Morocco Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Morocco Trip

I'll be heading to Morocco in a few days with some friends. I read some threads on FT and I got a feel of what I should see.

Right now we fly in and out of RAK. We arrive sun afternoon into RAK and we are in Marrakesh Sun - Wed. Wed - Sat is Casablanca (I know most of you would say that's too long in Casablanca and in hindsight I wouldn't have booked it, but I had hotel vouchers I needed to use and the Hyatt there was the only choice). So we were thinking of arriving sometime late in the evening Wed to Casablanca and leave Sat morning back to RAK to catch our flight.

Thus we have:
Sun afternoon - Marrakesh
Mon - Marrakesh
Tues - Marrakesh
Wed - Marrakesh/Casablanca (night)
Thurs - Casablanca
Fri - Casablanca
Sat - back to RAK

With that much time, I was thinking of spending 2 days site-seeing Marrakesh and the 3rd day some day trip around the area. And with Casablanca, one day for the city and one day some site-seeing tour (maybe Rabat?) Thoughts?

And in regards to transportation, I'm not sure if we should rent a car or take train and private drivers/cabs. The car would be cheaper overall and that can let us spend a driving around (maybe up to the mountains?) but the train and cabs would be less stressful. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Definitely too long in Casablanca, IMHO.

Moroccan roads between major cities are generally well maintained. Presuming someone in your group is comfortable driving with manual shift transmission and you have at least one French speaker, don't hesitate to rent a car and drive. That said, you might want to find a car rental company on the outskirts of Casablanca -- the traffic there is horrendous and I wouldn't wish driving in the city on my worst enemy.

Moroccan trains are fine. I know you said that a car and driver might be less stressful, but cabs are my least favorite mode of transportation in Morocco. Unless you have a recommendation for a great car service, you may find yourself wondering whether the cab ever had shock absorbers and springs in the seat cushions.

I think Rabat (and Sale) would be an excellent day trip destination.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Definitely too long in Casablanca, IMHO.

Moroccan roads between major cities are generally well maintained. Presuming someone in your group is comfortable driving with manual shift transmission and you have at least one French speaker, don't hesitate to rent a car and drive. That said, you might want to find a car rental company on the outskirts of Casablanca -- the traffic there is horrendous and I wouldn't wish driving in the city on my worst enemy.

Moroccan trains are fine. I know you said that a car and driver might be less stressful, but cabs are my least favorite mode of transportation in Morocco. Unless you have a recommendation for a great car service, you may find yourself wondering whether the cab ever had shock absorbers and springs in the seat cushions.

I think Rabat (and Sale) would be an excellent day trip destination.
Thanks. Actually, one of us does speak French, and we can always rent a automatic (though there is one in the group that knows how to drive manual)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
Thanks. Actually, one of us does speak French, and we can always rent a automatic (though there is one in the group that knows how to drive manual)
French really is essential. And good point...for $$$ you can always find an automatic transmission, but manual is much more common.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
French really is essential. And good point...for $$$ you can always find an automatic transmission, but manual is much more common.
Yeah. But this way we have 2 drivers. Plus the price wasn't much more - about $50 more for the 6 days at sixt.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:34 pm

Yeah. But this way we have 2 drivers. Plus the price wasn't much more - about $50 more for the 6 days at sixt.
That's not bad at all.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Where's good (unfussy rather than haute) these days to eat in RAK? We'll be staying at the sofi.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by chasingtheblue
Where's good (unfussy rather than haute) these days to eat in RAK? We'll be staying at the sofi.
I assume you want to eat in the city and not at the airport

We enjoyed Nomad and Al Fassia in September.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: tourism
Morocco has magic and beauty waterfalls such as Ouzoud and between the valleys bridges
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:52 pm

Hi everyone. Slightly off-topic but I am myself planning a very brief trip to Morocco. I fly into Casablanca on a Friday morning and am leaving Sunday afternoon out of Casablanca. I'd like to spend all that time in Marrakech. I'm not worried about getting a train down from Casablanca but am worried about making my flight out of Morocco on the Sunday.

What time is ok to get to CMN for an international check-in. My train says it will arrive at the airport station at 11:45AM. My flight is at 2:40PM. Is that enough time? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jdhnyc
Hi everyone. Slightly off-topic but I am myself planning a very brief trip to Morocco. I fly into Casablanca on a Friday morning and am leaving Sunday afternoon out of Casablanca. I'd like to spend all that time in Marrakech. I'm not worried about getting a train down from Casablanca but am worried about making my flight out of Morocco on the Sunday.

What time is ok to get to CMN for an international check-in. My train says it will arrive at the airport station at 11:45AM. My flight is at 2:40PM. Is that enough time? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I've never transferred from the airport station to the airport, so can't weigh in there, but do read today's New York Times article What to Do for 36 Hours in Marrakech.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdhnyc

It's a short walk from train to check in. CMN isn't super efficient but you probably have an hours contingency, more if travelling in a premium class of holding elite status.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be heading to Morocco in a few days with some friends. I read some threads on FT and I got a feel of what I should see.

Right now we fly in and out of RAK. We arrive sun afternoon into RAK and we are in Marrakesh Sun - Wed. Wed - Sat is Casablanca (I know most of you would say that's too long in Casablanca and in hindsight I wouldn't have booked it, but I had hotel vouchers I needed to use and the Hyatt there was the only choice). So we were thinking of arriving sometime late in the evening Wed to Casablanca and leave Sat morning back to RAK to catch our flight.

Thus we have:
Sun afternoon - Marrakesh
Mon - Marrakesh
Tues - Marrakesh
Wed - Marrakesh/Casablanca (night)
Thurs - Casablanca
Fri - Casablanca
Sat - back to RAK

With that much time, I was thinking of spending 2 days site-seeing Marrakesh and the 3rd day some day trip around the area. And with Casablanca, one day for the city and one day some site-seeing tour (maybe Rabat?) Thoughts?

And in regards to transportation, I'm not sure if we should rent a car or take train and private drivers/cabs. The car would be cheaper overall and that can let us spend a driving around (maybe up to the mountains?) but the train and cabs would be less stressful. Thoughts?

Thanks
I don't know if this fits into your budget but have you considered going through a tour company where they provide a driver for your trip? I just did that in December...we had a big and comfy Toyota Land Cruiser or something and a very, very competent driver who knew all the tricks of getting around. We were free to look out the window (without stress) at the beautiful scenery and our driver was good at pointing out or stopping at points of interest.
The mountain roads can be very windy and for the most part are only one lane in each direction.
I think a day trip from Casablanca to Rabat is definitely a must.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:48 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I am feeling more confident about the train but will also look into the tour company/car hire option.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm doing my Morocco trip in April, flying into Casablanca and catching the train to Marrakesh for three nights, then back to Cass for one night.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated - do and see, don't do and see, avoid, stay etc.

Are decent leather tailors to be found in Marrakesh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.