Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Visa CC acceptance in Kenya & Tanzania (trip report)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Just got back from 3 days in Kenya & 8 days in Tanzania. Great trip! But if you're from the US and want to use your CC in Kenya, be aware that, more often than not, it might not work. I was warned about this by my bank (Chase) ahead of time; they said Kenya is on a list of countries that it's going to be tough using my CC in, because of fraud concerns (even though they knew I'd be traveling there) and technical. In fact, I tried to use it 5 times, and it only worked once (at Karen Blixen museum). It didn't even work at the Nairobi airport. Thankfully, the attempts to use it didn't cause the card to be blocked (I had three different cards with me, just in case that happened).

Tanzania? Worked everywhere! ATMs, small shops, big shops, no issues.

Just figured this might be useful for some, knowing that you'll have to bring more cash into Kenya than planned. Dollars, by the way, are accepted everywhere. You have to watch the effective exchange rate, and if somebody's quoting you a dollar amount that doesn't square with Tanzanian or Kenyan Shillings, you can usually get them to change the amount to something closer to reality. Having said that, there were many times the dollar rate was actually better than if paid with Shillings.

Interesting countries! It's all part of the fun of travel. I don't say that sarcastically at all. If you want everything to be just like home, don't leave home.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:38 pm

It is extremely rare for any credit card to be accepted outside tourist areas in Tanzania.

By far the best way to get local currency is through an ATM or, if you have US $100 bills (2006 or later), at a reputable forex place. Black market currency exchange is illegal in Tanzania and, aside from that, there is no good reason to do it.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Sabasi
It is extremely rare for any credit card to be accepted outside tourist areas in Tanzania.

By far the best way to get local currency is through an ATM or, if you have US $100 bills (2006 or later), at a reputable forex place. Black market currency exchange is illegal in Tanzania and, aside from that, there is no good reason to do it.
I was able to use a debit card in a small town in Tanzania without trouble, but clearly, as a "tourist", my travels defined what would be considered to be "tourist areas."

What's the definition of "black market currency exchange?" Is it illegal for a shop to accept either Shillings or Dollars? That would create a rather massive number of illegal transactions in Tanzania, so I suspect I'm misunderstanding something. I never went to anyone to exchange dollars for shillings; my reference to exchange rates was in determining whether a given purchase made sense to do in dollars or shillings.

Hotels did have currency exchange available though, with rates posted on the wall. They varied fairly significantly from hotel to hotel, for what it's worth.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:55 am

Which town?

Hotels accept dollars because they make a profit on the exchange. The going rate now is 1,700 TZS per USD. Anything lower than that is profitable. You will not see any black market currency exchange transactions except where tourists are highly concentrated. But, again, there is no good reason to ever participate in them. It is so easy to get TZS from legitimate sources and in far safer ways (not to mention taking out a wad of cash in public and tempting whoever is nearby to grab it and run or follow you because you have proven just how much cash you are carrying). Also, never trust the police not to entrap western tourists into compromising positions, where the only way out is paying "compensation".
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been traveling to and around east Africa for many years, and my US Visa card issuer must have flagged my account to accept charges from anywhere in the world because I don't have a problem using it anywhere in the world, even Kenya.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:17 am

My experience is exactly the opposite. Never had any problems in Kenya, but major struggle to get the transactions processed in Tanzania.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
My experience is exactly the opposite. Never had any problems in Kenya, but major struggle to get the transactions processed in Tanzania.
The further irony is that my bank, Chase, has purchased in whole a bank in Kenya. But Chase doesn't "see" it as anything but another bank in Kenya. I told my bank officer that seemed a bit odd. She said no, it's Kenya, that's all the explanation required.
Which town?

Hotels accept dollars because they make a profit on the exchange. The going rate now is 1,700 TZS per USD. Anything lower than that is profitable. You will not see any black market currency exchange transactions except where tourists are highly concentrated. But, again, there is no good reason to ever participate in them. It is so easy to get TZS from legitimate sources and in far safer ways (not to mention taking out a wad of cash in public and tempting whoever is nearby to grab it and run or follow you because you have proven just how much cash you are carrying). Also, never trust the police not to entrap western tourists into compromising positions, where the only way out is paying "compensation".
Can you point me to a decent online map of Northern Tanzania? Neither Googlemaps nor Bing nor anything else I've tried to find makes it appear Tanzania has anything more than 6 or 7 cities/villages in the Northern Triangle region, yet we passed through many. With a bit of help I can identify the small town where my ATM worked for you. This might be the location-

3°22'19.1"S 35°48'32.1"E

-3.371982, 35.808914

Pretty sure it wasn't Mto Wa Mbu, as the town was on a grade.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:21 pm

There's no town or village at those coordinates. But it's not too far from Naabi Hill Gate, which definitely would have facilities for credit/debit card acceptance. That's the southeast entrance/exit gate for Serengeti National Park and has several shops, etc. that cater to tourists and tour guides (all on a slope).

Did you go to Ndutu Safari Lodge?

Mto Wa Mbu is a tourist trap, in my opinion. Many tour guides take their clients to shops there. They get a cut of whatever the clients buy.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

There's no town or village at those coordinates. But it's not too far from Naabi Hill Gate, which definitely would have facilities for credit/debit card acceptance. That's the southeast entrance/exit gate for Serengeti National Park and has several shops, etc. that cater to tourists and tour guides (all on a slope).

Did you go to Ndutu Safari Lodge?

Mto Wa Mbu is a tourist trap, in my opinion. Many tour guides take their clients to shops there. They get a cut of whatever the clients buy.
Not Naabi Hill Gate; that was in fact our entrance to the park though. An odd little place, fantastic view if you climb the small hill. I was using the satellite view of Google Maps, trying to find something that looked like the place we stopped. Maybe Karatu? Found a few photos that look familiar.

We stayed at Serena Lodges everywhere but the last night, at Tarangire, where we stayed at a Sopa.

By the way, we had a FANTASTIC time in Tanzania. All except for the last night, for me, anyway. I had been really careful about the water, but suspect the many salads I ate may have taken their toll; spent most of the night in the bathroom.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
FWIW the Visa card that I use throughout Africa and the world is issued by Wells Fargo.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:44 am

Not surprsed that some places in Karatu accept debit/credit cards. It's on the main highway to Ngorongoro and has many places to stay in the immediate area.

For ordinary gastroenteritis, Loperamide plus one 500mg dose of Cipro is best. If that doesn't work, a parasite might be involved like entamoeba. What is often prescribed in TZ for that is one dose of Secnidazole.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:51 am

Bizarre that the OP had that experience. Had no problems using several cards in August and September in Nairobi and at one of the Maasai Mara lodges. I told all the banks ahead of time and didn't get declined once both in touristy areas and off the beaten path shops and stores. Used Chase SP, Barclay Arrival +(Chip and PIN), and Citi AA Exec MC.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Not surprsed that some places in Karatu accept debit/credit cards. It's on the main highway to Ngorongoro and has many places to stay in the immediate area.

For ordinary gastroenteritis, Loperamide plus one 500mg dose of Cipro is best. If that doesn't work, a parasite might be involved like entamoeba. What is often prescribed in TZ for that is one dose of Secnidazole.
Wow, you nailed it! That is *exactly* what I took. It worked; no further issues past 6am. Wish that I could do something about it ahead of time; had something similar on my return from Thailand last year. It would be a shame if I had to forego salads on such trips. but common sense might be suggesting that's an appropriate course of action. I doubt I picked it up from cooked foods, and normally don't have issues when deviating from my normal eating habits (when in Thailand or Tanzania or China or whatever, I intentionally choose whatever the local or regional foods are; if I want a hamburger, I can get all I want back home).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:54 pm

Secnidazole is not currently available in the US but can be purchased without a prescription at virtually any dispensary in TZ.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xchpstang
Bizarre that the OP had that experience. Had no problems using several cards in August and September in Nairobi and at one of the Maasai Mara lodges. I told all the banks ahead of time and didn't get declined once both in touristy areas and off the beaten path shops and stores. Used Chase SP, Barclay Arrival +(Chip and PIN), and Citi AA Exec MC.
So you used two cards that weren't C&P or C&S without issue? My cards are all issued by Chase, and Chase told me ahead of time exactly how things would likely go in Kenya, despite knowing and noting in my record I was traveling there.

It wouldn't surprise me that C&P (Chip & Pin) or C&S (Chip & Signature) cards would be more likely to work, but I think you are saying that two of our cards were standard mag stripe? And worked?

Whatever the case, it would certainly be wise for someone from the US to keep in mind that their cards might not work in Kenya.

Had no problems anywhere in Thailand, or China. My profile should certainly indicate overseas use to be the norm, especially in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.