Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safaris near Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowside67
The good news is that all hotels in the Sabi Sand Reserve will share the same game viewing area
That's not quite correct. Some (the top-end ones with lots of land) do not share at all, others will share with one or more neighbors. Some of the land is not used commercially, and therefore not accessible to any lodge.

Originally Posted by lowside67
The top rated property in Sabi Sand is the Dulini Lodge and the pricepoint for 2015 was about $1150usd per night for a couple, inclusive of all activities.
Singita's 2016 rack rate is just shy of R 20,000 per person, that's almost US$ 1,300 at the current exchange rate.

As for which property is "best" or should be rated the highest, that's a matter of opinion.

Johan
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Awesome info.
Thank you. Looks like it may be better to go July or August ?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
If you can go to Kenya in late July or any time in August you have an exceptional chance of not only seeing the great migrations but also crossings (wildebeest and zerbras crossing the Mara and Talek River risking their lives vs. the crocs).

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
If you can go to Kenya in late July or any time in August you have an exceptional chance of not only seeing the great migrations but also crossings (wildebeest and zerbras crossing the Mara and Talek River risking their lives vs. the crocs).

That would be amazing. Any thoughts on the four seasons Serengeti ?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:13 pm

I am not a huge fan of large hotels in the bush. They have over 100 beds. I would use it if I had a conference "in the bush" or legal group, CLE, or something. If you want luxury, then nothing beats Singita!

Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:27 pm

That good ? So a Serengeti / masa Mara combo ?Or saregeti and a couple nights in the crater?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

The singita lodges in Tanzania are 4K per night in June..
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:56 pm

In July, I would stick with Kenya only. If you want something a bit more budget friendly check out a circuit with Lewa Wilderness in Lewa Downs, Sarara in the Matthews Range, and possible a combo of Naboisho and Rekerro on the Mara using stay4pay3 on the last two. There are a million options. What is your budget and how many nights do you want to be at safari lodges for that budget? With that info I can give a much better recommendation that includes the internal flights. Mara Plains is about 1500 per night by the way. It is one of the nicer spots in the Mara.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:25 am

Looking at probably a 10 day trip. If we do ken/ tan I'm thinking 7-8 nights in lodges? If South Africa we would do a combo between lodges and Cape Town. I'm thinking the lodges would be around 1000 per person per day
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:29 am

That is very helpful. For Kenya, perhaps consider late June which means you might catch the front end of the migrations. Maybe you miss crossings but you will get shoulder rates and mega-fauna at Mara Plains. You could do three nights at Ol Donyo Lodge with four at Mara Plains on stay6/fly-free. Price should be just slightly over $1000 pppn. For South Africa, you could do do Tintswalo (private reserve adjacent to the Kruger) with a private guide x 4 and Tswalu x 4 (private land in NW of South Africa in Kalahari). These lodges are unrelated despite the similar name. Or you could do MalaMala Rattrays x 3 with Tswalu x 4. These lodges pair together really well and both South Africa trips would be under $1000 pppn WITH air transport round trip Jo' burg.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Hi Craig,

Perhaps you can weigh in - when I was in Sabi Sand last year I stayed at Elephant Plains and was quite pleased with the game viewing - easily saw the big 5 in 4 game drives and had some excellent other spottings.

Now that I am considering taking my girlfriend back, is there a real advantage to one of the properties within Sabi Sand that has more private land, or are the traverse rights from Elephant Plains "just as good?" I went to Kruger after Sabi Sand and found the experience in Sabi Sand to be much better and I am wondering if more private land or traverse rights would be even better yet.

Our budget is really a hard maximum of about 10,000 ZAR per night as a couple but would prefer to spend less than this and we are hoping to go in March or April.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. We will likely opt for a land transfer from JNB to the lodge and then a flight out from the lodge to Capetown for the second half of our trip.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by lowside67; Jan 5, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Hi Lowside - we use Elephant Plains quite a bit as it is a budget friendly option for clients looking for value. In the Sabi Sands, the bigger factor that affects animal viewing is if the lodge is on the Sand or Sabi River or not on the River. Elephant Plains is north of Lonodlozi and MalaMala both which have the Sand River flowing through them. In the dry season, as the seasonal water sources in the Kruger dry-up, more and more animals have to come to these Rivers to drink. This makes the concentration of animals higher on the River front properties as the dry season progresses from April through October when the rains usually begin in earnest again. BUT, they have to walk (or run) through Elephant Plains to get to the River if coming from the NE!!

I do believe, based on many personal safari experiences in the area, and the feedback from many clients that the River front properties will offer more animals per day but how much more is the real question and is it worth it? The Sand and Sabi River valley is the best leopard habitat in Southern Africa in my opinion. BUT, I think you are totally fine going to Elephant Plains or any of the properties up there that they co-traverse with. If you want to try something different, Tanda Tula in the Timbavati has stay4pay3 in April and March and will be in your price range. At today's exchange rate, Kirkman's Kamp which IS on the River should also be in your price range. You could pair Kirkmans or Tanda Tula with Mashatu on their stay4pay3 special which makes their rate about $375 per night. Honeyguide is about 20 miles north of Elephant Plains and also has specials in April and March in your range.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Kirkman seems to be 14,520 ZAR per night for the two of us which is a bit beyond the budget although it looks like a beautiful property. I have never been to the Timbavati Reserve although having had such an excellent experience in Sabi, I am a bit nervous to go anywhere else, though I understand the rates are a bit lower there.

I will chat with my girlfriend, thanks again for your insight.

Mark
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:35 pm

Mark - &beyond has progressive discounts the longer you stay at Kirkmans. I think you get 15% off on a four night stay which would put the cost at about 12,500 per night or about $750 total. This is the least expensive property other than possibly Savanna that will get you game drives on the Sand or Sabi River.

The Timbavati is north of Sabi Sands but about 30 miles and has excellent animal viewing as well!

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:07 pm

Would you classify &beyond as a luxury lodge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.