Reload this Page >

biometrics capture at immigration - post to record progress of roll-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

biometrics capture at immigration - post to record progress of roll-out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:32 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Flew into JNB from DAR yesterday and no biometric capture. Immigration were more worried I "only" had 2 unused pages in my passport.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:21 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
No biometric capture on 2nd August in either CPT or JNB on that day - plenty of signs up advising usage though!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:27 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
nadda on the biometrics both ways in and out of jnb last week

but that awesome immigration guy who jumps between 2 computers thereby allowing him to process pax like a boss was present both ways.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
awesome immigration guy.
Bionic instead of biometric. Way to go.

Johan
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"A shortage of officials to man the immigration desks at OR Tambo International Airport is continuing to cause delays more than two months after the capturing of biometric data was rolled out at the airport.

“I am aware that under these constraints, the officials at the airport are trying their best to speed up the processing of visitors and immigration management / supervisors at the airport are also stepping in to process passengers,” said Chris Zweigenthal, Chief Executive of Airlines Association of Southern Africa.. “Where significant backups and queues exist, they dispense with the collection of biometrics and process passengers accordingly.
"

Source

Johan
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Went through terminal A this evening. Checked in at KLM at 7PM, got out of Immigration just after 8. There were a total of 4, yes, 4 officers on duty. That is out of around 18 counters.
At one stage they needed to close the security checks because of the number of people in the queue.
They need to get this sorted out.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Went through terminal A this evening. Checked in at KLM at 7PM, got out of Immigration just after 8. There were a total of 4, yes, 4 officers on duty. That is out of around 18 counters.
At one stage they needed to close the security checks because of the number of people in the queue.
They need to get this sorted out.
How dreadful - commiserations! Which entrance did you use?

I've experienced this once a few years back - and since it hasn't happened to me again I hoped it was a thing of the past. After it happened, the next few times I went through I scurried back and forth between the two security points trying to judge the length of the queues. On some occasions the entrance furthest from the domestic terminal was heavily congested even when the other entrance was flowing freely.

Now I just use the entrance closer to the domestic terminal (even though that was where I had that one terrible experience). But I do check out the queues through the glass before I enter.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:39 pm

Tourism Update has, well, an update.
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...t-land-borders

And, it seems that Tour operators are complaining, as well
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...ss-at-OR-Tambo

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Oct 7, 2016 at 8:56 am Reason: Edited to Add - another update.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Tourism Update has, well, an update.
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...t-land-borders

And, it seems that Tour operators are complaining, as well
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...ss-at-OR-Tambo
And I just picked this up from an Av Forum:
South Africa’s immigration authorities have warned airlines that the queuing chaos at OR Tambo may well get worse.

Treasury’s focus on cutting government expenditure means there are no plans to increase the number of staff who are now required to also collect biometric data. The Department of Home Affairs has also now had to cut transporting staff to the airport to reduce costs and this is expected to exacerbate the situation.

South African travellers departing the country are now also affected as there is no separation of foreign and SA passport holders on departure.

A leading travel industry figure, Wally Gaynor, MD of Club Travel said he had just had “a most horrific experience” where it took 45 minutes to get through security because there was no space for people to stand on the other side of security. Once his hand luggage was scanned there was no room to move forward anymore.

David Frost, CEO of Satsa, has called on Home Affairs to only capture biometrics of people entering the country if they require a visa and did not apply in person. He said that until DHA had sufficient staff, they should not be capturing the biometrics of every foreigner using the airports.

Although the DHA spokesman has said the capture of biometrics is being done for security purposes, government tourism statistics show that 79% of the foreign travellers in July crossed SA’s land borders, where there is no collection of biometric data.

Airlines have had to accommodate passengers in hotels who have missed flights as a result of the delays at OR Tambo International Airport.

June Crawford, Chief Executive of Barsa said that, aside from the inconvenience to passengers because of the disruption caused by the long queues and waiting times, the airlines were bearing the cost of the current congestion. “African and international airlines delivering passengers to South Africa, in some instances, are having to put their passengers into hotels overnight, although they are not required to do so,” said Crawford. She said passengers had taken up to three hours to clear immigration.

Michi Messner, Regional Manager Africa for Qantas, said they had only had delays from last week where customers were missing their domestic connection flights. “At the moment we are covering the costs for the customers, however we may change that should the situation worsen,” said Messner. They have had to rebook customers on a later connection on a daily basis.

Comair told Tourism Update that it was aware of the delays experienced by customers travelling internationally into and out of OR Tambo International Airport. “We’re assisting customers who miss their connections by rebooking them on later flights or providing accommodation where necessary,” said Susan Van Der Ryst, Corporate Communications Manager at Comair. “The impact of this on our business is yet to be established but we’re participating in the task team that’s working to address the situation and in ongoing contact with all stakeholders.”

A member of the industry, who preferred to remain anonymous, told Tourism Update, that they had received complaints from customers, which had affected South Africa’s tourism brand. “We’ve had comment from customers saying that if they knew this was how the immigration situation was here in South Africa, they would’ve chosen the alternative destination that they had in mind,” said the source.

“It has been necessary for baggage to be taken off the belts to make room for the next flights so the collection of baggage is also disrupted,” added Crawford.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:18 am

Arrived to CPT and left from JNB last week - no biometrics captured.
JNB security + immigration (entrance next to the checkin counters) at around 5PM took about 20 minutes, I think about 10 of the immigration desks were open.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm hoping CPT is better organised. Our first trip to ZA, so understandably a bit nervous.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Arrived on BA57 last week which arrived a little late and right in the middle of the Frankfurt, Zurich and Doha flights. Needless to say that immigration was full to the point where people were backing up on to the escalators. There was no effort to skip biometrics but once the SA passport holders we processed they allowed those in the middle queue to go to those desks, some of which do not have the fingerprint readers. I was processed at such a desk and was probably though in just over an hour - not great.

On the way out the queues right behind check-in were immense so I took a walk round to the other checkpoint towards the domestic side and was in the lounge 5 minutes later. YMMV.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew in last night. Aircraft at gate 22h13,I was in the baggage hall at 22h34. This despite a distant gate, a delay connecting the jetway, and some 60 or 70 pax from another flight ahead of me at immigrations.

No biometrics capture, eight desks open, followed by another five or six once the SA nationals were dealt with. I'm also a fast walker and know my way around ORTIA, so I was the third person off my flight at immigrations.

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:30 pm

A Temporary Solution

Per Tourism Update
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...s-for-OR-Tambo

Ninety-two additional staff will be deployed at OR Tambo International Airport from December 9 to January 14. Malusi Gigaba, Minister of Home Affairs, announced that the additional staff would ensure that all workstations were at 100% capacity, with all cubicles utilised to process passengers.

Funding for the additional staff came from within the department following a reprioritisation process, says the Minister. Although the DHA budgets for the high volumes of travellers during the festive and Easter seasons, the Minister says the budget is not sufficient. “We would wish, on a sustainable basis throughout the year, to increase our capacity at these ports of entry so that we can provide an enjoyable experience for travellers.”

He says the additional staff will be incorporated into a new structure of two shifts a day, which will overlap the shifts of current staff during peak periods. The first shift runs from 06h00 until 11h00, and the second shift from 16h00 until 20h00.

The Minister stresses that this is a temporary solution. “We will require a sustainable solution that appreciates that efficiency, through optimal staff capacity, needs to extend beyond the festive season.”

The DHA is also in discussions with Acsa about rearranging counters to separate South Africans, who do not need to have fingerprints taken, from foreign nationals.

------
One side issue (for me, at least) is that my family is all SAfrican and I am not (I'm a "foreign national"). I always just join them in the SA nationals line and the officer processes me along with them. I'm hoping I can still do this rather than have to separate from my family and go to the foreign nationals line as (1) I've always perceived the SA line to be "faster" and (2) I've got small kids and it's helpful for me to stick with Mrs. jsnydcsa and the kids to wrangle them thru the SA line rather than letting Mrs. jsnydcsa handle the whole lot on her own.

------
And, on a completely unrelated issue (flame retardant ready...), why is it the "festive" season? I know we have a lot of holidays nowadays and am totally cool with that. Why not just call it the "holiday" season? You've go builders holidays, Christmas holiday, New Years holiday, Hanukkah, Festivus, Day of Reconcilaition, etc. They're all holidays. Despite 2-ish decades of dating, married to and SAfrican and traveling there, I cannot understand why we call the spring-ish holiday "Easter" and yet call December the festive season. Not saying we have to go full on creche/Christmas but festive just sounds weird. It's a lot of holidays. Call it the holidays or the holiday season. No offenses to any faith or non-faith. Just a bunch of holidays.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Dec 8, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew out again last weekend. Only one person ahead of me at immigrations. No biometrics. It was so quiet that I took the opportunity to chat with the two immigrations agents on duty, who both agreed that this whole biometrics thing was a total disaster. They wished that it would simply vanish, never to return.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.