Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving to Kruger from JNB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Driving to Kruger from JNB

Anyone have experience doing a self-guided drive in Kruger with your own car?

I'm arriving at JNB around 7am from DOH and renting a car to go to Kruger.
Going to take my sweet time getting there and planning on staying a night outside the park before going in. I was wondering which gate to enter Kruger in and whats the optimal route. I'm intending to stay 3-4nights in Kruger before going off to CPT.

Thanks in advance!

PS I'm arriving mid October, Malaria shouldn't be a problem right..?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Depending on how well you sleep on overnight flights and given the potential to get in a game drive at Kruger same day, I would seriously consider flying JNB to one of Skukuza, Hoedspruit or Nelspruit. You can get a mid-morning flight that leaves you enough time to grab supplies in a town and get to your accommodation at game drive speed before the camp gates close.

Accommodation availability and what you are happy with (shared bathroom or ensuite / self-cater or restaurant) will dictate your route options. The most sought after accommodation is booked. Any of the southern or central gates and accommodation will give you a good experience, provided you read Johan's sticky on this forum and leave as soon as the gates open each morning. I would also recommend not moving around too much, partly so you can have a midday siesta and partly because travel takes a lot longer than you think. For 4 nights, consider just 1 or 2 rest camps with a maximum 100km between them.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I last did this (at the end of February), I left JNB at 10 a.m. and reached Malelane Gate in plenty of time for a game drive to Crocodile Bridge. This in spite of a detour via Kaapschehoop (weird place!) and stopping to shop in Nelspruit.

Easily doable, in other words, and no need to spend a night en route unless you are planning a slow and scenic drive.

If you are heading straight to Kruger from JNB then Malelane is your obvious choice. Otherwise it will depend on which route to the park you plan to take.

Forget about malaria. Nothing to worry about.

Johan
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
If you are landing at 7 am, then get your rental, get onto the N4 and stop here for a late breakfast and stretch your legs: https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowUs...pumalanga.html

This is Milly's Trout Farm, close to Machadadorp on the N4. It will be on your left and will have a huge filling station sign (Caltex).

Also, once in Nelspruit, as you enter the town, there is a shopping centre with a SuperSpar - great place to stock up on groceries. I have on occasion, seen the odd chef from surrounding game lodges buying from them, so it must be good.
Regarding the Kruger: sometimes I have been without seeing much in a single day, and other days a short drive takes several hours due to the amount of animals. It really is potluck, so whether you go into the central area or the south, it just depends on the day.

Enjoy, and take it slowly.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:57 am
Community Director Emerita

We spent one night at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate before entering the park on our last trip.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:02 am

Good advice above above not trying to cover so much inside Kruger. Travel is slow, which is part of the point.

Making it to Malelane and staying just inside the park (i.e. Croc Bridge) on the day of arrival is very doable; I've done it. With only 3-4 nights, I'd suggest just getting there and maximizing time in Kruger.

Last edited by jacped; Apr 26, 2016 at 3:10 am
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
We stayed at the Pestana Kruger Lodge just outside the gates, and then drove north, and left the park near Skukuza after 4 nights.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys appreciate the tips. Going to stop at nelspruit for supplies before heading in. I'm wondering if I should buy a tent to really "experience" a safari haha.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just book one of the safari tents that are available at most KNP rest camps.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.