hwange at places like the Hide and Camp Hwange with a road transfer between the two. This combination would give you a good bit of diversity but no water features and Hwange is all dry land with water holes. There is a company called Driving You Wild that can connect Masahtu (mentioned before) with Amalinda and Khulu Ivory. Khulu is a private concession adjacent to Hwange and VERY good value for money.

Zambia has some properties that will be close to your budget. Your best bet would be to spend at least 3 days in South Luangwa (5 or 6 is better) and then 3+ days in Lower Zambezi. You could check out Flat Dogs in South Luangwa. It is JUST outside the Park. Kasaka is also JUST outside Lower Zambezi. So, both are good value for money. Being near the main entrance, the game drives areas will have a higher vehicle density.

A few years back I wrote an EXHAUSTIVE post on Zambia and Zimbabwe. Here it is if you want to take a read of it now: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...countries.html

I will pump up the post above so you can find it when you log back in.

You can have a complete and fully satisfying safari in any one of the countries I mentioned so there is no need to combine multiple countries on a safari of 6-7 nights in length to get a really good experience. I promise you will be back.

This should be enough to get you started!

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
A little OT, what about adding Namibia?

I am doing the Mara right at the Tanzanian border the first week of October this year. Truly hoping that it will not be too late to see the largest of the herd migration. I've been on several 1 to 2 day "outings" while in South Africa but never on a true Safari. This will be five days in the Mara and I'm hoping that between our location and the guides I will feel fulfilled.

Since this is my first Safari Camp stay I wanted to keep the duration to a relative minimum. Not so much the cost but I use a wheelchair and want to make sure my body can take it!

My real desire for my next big journey down south is to see most of Namibia including the skeleton coast, Kalahari red desert, and have heard that the Chobe Park is really wonderful (Have mainly heard about the giant herds of elephants, is there much more that I missing?) and working Northeast to the Botswana border provides endless opportunities (Would crossing Namibia and Botswana and heading all the way up to Victoria falls on the same trip be even totally crazy to think of?). I also would like to combine a trip through Namibia with a trip back to Cape Town, or even Durban where I have not been. To really see what I want from the coast in Namibia up into the Botswana border and my really looking at a 10 day journey?

Sorry to be a little OT, thanks for your input!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:43 pm

I'm also planning to visit in Aug 2017. I was torn between then or late Jan 2018 to take advantage of the Cape Town beaches. I've found it tough to find mid-level accommodation; everything seems to be either self-driving/self-catering in Kruger or super high-end. I'll check out some of the recommendations. Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rollthere
To really see what I want from the coast in Namibia up into the Botswana border and my really looking at a 10 day journey?
Namibia is a vast country, about the same size as New Mexico. Do not underestimate distances. The road infrastructure is pretty good though, certainly by African standards. Nevertheless, I would allow at least three weeks for Namibia itself, and no less than two for the northern part (Skeleton Coast in the west to the Caprivi in the east).

Lodge hopping by plane is a way to save time, but not cheap.

Johan
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by maal99
I'm also planning to visit in Aug 2017. I was torn between then or late Jan 2018 to take advantage of the Cape Town beaches. I've found it tough to find mid-level accommodation; everything seems to be either self-driving/self-catering in Kruger or super high-end. I'll check out some of the recommendations. Good luck!
You might consider booking one of the Kruger wilderness trails. You will be driven around and catered for, stay in a small camp, and the walking is not strenuous but exciting. We did Olifants recently and it was outstanding. August is a perfect time for it.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yhm71
You might consider booking one of the Kruger wilderness trails.
Best done well in advance, they are very popular.

Within Kruger you also get the private Plains Camp just north of Skukuza, and Pafuri Walking Trails in the far north. At former you can book any number of nights, so you are not limited to a set 3-day trail itinerary.

Yes, August is a great time for walking in the bush.

Johan
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
We did Krueger / Sabi sands in July and loved it..
Thinking about Tanzania ( grumeti area) in late May of 2017. Any thoughts on how the viewing will be?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never been there in May, but the game viewing in the Grumeti sector is good year round, even when the migration is nowhere near.

Might be worth bearing in mind that the Grumeti area looks nothing like the iconic short-grass plains fo the southeastern Serengeti / NCA / Ndutu.

Joan
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Never been there in May, but the game viewing in the Grumeti sector is good year round, even when the migration is nowhere near.

Might be worth bearing in mind that the Grumeti area looks nothing like the iconic short-grass plains fo the southeastern Serengeti / NCA / Ndutu.

Joan

I've been on safari's in Zim, Zambia, SA, Tanz, and Kenya. SA seems to fit your bill the best. A couple of TA have responded, get a couple of quotes and compare.

Frankly, the sarengetti was a let down for us. Kruger was like a safari in Disneyland. Animals seemed almost tame.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Animals seemed almost tame.
In parts of Kruger they are habituated to vehicles, which is not the same thing as being tame. Off the beaten track they behave quite differently.

Johan
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
We just returned from 7 nights in South Africa and stayed at Nyati. I can't recommend it enough! Currently it is only marketed to the Norwegian countries, mostly Danish. In fact, we were the first Americans anyone there had ever seen at the camp and there were people that were working for 6+ years there.
It is a great way to introduce yourself to safaris and to the people. We had some wonderful guides, and got to go into town and meet the locals, as well as spend a day in Kruger.
They are on a private game reserve, and their lodges sit right on the Olifants river...it is simply spectacular!
Let me know if you want more information!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
the Norwegian countries, mostly Danish!
Norway used to be part of Denmark, but that was a while ago!

Nyati Safari Lodge should not be confused with Inyati Game Lodge in the Sabi Sand, by the way. The former is not really a private game lodge in the traditional sense, i.e. they do not offer game drives in the area around the lodge itself. I suspect they don't have the traversing required. The lodge sits on the north bank of the Olifants, lots of other lodges and private residences on that side. The area is west of the Olifants North Game Reserve and north of the Olifants West Game Reserve (really!), and wedged between the river and the R40 provincial road. Game densities are lower than south of the river. As far as I can tell, Nyati is on a farm called Parsons, which forms the Parsons Nature Reserve.

Tshukudu,where Nyati does B5 game drives, is notorious for its canned lions.

Johan
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Norway used to be part of Denmark, but that was a while ago!

Nyati Safari Lodge should not be confused with Inyati Game Lodge in the Sabi Sand, by the way. The former is not really a private game lodge in the traditional sense, i.e. they do not offer game drives in the area around the lodge itself. I suspect they don't have the traversing required. The lodge sits on the north bank of the Olifants, lots of other lodges and private residences on that side. The area is west of the Olifants North Game Reserve and north of the Olifants West Game Reserve (really!), and wedged between the river and the R40 provincial road. Game densities are lower than south of the river. As far as I can tell, Nyati is on a farm called Parsons, which forms the Parsons Nature Reserve.

Tshukudu,where Nyati does B5 game drives, is notorious for its canned lions.

Johan
Ha! meant to say Scandanavian...must still be jet lagged! :-)

Yeah, we did do Tshukudu, and the whole thing felt very manufactured. Parsons is actually the lodge next door...they are on a game reserve together, and I believe the name of the reserve is Marseke or Mareske...name escapes me right now. They have 4 of the big 5 on the property...unfortunately, their Rhino's got poached a few years back and the security costs were too high to try and bring back more of them. We didn't see the Lions on their property, but heard them several times. We able to see the Lions at Tshukudu and a huge pride in Kruger.

I know this is not the experts safari place, but as a first run at it with two boys 10 & 11 and my in-laws who are in their mid 70's, it was ideal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.