Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit cards for gas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Credit cards for gas?

I was just looking at hiring a car in South Africa. On the hire website in capital block letters it states you can NOT buy gas with a credit card in South Africa. I don't remember that being the case last year when we rented a car. Is this new or just incorrect information. I am not looking to carry a bunch of Rand around and home with me.

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Jun 24, 2016 at 3:58 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I heard that too, but I asked many South Africans who said that debit cards are fine and others who said credit and debit cards are fine.

The main issue is South Africa has pump attendants who are used to taking cash from you and bringing you the change. This could be where it's coming from.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I paid for gas with a credit card outside JNB 2 days ago and the pump attendant simply brought the credit card terminal outside to run my card.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
After my hotel booking 'card skimming' experience, after an on-line booking, I'm paying cash wherever possible!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I suspect that car hire web site is out of date. It used to be that you could only use a special "garage card" to buy petrol. This was to circumvent some crazy law. That law has been scrapped/changed. I have paid for my petrol exclusively with a credit card for several years now.

The procedure is for the attendant to bring the machine to you at your car so I presume skimming is not likely.

By the way a lot of petrol stations, especially the larger ones with convenience stores on site, have ATMs on the premises. I'm not sure if this is a hangover from the days when you had to pay with cash or a garage card - but it does offer another option should you prefer it.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:23 am

I believe that Cheetah is right; there was a now-defunct law that prevented CC use. Credit seems to be widely accepted today. I had no issues charging several fill-ups a year ago.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Thought the info was probably out of date but puts my mind at ease

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.